Settling in still or something else??

Time420

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Ambilobe, Male, he is about 3 to 3 1/2 months, and weight on 3/27/10 was 5g. Got him last wednesday 3/24/10
* Handling - took him out once to weigh him
* Feeding - mantis (on there 2nd molt), crickets ( 1/8), silks (small), supers (small), horn worm (look for the small ones but damn they grow fast), and had some house flies. The Dubia Roaches i got are all too big, have them in a tub for breeding. I feed Archie 5-7 crickets and 2 supers around 9am, a silk or 2, or just 1 horn around 2pm if i'm home, then around 6 or 7pm 5-7 crickets and mix it up with silk, horn or mantis (mantis are the only thing he has hand feed so far). Gut load (mix) has orange, papaya, romaine, carrots, apple, squash, bee pollen, spriulina, collard greens, sweet potato, mustard greens, zuchini, I think that's it (wife is still kinda fussy about the mess i made lol). crix also get dry hi cal food (Ghann's)
* Supplements - *see pics*
Week1:mon-fri:calcium without d3 sat:none sun: calcium with d3
week2:mon-fri: calcium without d3 sat: none sun: multivitamin
week3:repeat week 1
week4:repeat week 2 without multivitamin.
I dust about 5 (1/8) crix in morning and evening
* Watering - Mist king, misted 5 times a day first mist is 5 min the rest are 3 min. I have seen him drink a few times, his poops are very white.
* Fecal Description - *see pics*. He has not been tested for parasites.
* History - only had him a week and not sure if this is normal, hopefully i'm getting freaked for no reason.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - *see pic*
* Lighting - Reptisun 5.0, and plant bulb (tubes) and a 50watt plant bulb on a dimmer for basking. Lights on at 8am off 9pm
* Temperature - he will just climb on the roof to the lights so i moved some branches up, i see him basking under the uvb and plant tube light around 82-84F, and down in cage at 72F. His basking spot is 80F. Lowest over night temp would be 60F. I use a digital temp and humidity gauge with probes, and Raytek mini temp gun (point and shoot for temp).
* Humidity -average of 50% humidity goes way up to like 80% when misted, i also have cool air humidifier if needed. There is black plastic on the back and 1 side of the cage to help keep it in too.
* Plants - Pothos and a Schefflera
* Placement - Cage is in corner of room it is a loft setup where i have him so one big room where we watch tv and chill. There is a AC vents on the far side of the room. The only traffic would be the dogs, and us in and out of that room now and then. Top of lil Archie's cage is about 5 feet of the ground.
* Location - Ohio, about 50 miles south of cleveland.

Current Problem - On 3/30/10 around 5:30pm Archie went down low in his Schefflera like he was gonna sleep but his eyes were open and not sleeping colors till about 7pm or later. He is darker than normal but it is around 72F where he gets. He did the same yesterday and today, around the same time. When i first got him he did not go down in a sleeping area untill 7-8pm. He seems fine during the day takes about an hr to "wake up" eats good cruses around the cage all day till about 5:30pm. Is he still getting adjusted to new home, or could this be the start to something, should i be worried, or am I jumping the gun here? :confused:

Attachments

• supplements.jpg
    supplements.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 116
  • 3-31-10.jpg
    3-31-10.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 4-1-10.jpg
    4-1-10.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 146
  • poop spot.jpg
    poop spot.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 150
  • cage 4-1-10.jpg
    cage 4-1-10.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 125
The dogs could be an issue but then I would expect him to go up away from them. My best guess is "new mother syndrome" , even guys get it when they become new moms to these little creatures.:D

yeah I thought the dogs might bother him, we try to keep them outta there but the boxer will not be "kept out" she is my shadow :p Does everything else im doing sound good? Tried to take all the info i got/get here and put it to use. Guess i just have to get some more experience with the behavior of these lil guys, till then look for more of me freaking out :rolleyes::p

yeah I thought the dogs might bother him, we try to keep them outta there but the boxer will not be "kept out" she is my shadow :p Does everything else im doing sound good? Tried to take all the info i got/get here and put it to use. Guess i just have to get some more experience with the behavior of these lil guys, till then look for more of me freaking out :rolleyes::p

More freaking out???? Welcome to my world.lol

everything is good but, whats the actual temp of the basking area?

looks like a kammers setup? My kammers are having trouble adjusting too but everyday is getting better, I think for me its my elevation! (mile high)

sounds like your fine, I am not a expert here but you may be over watering?
is the water your using distilled or purified?

It does take them time to learn the new digs and adjust. That actually looks like a really good place to sleep. It's not uncommon for mine to go to their favored sleep spot an hour before "lights out"....and as this is a new situation, his old schedule and your new schedule might not mesh.

everything is good but, whats the actual temp of the basking area?

looks like a kammers setup? My kammers are having trouble adjusting too but everyday is getting better, I think for me its my elevation! (mile high)

sounds like your fine, I am not a expert here but you may be over watering?
is the water your using distilled or purified?

The actual temp of his basking spot is 80F but he keeps getting to areas that are 83-84F.

Yeah, it's a kammers setup :D

I use RO water for everything with Archie.

Thanks Everyone for replies :D

If you have the cage in the same room as the TV and you watch TV late at night, you may want to cover up the cage with a sheet so your chameleon doesn't get waken up at night. That may be why it is trying to rest during the day.
Also, if the cage is not in an isolated area, it will take longer for the chameleon to settle in (I notice that when I had to move some of my chams, to do some rearranging in my cham room).

If you have the cage in the same room as the TV and you watch TV late at night, you may want to cover up the cage with a sheet so your chameleon doesn't get waken up at night. That may be why it is trying to rest during the day.
Also, if the cage is not in an isolated area, it will take longer for the chameleon to settle in (I notice that when I had to move some of my chams, to do some rearranging in my cham room).

Actually just last night when lights went out I put dark sheet over the left side of the cage, so only top and front were open, hope that helps him. I have been dimming down the lights in the main room once his go out too for about a week now. His cage is out of the way, but not what i would call isolated :/ We are hoping to move later this month (fingers still crossed) then he will have his own room. I just know he is gonna be pissed at me for moving him when we do though :eek:

Back
Top Bottom