Separation of Baby Discoids

dlegare

Established Member
Dose anyone out there have any suggestions on how to separate baby discoids from a large colony. I have 2 producing colonies of Discoid roaches but separating the 1/4 inch young ones is a bit of a pain.

Any suggestions?

Also I feed my colony Cricket Crack, Bananas, apples, dry kitten food, Papaya, Zoopreem Softbill pellets. Any other suggestions? I was told not to give them greens. Anyone know if that is true? I don't want to risk killing the colony trying things out.

Thanks

How about some sort of container that will only allow a certain size of roach to pass through? I've got some dubia going and I've been working on a similar solution.

My dubia eat everything. I don't know why discoids wouldn't be able to eat greens. I know some greens wouldn't be the best to use as gut load because of high potassium levels, but I don't think there is much that would be harmful to the roach itself. You could try asking Aaron Pauling (google for email) I buy my roaches from him. He is very helpful.

Jake

Get two buckets. Drill 1/4" holes in the bottom of one. Put the one with the holes into the other bucket so they are stacked. Put colony in the bucket with holes for a day or two. Then you have babies in the bottom bucket!!

Get two buckets. Drill 1/4" holes in the bottom of one. Put the one with the holes into the other bucket so they are stacked. Put colony in the bucket with holes for a day or two. Then you have babies in the bottom bucket!!

Wow, that's an excellent suggestion! I would go with that.

I wish I was clever enough to have thought of it. :) someone else did and they actually turned the buckets into full time enclosures with screen and stuff.

Excellent tip. Thank you so much for posting this question and thanks to pssh for a time saving tip. Ive been putting off sorting my roach bin into sizes and this will save me an afternoon of roach sorting.

Back
Top Bottom