Setup help and seeking advice

memknock6699

So I got a female jackson cham for about a week now for my bday from a pet store but I'm starting to get worried about her...this is my first reptile EVER so advice will be really appreciated.
Her cage is glass 10x20x12 10gal i don't use the bulbs that came with it they changed them out for a cham. i got a uvb and and 60watt running now I leave them on for 12hrs a day is that OK? To start the day first I turn on the uvb light and let if run for a 1/2 hour then the heat lamp. And at night i do the same heat lamp off for a 1/2 hour then the uvb.
The humidity stays between 30-75% it seems to rise when i mist her cage I'm still trying to regulate it but haven't got it down yet. I'm using coconut husk for the bedding (the pet store guy said this is good to use). Theres moss and plastic plants in her house.
But I feel as if shes stressed from what I can see. She'll get darl spots like the picture below when she jsut sits there the onlt time shes green is at night. She just sits there in the same spot and doesn't move all day I don't except her to move all around but at least change her position. The only time she does move is for food 3-4 full crickets she doesn't seem to like meal worms the dish usually stays full.
The only time she chages to a green is at night when she sleeps. And to drink water I cant seem to get here to drink only by hand with a turkey baster LOL I know..if i'm missing any info for you please ask over the week I've grown really fond of her and would hate for anything bad to happen cause of me thanks for any help

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 01312.jpg
    01312.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 123
if i were you id get a shield or something big to hide behind while reading the responses about the type of cage and size and overall everything you have compared to what i have read on other threads/posts.

I trying to be responsible and get any help I can to correct ANY and ALL problems. Like I stated this was a gift and my first reptile EVER. So of course I'm not knowing any or all info. On the matter I'm seeking help not a smart remark as for the shelid thing thanks for the info on that but atleast I'm coming forward and asking for help

Javsto-That is funny!

Ok-the caging you have is perfect for a leopard gecko, but not for a chameleon, especially a Jacksons like you have there. Your cham looks fine, but you need to make a few changes. First of all, you need a larger cage. Chameleons need vertical space. I would say screen, but you are in Alaska there-so the biggest size Exoterra might to better for you. Then, you need to get rid of the substrate-it can be dangerous, and as much as you should be misting your cham, it will just turn into goopy soup. What kind of UVB bulb do you have. The screw in compacts have been known to cause eye issues. Otherwise-on for 12 hours is good and a basking bulb is good-but you need to use a digital thermometer to measure your temps. THe cage you have will get hot very fast and Jacksons need a basking spot in the low 80's. After you get your caging, lighting and temps under control you need to research supplementing.

I trying to be responsible and get any help I can to correct ANY and ALL problems. Like I stated this was a gift and my first reptile EVER. So of course I'm not knowing any or all info. On the matter I'm seeking help not a smart remark as for the shelid thing thanks for the info on that but atleast I'm coming forward and asking for help

I'm sure he wasn't trying he be rude, there is just SO much you need to fix and learn, and at first while everyone is throwing necessities and suggestions at you it can be very overwhelming. Once you have your start up costs covered though, maintenance is fairly easy. Julie made it a little easier on you by giving you the first step and waiting to go on to the next.

Also, once you get your new set up, I would clean and try to return that kit. I know they're expensive and the only thing I see useful in it for a chameleon is one of the lamp domes. Unless you want to keep it and also get a gecko. OR! I just saw the coolest things at the pet store, they called them moon crabs, but I think they are actually Halloween crabs. Interesting to watch eat...

i live in michigan and i know it is nothing like alaska, but our winters are dry and they suck for reptiles. u need a bigger cage. llc reptiles makes a good setup for $100 shipped (not sure to ak). use live plants that pretty much fill the whole cage, pack them in there. (there is a really good safe plants list on this forum) these plants will help increase the humidity levels and get a screen enclosure, dont bother wish the moss (this comes with the llc setup) as ur feeders will only hide in it. mist at least 4 or 5 times a day. if u can not mist that often get a mister. (my roommate mists while im at work). chameleons are by far the best reptiles to own, as far as entertainment. not good to handle all that much as they will be stressed. go luck with your chameleon.

Well your female actually looks really good, but in order for that to prevail you need to move her to a screen cage fast. That aquarium is too small for a 60watt bulb. Jacksons like milder temperatures around the mid 70s with a basking spot of about 80-82F. 84F would be the absolute limit for her basking spot, but only if she has an area of the cage that allows her to escape the heat bulb to regulate her body temperature. Lose the coconut fiber and get some real plants if you can. I have a friend in Anchorage and I know some of these items might be somewhat difficult to acquire, especially this time of the year, but then again I could be completely wrong on that note. I would think that the plants might be scarce there in the winter. Overall, you got lucky in that you have a good looking Jackson considering it came from a pet store. Let's keep it that way. You acme to the right place, there are a ton of very knowlegable people on this forum who are more than willing to help out. Good luck!

memknock, can you tell me about your lights? I notice you have 2.

From what I've read, you can keep them in aquariums if you set the lights up correctly. They do, however, like to climb up and down, so if you can be on the lookout for something taller, that would be good.

You do not need a screen cage. Where you are, you'd develop humidity issues in no time and people would then be recommending you seal up the screen with plastic.

You just need to make sure there is air flow and with the set up you have, you do that by offsetting the heat lamp to the side, and allowing cool air to be pulled down into the enclosure on the other side. I think it looks like you have that, but I'm not sure.

Kinyonga is the expert on working with tanks. Hopefully she will see this thread and step in.

Going back to your set up. I think you can turn both lights on at the same time, but that's really your choice.

Most of us avoid substrate. Some chameleons accidentally eat it and problems ensue. Plus, it's so much easier to clean a floor with nothing on it. You might want to look into drainage options.

I think you should consider putting a live plant in the enclosure. That will help immeasurably with the humidity.

It can take them a week to adjust so I wouldn't be overly worried just yet, but you definitely do want to be concerned and attentive. Dark is bad. Triangular or diamond shaped markings is worse.

I think its kinda hard to establish different temp gradients in an aquarium that size. I would think if you use an aquarium it should be bigger so the cham can regulate its temps a little better,

A suggested Chameleon setup :)

Cage type
cage3.01.jpg

UVB lighting
reptisun5.jpg

Or

zoo_med_reptisun5_compact.jpg

Heating bulb

Crompton-Lighting-Incandescent-Reflector-ES-Base-Bulb.jpg

Live plants

Schefflera_arboricola.jpg

Vines for horizontal walking

rex-bio-vine.jpg

Dripper
96125194-260x260-0-0_Zoo+Med+Zoo+medium+Little+Dripper+Zoo+medium.jpg

Quality thermometer /hygrometer

69p_thermometer_hygrometer_ht.jpg

Misting bottle of some kind

spray-bottle.jpg

No substrate or water bowl, ensure drainage.

I believe you do it laterally. It's warmer on one side. That's what makes the ventilation work.

**edited to add**

My comment is in response to this:
Samcham1
I think its kinda hard to establish different temp gradients in an aquarium that size. I would think if you use an aquarium it should be bigger so the cham can regulate its temps a little better,

I totally agree mate, but if you were to use an aquarium, one that size would be hard to establish temp gradients suitable for a Jacksons cham dont cha think?:D

Im making a new setup now will post when its done tonight I took advice from everyone and lets hope it turns out right

I really aperciate all this help I went and changed alot of things so ok this is just the start of my new home for her. I would have to buy more stuff tommorrow but this is what I got so far:

16x16x20 reptibreeze mesh cage its small but the biggest the petstore had, a digital thermometer, repti bark, water dish, lilttle dripper, 13w uvb light, 60w heat light, just come crawling twigs for right now, a bottle mister, need to get a better humidity meter....um I think thats it so far. But how would I go about keeping humidity in now that I got an all mesh cage. I'm gonna buy a drip tray for the run off water to leave the cage when I mist but hows it look so far??

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 111
Wow-you move fast-that is great! I would suggest at least an 18X18X36-but when you get a bigger one you will have that one to use when you deep clean, or better yet when you get another chameleon! I would ditch the substrate-it truly can be dangerous if they shoot at an insect and also eat some if it-can result in impaction issues. Take some fishing line or garbage bag ties and take the vine and make it run horizontally about 8" under the top of the cage so the animal can sit in the UVB and bask-that is where you want to measure the basking temp with a digital thermometer-no higher than low 80's. Then get a live Pothos, Ficus, or Schfflera or 2 to fill the cage. I will see if I can get a picture here to show you.

Told you I've gronwn really attached to her and would take any advice/help I can to make sure she lives a happy life. On the humdity staying in I was thinking of adding those nature backgrounds to 3 of the open walls leaving the front and top open for vetilation. So completely remove the substrate and just put those live plants on the bottom then? Just say the word and it'll get changed :)

Told you I've gronwn really attached to her and would take any advice/help I can to make sure she lives a happy life. On the humdity staying in I was thinking of adding those nature backgrounds to 3 of the open walls leaving the front and top open for vetilation. So completely remove the substrate and just put those live plants on the bottom then? Just say the word and it'll get changed :)

Yep-or if you want to make life really easy-get a small stand to raise the plant up just enough so water does not pool up under the plant and you can wipe the cage bottom with a paper towel. You can also use plain plastic to cover the sides.

Back
Top Bottom