Setting up Leonardo's enclosure.

extrajordinary

Established Member
So I bought Leonardo's cage today. I put it together and realized it. Is. Huge. HUGE. The little ficus, plastic foliage, and pieces of wood aren't enough to fill the enclosure. I also don't have anything tall enough to provide a basking area for Leo. I've attached photos of my current setup. Can anyone please give me suggestions? I do have a vine that I want to hang up...but I don't know how to attach it to the cage.

Attachments

• IMG_6391.jpeg
    IMG_6391.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6392.jpeg
    IMG_6392.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_6393.jpeg
    IMG_6393.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_6394.jpeg
    IMG_6394.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6395.jpeg
    IMG_6395.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 149
So I bought Leonardo's cage today. I put it together and realized it. Is. Huge. HUGE. The little ficus, plastic foliage, and pieces of wood aren't enough to fill the enclosure. I also don't have anything tall enough to provide a basking area for Leo. I've attached photos of my current setup. Can anyone please give me suggestions? I do have a vine that I want to hang up...but I don't know how to attach it to the cage.

Zip-ties! Use so many zip-ties! They are great for putting together a frame of sticks upon which you can build the rest of your structure.

Also, thumbtacks through the screen sides of the enclosure to hold branches/dowels horizontally.

You definitely need more horizontal branches and more foliage (real or artificial) for your Cham to hide out in.

Last edited:
Zip-ties! Use so many zip-ties! They are great for putting together a frame of sticks upon which you can build the rest of your structure.

Also, thumbtacks through the screen sides ofof t enclosure to hold branches/dowels horizontally.

You definitely need more horizontal branches and more foliage (real or artificial) for your Cham to hide out in.
Duh! Why didn't I think of zip ties? Thanks! Anything you recommend/use for your chameleon(s)?

Duh! Why didn't I think of zip ties? Thanks! Anything you recommend/use for your chameleon(s)?

In terms of zip ties? Nothing specifically in terms of brand. Just make sure that when you cut off the extra tail you don't leave any jagged edges your cham can cut itself on.

Other than that, make sure you carry the size of sticks and vines in your enclosure so your cham's feet don't develop sores from always grasping the same sized perch.

In terms of zip ties? Nothing specifically in terms of brand. Just make sure that when you cut off the extra tail you don't leave any jagged edges your cham can cut itself on.

Other than that, make sure you carry the size of sticks and vines in your enclosure so your cham's feet don't develop sores from always grasping the same sized perch.
Thank you so much for your advice! I'd never heard that last part about varying the size of sticks and vines but I will definitely do so!

Some specific questions I have:
1. Can I just use sticks/branches from outside?
2. Are silk plants okay or should I only use plastic? (I read somewhere that silk plants are bad...but I don't remember why.)
3. Has anyone used the magnetic "rock" ledges? Opinions?
4. I want to cup feed Leonardo...but I don't know how I should set that up. I was looking at something like this: https://www.joshsfrogs.com/magnaturals-magnetic-feed-and-water-ledge-earth.html
Will crickets easily jump out of this? I read they can jump up to 3 feet... :wideyed: How do I keep them in a cup?

1: as long as you sanitize them
2: try go all live plants if you’re getting a veiled, silk just doesn’t hold water droplets like other fake plants
4: crickets can jump out of this, but it’s great for every other feeder, a pvc pipe feeder cup like the ones from Full Throttle Feeders or a diy one out of pvc pipe or a water jug works for crickets

We also used different size dowel rods from Home Depot, and tiny screws. It does tear the screen a little, but the screw and washer hides it. Probably need a second set of hands to hold the dowel still, and it really helped to drill a small pilot hole first.

Some specific questions I have:
1. Can I just use sticks/branches from outside?
2. Are silk plants okay or should I only use plastic? (I read somewhere that silk plants are bad...but I don't remember why.)
3. Has anyone used the magnetic "rock" ledges? Opinions?
4. I want to cup feed Leonardo...but I don't know how I should set that up. I was looking at something like this: https://www.joshsfrogs.com/magnaturals-magnetic-feed-and-water-ledge-earth.html
Will crickets easily jump out of this? I read they can jump up to 3 feet... :wideyed: How do I keep them in a cup?
Make sure the branches are safe! I would also recommend getting branches that are not too wide, manzanita branches are nice.

1: as long as you sanitize them
2: try go all live plants if you’re getting a veiled, silk just doesn’t hold water droplets like other fake plants
4: crickets can jump out of this, but it’s great for every other feeder, a pvc pipe feeder cup like the ones from Full Throttle Feeders or a diy one out of pvc pipe or a water jug works for crickets
How would I go about sanitizing them? I picked up some sticks that would be perfect on my way into work this morning, but I don't know how to make sure they're safe for little Leo.

Back
Top Bottom