• Votes: 11 9.8%

• Votes: 5 4.5%

• Votes: 7 6.3%

• Votes: 3 2.7%

• Votes: 2 1.8%

• Votes: 2 1.8%

• Votes: 23 20.5%

• Total voters
Like Syn said, the depth of field's purpose is to isolate one thing (like the head of a chameleon) in order to notice it's details, rather than seeing the whole background which is too often a useless distractor.

My problem is to have only a small balkony on my flat. That´s the reason why the background is often not very attractiv and the blurry effect is very welcome to me.

Otherweise i think it is easyer to tell e story with the picture if you use that effect and the picture will be more exciting.
But evrybody has his own sight of image viewing.

Indeed! In my opinion, at least 90% of the chameleon pictures have to be realized with a small depth of field (more blurry in the background). However, in portrait or other kind of photography, that effect has to be avoided in maybe half the time!

Kinyongia sweeping the polls! Nice work Peter. Good job Todnedo even though you can never resist adding a sarcastic comment.

Congrats to Steven and George for their pics of very beautiful animals! :)

I think the last year or last months has shown that not only Panthers and Jemen are on the first rankings. :D

Thanks Peter I wasn't knocking your photo I just think that the subject should always be in focus. If the cham and limb(the subject) were in focus it would have been an outstanding photo. Thats why I voted for George.

Here is another thread for you Todnedo:

http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/other/Importance-Of-Eyes-In-Portrait-Photography.html

In this website, it clearly states that "it is important to ensure the eyes are in focus." A great example is the first picture, called "Samantha". In this picture, you can easily notice that her eyes are in focus, while her right shoulder is blurry. This is what i call "depth of field", and that clearly doesn't make the picture horrible, not at all. In fact, what the photographer wanted is to isolate the little girl's head, just like Peter wanted people to keep looking at the head of his chameleon and not at the rest of the picture! :)

I hope this helps you understand a little more about photography! :)

I understand what depth of field is. I prefer to keep the subject in sharp focus especially objects in the foreground. Thanks for the tip, keep trying you'll make top three again :)

Cool down boys - thats not really a base for a dispute. ;)

If i look on my pictures which get in the rankings they are all a little bit more ore less blurry. I´m a fan of interesting and storytelling pictures - and in the most cases i like more the pics where are not all parts of the animal are complete sharp or in focus.
Thats benefit my handicap with the small balcony and the not so nice background. :D

There are only a few pictures i like where the animal is nearly complete sharp - a very good example is Luie from JannB.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=8033&original=1

Unfortunately the most pictures with complete sharp animals are in my eyes more a dokumentary style than real interesting pictures.

i think the winning shots were great my only commplaint is that mine didnt make the top three lol

Thanks Peter I wasn't knocking your photo I just think that the subject should always be in focus. If the cham and limb(the subject) were in focus it would have been an outstanding photo. Thats why I voted for George.

I don't get it. Earlier this month you were asking for more storage for your photos (which are great I might add). Now, you got a second place in the photo contest you are taking all your photos and leaving the site? You were actually knocking Peter's photo because you thought yours was better. It looks like it was a tie to me in the voting and I debated between the two myself and I see nothing wrong with either photo. Yours had better focus of the whole subject and his had better lighting. Both had the focus intended by the shooter. If you voted for George you only have yourself to blame because with that one vote you would have won. Also this is your fifth medial in the photo contests, I would say congrats and great job are in order.

i think the winning shots were great my only commplaint is that mine didnt make the top three lol

i was suprised yours didnt make top 3. I thought you were going to win. EVERYONE had beautiful pictures! we should all be happy to see all these well taken care of happy animals. congratz everyone for your good work!:)

Back
Top Bottom