Set up light trap.

jacksonchamnew

Avid Member
I can easily collect June bugs, damsel flies and moths with simple light trap. I think that many of the moths come from non agricultural plants or from trees that are never sprayed. June bugs may come from lawns. Even insects in the wild where the chameleons live probably have pesticide residues. What about the chameleons in South Florida and Hawaii that are wild? Does anyone feed these.

Attachments

• lighttrap.jpg
    lighttrap.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 97
  • moth.jpg
    moth.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 97
It just is free food and in larger variety than crickets or roaches. Crickets keep dying no matter what I do? They have mango to eat now and 20 of 50 are dead.

It just is free food and in larger variety than crickets or roaches. Crickets keep dying no matter what I do? They have mango to eat now and 20 of 50 are dead.
What do you keep them in?? I used to have bullfrogs and I bought a cheap container from the dollar store, poked holes in it and they were fine. I didn’t even have many die. I pug egg carton and just added food that came with some of little boxes of crickets I bought on occasion. I was a very uneducated frog owner lol.

What do you keep them in?? I used to have bullfrogs and I bought a cheap container from the dollar store, poked holes in it and they were fine. I didn’t even have many die. I pug egg carton and just added food that came with some of little boxes of crickets I bought on occasion. I was a very uneducated frog owner lol.
I have them in cricket keeper now with aspen bedding with cricket dry food with calcium and fresh fruit or veggies.

I have them in cricket keeper now with aspen bedding with cricket dry food with calcium and fresh fruit or veggies.
Why aspen bedding? Bare bottom with toilet paper rolls or egg cartons so they can get away from each other and then you want to provide a heavy veg diet with a bit of fruit. There are very few brands of dry cricket food that are even worth feeding. If you have two many in one space they will die off. If you do not clean the bin every few days they will die off and if you do not put in new food each day they can die off.

Just be cautious with what you feed. June bugs have hard shells. Certain things like that could cause problems. You also invite in a parasite risk when you feed wild caught bugs. Stay away from lubbers, lady bugs, and lightening bugs.

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

You don’t even need a cricket keeper. I would recommend buying a cheap tote from the dollar store and do what @Beman said. Aren’t the cricket keepers pretty small for that many crickets or am I thinking of something else?

Ok I will make larger cricket keeper. He really enjoyed the June bug. Guide said moths. I would assume that these are wild unless your rear silkworm or hornworm. I studied lots of parasites. Most are very specific for final or definitive host. Outside of the natural habitats of these chameleons, the life cycles will not be completed. I am thinking for cestode and trematode parasites. Can a vet say otherwise?

Not sure about the aspen... I just rotated my bins every 3 days and changed food every day. I use totes that are 12 inches by 7 inches and 15inches tall. Then rotate two. Also banded crickets have less of a die off. Sounds like you know what your doing in reference to parasites. Moths are fine. Just keep in mind. We can not give you a definite answer on all the bugs you may find if some are toxic or not. I know alot will feed katydids and wild grasshoppers. Just watch their legs... Some will pull those off because they can be spiny.

Ok I will make larger cricket keeper. He really enjoyed the June bug. Guide said moths. I would assume that these are wild unless your rear silkworm or hornworm. I studied lots of parasites. Most are very specific for final or definitive host. Outside of the natural habitats of these chameleons, the life cycles will not be completed. I am thinking for cestode and trematode parasites. Can a vet say otherwise?

Another one my chams loved, stink bugs haha. Beetles are a large part of their natural diet.

This just shows a simple life cycle of trematode from frog in O Wilford Olsen 1974 Animal Parasites, Their life cycle and ecology. The intermediate hosts, the snail and insect are used by the parasite but the final definitive host is the frog and the trematode only matures in the frog small intestine. If our Cham eats the intermediate host, the dragonfly, the life cycle meets dead end and the parasite does not get in our Cham. I don't know the life cycle of cham trematode parasites but think that arboreal snails and insects that are not native here are needed.

Attachments

• life cycle.jpg
    life cycle.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 66
For our cham to get infected would require a parasite with a wide definitive host range. June bug may be intermediate host to parasite of bird or native reptiles. I don't know what metacercaria they may carry.

Do people actually breed stink bugs for their chams?? I have them in my house all the time, but I’m assuming it wouldn’t be recommended to feed ones in my house.

Idk anyone personally that has bred them, but I believe it's possible. A lot of creatures in areas that experience winters are a PITA though because often the eggs require a long diapause. I just hatched katydids eggs that took about 8-9 months.

I feed stinkbugs that I find around my house/outside.

Idk anyone personally that has bred them, but I believe it's possible. A lot of creatures in areas that experience winters are a PITA though because often the eggs require a long diapause. I just hatched katydids eggs that took about 8-9 months.

I feed stinkbugs that I find around my house/outside.
You aren’t worried about parasites?

You aren’t worried about parasites?

No not at all. My cham lives outside in the summer too, I purposely have screen with larger holes to allow wild insects to get through. He eats everything that comes by, and I live next to the woods which would remind you of the rainforest lol. Only thing that gives me concern is lightning bugs/fireflies. They are highly toxic and known to kill reptiles.

No not at all. My cham lives outside in the summer too, I purposely have screen with larger holes to allow wild insects to get through. He eats everything that comes by, and I live next to the woods which would remind you of the rainforest lol. Only thing that gives me concern is lightning bugs/fireflies. They are highly toxic and known to kill reptiles.
I am surprised that the diet of wild Jacksons in Hawaii includes Bees and Wasps. Do they not get stung. I know a firefly in my moth trap.

Back
Top Bottom