Sexing High-Casqued Chameleon

Vinyonga

I think this young high-casqued (von Hohnel's / helmeted) chameleon is a male, but I'm not sure.
I found it (wild) a few days ago, and took a few photos...unfortunately I didn't take any shots of the base of its tail, but perhaps somebody could give me an opinion just from its head?

I have some photos of other, similarly-aged high-casqueds if that helps.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC_0100.JPG
    DSC_0100.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC_0123.JPG
    DSC_0123.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 484
Maybe I'm seeing things strangely, but I feel like there is an apparent hemipenal bulge in the first two pictures. I would say male!

Vinyonga said:
I think you're right.
Any idea how old it may be?

I'm not too sure. He is definitely adult though. I know they can usually average 3-5 inches nose to vent...so I would say your little guy is close to full grown. I would pm Chris Anderson a pic and see if he could give a more educated guess. Thanks for sharing the pic, lovely species!!

Also, you can try messaging Trace, one of the administrators on here. She is very good at sexing the chameleons that are not so common like the Panthers and Veilds. I am not sure that species is sexed by the bulge, so I am not going to comment!

I think this young high-casqued (von Hohnel's / helmeted) chameleon is a male, but I'm not sure.
I found it (wild) a few days ago, and took a few photos...unfortunately I didn't take any shots of the base of its tail, but perhaps somebody could give me an opinion just from its head?

I have some photos of other, similarly-aged high-casqueds if that helps.

how long have you had him he looks a bit sick i see it in his eyes..you dont notice they look glossy thats one of the signs

how long have you had him he looks a bit sick i see it in his eyes..you dont notice they look glossy thats one of the signs
I catch wild chameleons, keep them for a few days and then release them (he's since been released).
I know it looks glossy, but it's just the reflection from the trees. His eyes looked perfectly normal the rest of the time.

ok cool nice to see the pictures where are you located now?
I catch wild chameleons, keep them for a few days and then release them (he's since been released).
I know it looks glossy, but it's just the reflection from the trees. His eyes looked perfectly normal the rest of the time

Back
Top Bottom