Sexing the Baby Deremensis

FL Chams

Established Member
Site Sponsor
I shot a pic of one of the Baby Deremensis with my macro lens. You can clearly see where the horns are coming through on this baby male. Notice the scales circling the central horn. Also is a pic I just entered into the photo contest. Look at the baby hanging with one leg.

Attachments

• Cham Forum Pic Scale.jpg
    Cham Forum Pic Scale.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 366
  • Cham Forum Pic.jpg
    Cham Forum Pic.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 255
I swear, that's my new favorite cham, LOL. Maybe someday....

Where the horn is coming in, I swear looks like a flower, LOL. Almost looks like he's smiling!

Great!... we all might as well forfeit the competition. No one can compete with baby photos... let alone a hardly hatched species baby...let alone a hardly hatched species baby that is more blue than ever seen before...

Nice stuff Mike. This is a neat sexing method. I wonder how many other species are like this. Most have little nubs for horns even at birth though.

As you can see it's pretty easy to distinguish between the males and the females.

Attachments

• Baby D Female Scales.jpg
    Baby D Female Scales.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 288
I have been telling yo upeople for FIVE years - get deremensis... but nobody listens. They are not easy to breed, but they are about the hardiest montane species you will find. I find them much easier to acclimate, and keep, than even jacksonii. They are much less sensative to vitamins than other montanes (I raised a small CB with esentially the same vitamin/mineral regiment as my calyptratus babies), and they don't really require a heat lamp. I have only seen (and heard of) gravid females basking.

They are VERY mellow,and friendly chameleons - the only time I had one show any aggression to me was when I interrupted a territorial dispute, and my male (in full breeding "mode") stabbed me with his horn. EVERY deremensis I've owned has eaten from my hands within minutes of arrival. In fact, I pulled out a male I got just a couple weeks ago. I held him in one hand, checking his feet and bruises from shipping, he was not happy. Still, after messing with him for a few minutes, he ate a cricket from my hand, while he perched in my other hand. they are just too relaxed...

And they are long lived animals. There are some males (on a farm) in Tanzania that are over 9 years old.

Mike, someone told me that the females can sometimes have the horn scales. Heard anything like that? I'm pretty sure Liddy Kammer said the sexing was 100%, and they should know.

I can't see even a vestige of a horn scale like that on my females, so I'm thinking that you are probably right.

Eric,

I've had many Deremensis and they are VERY hardy and all have had a nice calm dispostion. I've given a few to some breeder friends and now have 26 left. They're eating well and will be for sale in a couple of months.

I have many emails from people interested. If you are interested.

Let me know.

I encourage everyone to do their homework and study as much as you can with all species you may be working with and you will be successful as I have with these rarer species. I love Panthers and have tons of them, but these species I enjoy equally as much if not more. All it takes is consistent care. Consistency and knowledge is the key. Honestly Consistency being equally as important.

Thank you for all of the replies and interest in my breeding projects.

Those babies are amazing. I might have to take one off of your hands when they are ready to go. Deremensis are definately one of my favorites. They are very mellow and mine would take food from my hand from the time I brought them home. They seem pretty hardy too. I am curious if they are this tame in the wild.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom