Seriously Considering a Panther Chameleon

Seems like you pretty much know your stuff. You might want to try to find a vet locally to take him to incase he gets sick or needs a checkup. And maybe check up on symptoms of a sick chameleon so you will know if your little cham is sick and you can get him/her the care they need.:):D Welcome to the Forums

Haha no need for that, it happens to the best of us :) There are definitely times when I've posted on forums and been like "where is my response?" and then its at the actual end of the thread a few pages in when I was looking at the first one. How did you even find this thread, out of curiosity?

wow what a great thread I am picking up my new panther in a couple of weeks too, great info guys, just one question really which do recommend, crickets or locusts? we feed our cresties and dragons locusts

Panther Mum, both are good choices. Use locusts if that's what you have but chameleons need variety, so if you can get crickets and other things to mix in then perfect.

Hi, I'm Danny. I'm new to these forums, but I'm not new to herps. I have or have had bearded dragons, leopard geckos, african fat-tail geckos, crested geckos, anoles, turtles, tortoises, tree frogs, uromastyx, flying geckos, pictus geckos, and others. I am not an irresponsible teenager wanting to buy a chameleon by impulse to show off to friends, just to get bored with it after a week.

I have been fascinated by chameleons since I saw one on tv when I was five. I never really thought I could handle one, but now that I am older and have experience with some easier kept herps, I decided to look into getting a panther chameleon. I have been researching them for about a week now, every night I read until my brain is about to implode. And now, I think I know the basics of keeping them.

My dad is building a cage that is 6 ft tall, 4 ft long, and 3 ft deep. It will be in our basement, so it will be out of the way of a lot of traffic in the house, but I will still be able to maintain its environmental needs. I plan to use some hibiscus, umbrella plants, and other non-toxic, pesticide-free tropical plants around my house. I'll probably spend a decent amount of money getting some nice pretty foliage to help the chameleon feel secure. I will only handle my chameleon when absolutely necessary. I breed crickets, mealworms, silkworms, and I am getting dubia roaches soon.

I think I have the care correct, but if I don't, or if I forgot anything, let me know.
The basking temperature should be 90-95 degrees. The hotter section of the cage should be 80-90. The cooler section should be 70-80. The nighttime temperature should not drop below 65 degrees. The humidity should be maintained at 60-80%. There should be dense foliage to keep the chameleon comfortable. There should be many branches to climb on in order to move around the tank naturally. The branches should be the right thickness for the chameleon's feet to grasp. There should be live non-toxic plants to raise humidity. They will also catch water droplets on their leaves to keep the chameleon hydrated, since they usually will not drink still water (like water in a bowl). They are animals that should be watched, not handled. Do not house chameleons together unless attempting to breed. Even then, do not leave them unattended, or overnight. Do not let them even see another chameleon in order to keep them as stress-free as possible. Do not keep crickets in the cage overnight, as they will attack your sleeping chameleon. UVB is necessary for panther chameleon's optimal health. If I get a baby chameleon I should keep it in a smaller cage to help it's hunting.

Let me know what you think, or if I missed anything/ got anything wrong in the care I have memorized. Also, should I use mesh or wiring for the sides of the cage? Can I use a water feature (waterfall or fountain), I love making natural water scenes in vivariums. Will a waterfall cause bacteria breeding and an unsafe environment? I will research more and more, since I do not plan to get my chameleon too soon.

Danny
Dear danny
Don't use water falls use a drip system any pools of water can drown you chameleon remember to use healthy plants and check they are safe about handling my chameleon is at its brightest when I handle him so he doesn't mind very much I let him roam in my garden while I watch him as I believe aunlight is much better then UVB. I leave my chameleon in his cage outside when is is sunny and even in the night as I live some where where it is warm. I keep my 5month veiled in a 100 gallon flexairium sorry for typos typing these on my ipod. I must stress that not all chameleons like being handled

I highly recommend that you automate your water system. This way you can be sure that your chameleon is getting the water that it need while you are not there. On my 6x4x4 panther cages I use a dripping system to provide the drinking water and a mist king to increase humidity.

Haha, just realized this thread is 6 years old. Probably too late for the original chameleon in question.

LOL! Posting in old threads doesnt matter, as long as the subject is still something of current interest :)

To me, why start a new thread, when you can use an old one that already has a bunch of good stuff in it :D

Back
Top Bottom