Setting up a free range

Zephalia

Established Member
I've decided to begin setting up a free range in my living room for Pete to enjoy. I'm picking up a 4.5 foot ficus tonight which I intend to sit on a stool in front of my large living room window. This will have it standing about 5.5 to 6 feet. I'm going to hang a pothos from the ceiling a few feet over and connect the two with vines. My intent is to set up a standing lamp to aim a basking light at the tree for his hot spot.

This free range will be used for about an hour in the evening when I get home from work, before he goes to bed...and a few hours on both Saturday and Sunday when I'm home. My question to you guys is, will a uvb be required for the free range if he's there for a small portion of the day? The remainder of his time will be spent in his enclosure with full lighting.

Also, if anyone has suggestions or tips for me I'm all ears.

No you are fine. Even in the wild the daylight hours change during the seasons. Mine is in an open door free range and only is in the lamps 2-4 hours a day.

If you want to feel better, just make sure he is getting his weekly or byweekly d3 supplement.

Got my ficus which looks great, propped it up and it's standing about six feet tall. I put him in there and he loves it. Did not want to come out so he's sleeping in there tonight. Got a great adjustable lamp for his heat source. We are happy campers. I set up a shower curtain on the floor to contain the mess. I have a good feeling about this.

Now to slowly get another Pothos, hanging pot, hook, etc...to complete this free range.

It's amazing how quickly I've become hooked on this chameleon hobby. They are fascinating little creatures. Expensive tho!

Back
Top Bottom