Senegal Chameleons

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
I posted a quick couple of words about this in another thread of mine, but decided to dedicate a thread to it. I would love to hear any comments ideas or suggestions in regard to my decision to (as Lynda called it) "branch out".
I have decided to start working with Senegals.
It's really the fault of Trace and Kent. Kent is in possession of a LTC female of Trace's ... who, they decided, should come live with me.:)
This (of course) launched me into a researching frenzy, during which I decided it would be a really good idea to try and breed this species and document the adventure. (raising ??? the senegal .com ???)
Don't worry ... Kitty and Agnes are still go for their project this year, and observation, documentation, and reports on that will be forthcoming.
Meanwhile ... I will be in search of a male Senegal (fresh wild caught, captive hatched ... ????) so if anyone comes across an opportunity, or hears anything ... please let me know.
I am posting this in the general forum because I think it may start some conversation concerning the species and would then not belong in The Lizard Lounge ... if that does not prove to be the case the thread will be moved.
blah ... blah ... blah ... 2008 may prove to be an interesting year;)

-Brad

It's really the fault of Trace and Kent.

:confused: I might just have to include a second species when I ship her now....

Once I've been home long enough to unwind I'll go through the library and see what I can compile for the thread. Guess I'll just post it here?

Brad,

We're within a day or so of releasing a new E-Zine issue. Included in it is an article on keeping senegals so keep an eye out for it.

Chris

i have

I have breed a couple of times this chameleon(senegal Chameleons) its not that hard but make sure the humidity is around 60%. and the babys are very very fragile and require temperatures of about 80's degrees trust me they are hard to keep I have done it.

None of my 4 cluches have survived past three months except one.

Can the upcoming E-zine article let me off the hook for now? I really should be studying for school tonight.

Umm, finishing up a shed....Otherwise, same ol' same ol'. Been getting a lot of sun lately! I'm gonna post an oldish pic of her for everyone, yes she had tail rot when imported that healed and left what you see. Sorry for the old pic Brad. Your next challenge will be trying to get a picture of her before she's hiding behind whatever she's on before you click the button. She's frustratingly good at that.
femalesenegal.jpg

Leoman: That's really crappy odds, particularly for an egg laying species. Unless those clutches were infertile, you shouldn't have such a low success rate. Senegals aren't impossible. I'd review your husbandry and perhaps research a bit more about the Chameleo senegalensis. Without sounding rude, there is a lot of misinformation about Senegal care on your site.

I hope you enjoy her Brad and I wish you success in finding a male or moreso being able to breed them. I'm very particular about who gets my babies and/or adults and I know she's got a good home with you. I've said this before, the Senegals are truly an underrated species and once acclimated make a wonderful animal to work with and keep. I've not found them to be fussy eaters in captivity and they readily accept most soft bodied and crunchy bugs. I've noticed that extremely new imports sometimes don't recognize our captive feeder insects and may not eat them right away. Providing them with green bugs (i.e: katydids, grasshoppers etc) or dusting crickets in spirulina helped greatly. No chameleon will pass up a house fly either, so those can be used initially.

Once I get over my obsession with the bitaeniatus complex and some of other various live bearing chameleons, I'll work seriously with the Senegals, the Flapnecks and maybe the Gracefuls. I think that will be a neat triumvirate to compare and contrast.

I'm sure someone said pics! :p

Mrs. Senegatus at 1 year:

DSCF0148-1130.jpg

Showing receptive colouration: I wish this pic had turned out better as the bright yellow background and orange spots are a little washed out.

DSCF0118-1110.jpg

Chameleons in the mist:

DSC_0105.jpg

Have fun with my gal.
Cheers,
t

Justin Carl said..."I heard they could live for 5 years+ in captivity.....
Is this true?"...I can vouch for it. I have kept WC's for that long more than once.

I have decided to start working with Senegals.
*Faints*...

Haha, just yanking your chain. I didn't think the day would come so soon. What does Frank think of this? I have limited experience with many species in the grand scheme of chameleon things, but I find that branching out, and doing personal study of other species improves your overall keeping skills and translates into better care and development of your practices with all your other species as well.

That sounds great Brad. I saw like 20 in one small glass enclosure at Todays Pet Store yuck crappy mall pet store. I wanted to take one but honestly they all didnt look very healthy. Poop all over there enclosure just a bad situation. Although Trace mentioned Gracefuls. I saw 2 really big healthy looking beautiful black spotted WC ones at the local store but I just got my panther so I wanted to be sure to have everything right. Anyway enough babble. Great luck with your goals.

Back
Top Bottom