Setting up enclosure framework

RyanBRZ

Avid Member
I just bought my first round of supplies to setup my XL ZooMed reptibreeze. For the framework within, I was hoping to make a frame inside out of bamboo--I bought 30 or so 4-foot pieces of bamboo for this. I cut all of the pieces to fit (4 for each corner, 8 to attach each of the for at both the top and bottom. I cannot figure out how to secure them together. The stuff is impossible to drill through like I was planning on doing. I also have 2 pieces of 6-foot flexible vine. Can anyone provide any input on how to get a frame constructed so I can begin using pieces of vine/bamboo going across the center?

I prefer to not secure anything to the screen itself, like I've seen many people do.

I just bought my first round of supplies to setup my XL ZooMed reptibreeze. For the framework within, I was hoping to make a frame inside out of bamboo--I bought 30 or so 4-foot pieces of bamboo for this. I cut all of the pieces to fit (4 for each corner, 8 to attach each of the for at both the top and bottom. I cannot figure out how to secure them together. The stuff is impossible to drill through like I was planning on doing. I also have 2 pieces of 6-foot flexible vine. Can anyone provide any input on how to get a frame constructed so I can begin using pieces of vine/bamboo going across the center?

I prefer to not secure anything to the screen itself, like I've seen many people do.
I used hot glue to tack everything together, then secured the bamboo framework to each other with string and zip ties

But doesn't the string/zipties slide? I was hoping to put a screw in each piece to give me something to wrap the zip tie/string around. Maybe I can hammer small nails instead of screws...iffy about trusting nails especially since this bamboo will be getting wet.

I saw a video where someone used expandable trellis on each side which would solve my problem. Couldnt find the stuff though

I've used wax covered wire (can find at craft stores) to secure joints together. I also use "gear ties" A LOT, but they get a little pricey. You can get them at hardware stores at a few different sizes. I love them. Here's an amazon link https://smile.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-G...id=1539482505&sr=8-1&keywords=bendy+gear+ties

I also like the gear ties because while I might use them to secure a joint they're long enough to also attach another bendy vine or plant, or whatever to them.

I would avoid screws and nails because they will probably rust and if a sharp edge is poking out it can hurt your cham. Also, they could make the bamboo splinter, right?

Hope this helps!

Thanks amfire, this may be what i need. I agree, the thought of rust did cross my mind.

So are these just essentially sticky flexible straps? What length should i buy to secure one piece of bamboo to another?

@RyanBRZ When I bought them at Lowe's or Home Depot (I don't remember which) they all came in one length, but different diameter thicknesses. They're not super "sticky" to other surfaces, but they stick to themselves really well when you wrap it around to secure something. This is really because whatever wire material is inside of them is strong but it stays wherever you bend it. There is zero recoil once you bend it. So if you're securing two bamboo sticks that are crossing at a perpendicular crossing, I would crisscross these gear twist things as tightly around it as you can, but making sure you crisscross it, and that way the bamboo can't slide. These gear twists won't slide against the bamboo material though, especially after wrapped around.

If you look at the pics of them they also have awkward knobs on the end, so I'd either push them towards the back corners or just deal with them sticking out in awkward positions throughout the cage. They haven't bothered my cham at all. In fact I've seen him crawling around on them, haha. He doesn't know any different.

I got them because they're super strong, they stay put, they don't rust, and they're versatile. I use them inside the cage but also outside the cage to secure my extension cords and all kinds of crap, haha. I've probably purchased over $75 worth of these things tbh.

If I had extras I'd mail them to you to try them :ROFLMAO:

Very valid concern about the sliding, but these might be your solution. You would just have to wrap them around enough, and buy enough of them to complete your entire structure setup that you're trying to build.

Lol thanks for the input. To give you an idea of what I'm trying to do... i have the zoomed reptibreeze xl cage. I have 4 pieces of bamboo, maybe 0.7 inch diameter, one at each corner. I have 8 pieces that will connect these at the top and bottom, basically a frame of the inside. Once the main frame is done I'll probably add more bamboo pieces to give the cham more to climb on

Im not sure that these will work because the material will need some grip on the bamboo. I wonder if waxed twine would be any better.

Does everyone else just secure stuff directly to the screen? This seems sketchy.

@RyanBRZ Well, people do a lot of different things. I personally bought a Dragon Strand enclosure because it comes with "Dragon Ledges" where you can secure things to instead of the screen, but I still secure some things to the screen too. You're right to feel sketchy about securing things to the screen, especially a XL reptibreeze. If you start attaching too much to it, the screen mesh will just shred. Some people use a piece of 2x4 on the top of the cage to hang things from and use for extra support for heavy things, but I always thought that the wood would just get in my way or catch fire from the hot lights.

I can guarantee you're going to want to add more branches and vines than you can imagine. You almost can't add enough branches and vines...For my XL size cage I have about 10 branches from the woods and at least 10 varying size bendy vines that are super long, and it still doesn't feel like enough.

Your bamboo frame idea is not a bad idea at all, but yeah I see your concern. Hot glue is starting to sound like a really great option. It sets in 30-60 seconds so you don't have to sit there forever holding the sticks in place.

Yeah definitely not securing anything to the screen. I figured having this frame would basically give me unlimited options for installing stuff.

I may give the drilling another shot tomorrow. If i can get a big enough hole at the end of each piece i may be able to connect the pieces with a small zip tie.

Hot glue to secure bamboo pieces together that will have some level of weight on them in addition to my cham...no i do not trust hot glue.

Haha, okay, that's fair. Keep trying, though, keep brainstorming, researching, and don't give up! You'll make it work :)

Successful today, was able to drill and get zip ties in. Going to also secure with gear ties.

IMG_20181014_151950.jpg

Back
Top Bottom