Sexing R. Brevicaudatus?

PygmyBeardie

I got these three pymy chameleons from LLL Reptile a few weeks ago. I asked for two females and one male. I'm trying to breed, and if my "male" turns out to be a girl, its size indicates that it may be gravid. Please help! I've posted as many pictures of each as I can find.

1 - "female" - Sita
Picture015.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture032-1.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Picture045.jpg

2 - "female" - Kali Ma
Picture049.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture048.jpg

3 - "male" - Vishnu
Picture020-1.jpg

Picture029.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg

0111101746-01.jpg

And all three in one video, if it interests you.

Vishnu is much larger than the "girls" and has a longer tail. The former led me toward female, the latter toward male. Kali Ma is slightly larger than Sita, and has a slightly longer tail. Very very subtle differences between the two "girls," though.

Thank you for your opinion, Lisa. That's what I thought too... but LLL Reptile packaged her/him separately as a male, so I'm not sure :/

Vishnu may not be a Brev-but a Spectrum??? Picture are hard to tell-and I may be wrong.

Also-Kali looks to be male. Any better clearer pics showing the entire tail and from the side?

Vishnu is a male. Kali Ma is male(better pic just to make sure). Sita is a female. Here is a thread you can use for reference.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/sexing-pygmies-101-a-35381/

I agree that the last two are male.
The first one is female.
Now, here's what I am not sure of ...
Not entirely certain the last animal pictured is in fact R. brevicaudatus.

I have only been working with the species for about a year, but I have had about 60 animals, either brought in for my personal collection, hatched here or brought in for shows.
Anyone else have an opinion about the ID of the third animal?

-Brad

Juli,
You beat me too it.
I was thinking spectrum as well.
Quite sizable animal.

I will take him off your hands or trade for a couple of female brevs if you like

-Brad

I agree with Julirs, it may be a R.Spectrum. Here is a picture for reference. I can kind of see the little horn thing on its nose, but looks a little smaller.

**I attached a photo from FlChams website

Attachments

• Spectrum%201.jpg
    Spectrum%201.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 122
I agree with Julirs, it may be a R.Spectrum. Here is a picture for reference. I can kind of see the little horn thing on its nose, but looks a little smaller.

**I attached a photo from FlChams website

Looking at that image... I don't think he's a spectrum. His tail is much thinner than the tail on the pic you attached.

Yep-male. Tail and striping.

Uh-oh... That means I have two males housed together? They don't seem to mind eachother when they are together... Also, Kali Ma and Sita were in the same tub (only about five inches in diameter) on the way here (Atlanta) from LLL Reptile. Is it likely Sita is gravid?

Juli,
You beat me too it.
I was thinking spectrum as well.
Quite sizable animal.

I will take him off your hands or trade for a couple of female brevs if you like

-Brad

If it turns out to be incompatible with the others for breeding purposes, or if it turns out to be a bad idea to keep Vishnu with the others, I may take you up on that....

A bigger concern is that you are housing two different species together.
The animal in question is too big to be a brevicaudatus.

-Brad

Hey Brad and Julirs, maybe a Temporalis? Saw a picture on Chameleon news and kinda looks like it.

Attachments

• Pic-24.jpg
    Pic-24.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom