• Votes: 1 0.8%

• Votes: 2 1.7%

• Votes: 7 5.9%

• Votes: 12 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Come on ! Why do you take it personally ? Do you have a picture in the contest ? In my opinion the average quality of the pics was higher sometimes in the past. There are again several pics where I think : "what the hell is special with them ? No special moments, not a special species, not a really good one from the quality of the picture itself"

I was being serious, SIR. To me, if you compare this month's pictures with the previous months, i found the competition much better.

Now, i can't compare the last year's quality with the previous years, as i was just not a member of this forum back then! ;)

You also have to understand that for a chameleon forum, some members are VERY good in photography. If you compare the average skill of chameleon breeders with the average skill of profesionnal photographers, there will obviously be a very huge gap.

Of course some of the pictures are not very special, not a rare species, or with moderate picture quality, but as i said, we are mostly chameleon breeders, not photographs! And you can't beat with the high popularity of calyptratus and pardalis... It may be sad, but it's the hard truth.

Just throwing in my 2 cents! You are free to agree or not with what i said! :) However, the quality of pictures in this contest is one of the less important thing in my life, and i prefer to focus on other things! ;)

Come on ! Why do you take it personally ? Do you have a picture in the contest ? In my opinion the average quality of the pics was higher sometimes in the past. There are again several pics where I think : "what the hell is special with them ? No special moments, not a special species, not a really good one from the quality of the picture itself"

I do have a picture in the contest, it isn't of a common species kept by the masses and I think it is half way descent.

I agree with Morpheon about the caliber of photographers here. There are some good photographers on this forum. Some choose to participate, and others don't. I know some don't because they don't agree with the copyright rules in the contest and don't wish to forfeit them... others just wanna let the other people have a shot at winning. This is an amateur contest, not a photography forum contest. It is a forum of chameleon keepers, with a contest to spice things up a bit and to encourage participation in the forum.

Like I said before, where is your photo? If you have such good photographs, why not enter and win? Maybe we could learn from your great photography skills and better ourselves. :cool: :rolleyes:

I do have a picture in the contest, it isn't of a common species kept by the masses and I think it is half way descent.

I agree with Morpheon about the caliber of photographers here. There are some good photographers on this forum. Some choose to participate, and others don't. I know some don't because they don't agree with the copyright rules in the contest and don't wish to forfeit them... others just wanna let the other people have a shot at winning. This is an amateur contest, not a photography forum contest. It is a forum of chameleon keepers, with a contest to spice things up a bit and to encourage participation in the forum.

Like I said before, where is your photo? If you have such good photographs, why not enter and win? Maybe we could learn from your great photography skills and better ourselves. :cool: :rolleyes:

I know where I have my skills and I know whre I don't have much. You can see my pics on my flickr side: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40942772@N08/ Some of them are great but the majority isn't something special, and there are some which I can't be proud of ;)
So again, don't take it personal. I know how difficult it is to make a good picture of some species. But in some cases here or in the last months, they pics aren't even sharp / well focused.
Why I don't join anymore ? I have learnd that an average picture of a pardalis or a calyptratus gets normally more votes than a better one from an uncommon species. So I don't have any motivation to upload pics when I know that my chances go near 0.
Additionally some persons here don't vote for the picture itself, they vote for the person who has uploaded it

Why I don't join anymore ? I have learnd that an average picture of a pardalis or a calyptratus gets normally more votes than a better one from an uncommon species. So I don't have any motivation to upload pics when I know that my chances go near 0.
Additionally some persons here don't vote for the picture itself, they vote for the person who has uploaded it

I have to disagree with this. I think if you have an uncommon species it gives you an advantage (a fair advantage though). If you take two pictures of equal quality with the difference being one is a more rare species, I think the more rare species will get more votes.

On your second point, however, I do agree. This is no reason to not participate though, if you can get a good photo.

I have to disagree with this. I think if you have an uncommon species it gives you an advantage (a fair advantage though). If you take two pictures of equal quality with the difference being one is a more rare species, I think the more rare species will get more votes.

On your second point, however, I do agree. This is no reason to not participate though, if you can get a good photo.

Sorry, I tried it. But after I have seen that people are more interested in pictures of inzest piebald calyptratus then in oweni I stopped it. Just too much work for no result

Actually, i believe both of you Eisentrauti and Rad are right about the picture contests. My perception of the voting phenomenon is most people vote for common species like Pardalis and Calyptratus. However, the votes from the 3 selected special members will usually vote for more rarer species when there is a tie.

On the other hand Eisentrauti, you are free to participate or not, as you are free to believe the pictures are of poor quality. The bottom line is you won't win if you don't give the contest a try anymore, that's for sure. Also there is a calendar picture contest where you might have more chances to win with rarer species, as specified in the calendar contest rule. But it's up to you and i'll respect your choice! :)

Well, you're right, but to be honest, I know when I'm welcome or not. When I read posts like Kevins or Texas Panther Mans' I know that I couldn't even win with a great perarmata picture ;)
Just because I'm writing that the quality isn't even good or that parts of the forum haven't even read a chameleon book create a nice No.1 target for some here. At least I can live with it, only dead fish swim with the stream ;)

Voting for the September photo contest has been extended. The new deadline is Sunday October 3.

Well, you're right, but to be honest, I know when I'm welcome or not. When I read posts like Kevins or Texas Panther Mans' I know that I couldn't even win with a great perarmata picture ;)
Just because I'm writing that the quality isn't even good or that parts of the forum haven't even read a chameleon book create a nice No.1 target for some here. At least I can live with it, only dead fish swim with the stream ;)

Just vote for my baby T. quadricornis. It isn't a F. pardalis or other common chameleons, so you should have joy in voting for my boy. ;)

The Results

The Results​

1st place: ponders
Species: Furcifer pardalis
Common: Panther Chameleon
Sex: male

2nd place: bridgofaith

3rd place: Dez

If you are not familiar with how the contest works, please review the [THREAD=102]contest rules[/THREAD].

open member vote
The top ranked photos from the open member voting received the following points:
photo 01 => 5 pts (bridgofaith)
photo 04 => 3 pts (ponders)
photo 07 => 1 pts (tkilgour)

judge rankings
We had three judges this month: Brad, reptimom, and kShook.
The judges, in no specific order, gave the following rankings:

judge1:
photo 03 => 2 pts (theveiledchameleon)
photo 09 => 1 pts (Miss Lily)

judge2:
photo 10 => 3 pts (Dez)
photo 08 => 2 pts (wendyeeeo)
photo 04 => 1 pts (ponders)

judge3:
photo 11 => 2 pts (Yessabub)
photo 03 => 1 pts (theveiledchameleon)

point totals
photo 04 - ponders: 10 pts
photo 01 - bridgofaith: 5 pts
photo 10 - Dez: 3 pts
photo 03 - theveiledchameleon: 3 pts
photo 08 - wendyeeeo: 2 pts
photo 11 - Yessabub: 2pts
photo 07 - tkilgour: 1pt
photo 09 - Miss Lily: 1pt

Another great contest! According to the rules, the 3rd place tie was broken by the public votes. There is always room for improvement, so if anyone has a suggestion please create a new thread in the photo contest or feedback forums. If you prefer to remain anonymous you can send me an email or private message.

Medals have been awarded.
Congratulations to the winners :) :D

Hi All, Am newbie member just registered.

May be a silly question, but am i still able to see the pictures, as only shows the one when cllick the link in 1st post??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Congrats to the pardalis winners ! :) (I should drop out of university and cross to the tv fortune teller shows !)
Another thing: I wasnt a genius in maths, but here we have two persons with three points and one person gets the medal. Isnt three = three ?

Back
Top Bottom