Selling feeder insects?

Hey Savage... is that a cicada? I wish I could breed those if it is o_O I don't know of any way to... though I have no issue putting some research into it. I tend to come up with some weird ideas. That work.

Just please don't breed the 17 year cicadas - I don't want to order those and have them on back order for 17 years!!!!!!!:D:ROFLMAO::D:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though - I'm very excited to see what you offer in the future!!!

I would like to buy Katydids somewhere. I catch a few each summer. I don't know how hard they would be to breed. My Chams go nuts for them. Bright green, flying & of decent size , a good feeder for medium and larger Chams.
Dave

Butter worms I would have to buy in bulk and sell off. They aren't possible to be bred considering how they are treated to stop them from pupating before being shipped into the US.

I want to breed katydids. From what I understand they are actually easier than grasshoppers. Though I can't find them anywhere near me locally and of course getting them shipped would require the permits. So they would likely be a later species.

From what I understand with breeding cicadas no one has tried it? Not sure on that. But it's technically possible XD. Just hard. I think there are the 17year ones... And then like 5 year ones? Not sure the difference o_O

Mantids would likely be a like every other month thing. Depending on what kind of system I get down for them. As for leaf insects I would love to have them again but definitely need the room for another screen cage (which will mean probably after we move) because I will not house them with sticks.

Butterflies will likely never happen, it's not due to the fact I don't love them etc. It's due to the fact I have a fiance who has a phobia of moths and butterflies XD the fact that he allows me my silkworms is very big of him and I appreciate it.

Most of my staple colony feeders, like the roaches, superworms, isopods, silkworms, bsfl (when I get them established and set up), and what ever other species I can get breeding for me all year round, I want to be able to offer at a reduced rate especially when I have an explosion. (that would be my ultimate goal) I think the seasonal species like stick insects, leaf insects, grass hoppers, katydids (I think), god knows what else when I eventually get some under my belt, those guys would probably be a bit more expensive than my staple colonies, though probably still less when everyone gets established.

I am wondering how many people would be interested if I raised wax worms? (since I can't raise butterworms at all)

I am not yet sure what I can raise out of the species listed that people are interested in. Will have to look at possible space and talk to mom about possible space we have at the current moment. So we shall see ^^ Very happy with the amount of interest being shown from everyone. I would love for my feeders to be well taken care of even if they are eventually fed off... I may feed them off, but I want the best life they can have possible before doing so <3

Two pages and no one mentions CRICKETS? Is the an "Elite" Cham offering. The "Filet Mignon" to the "McBurger" ????

I'm always looking for a better deal on a quality staple feeder.

You want crickets @broderp? I may have some issues convincing mother to allow that... *frowns* Give me some time to work on her, and figure out my preferred set up for them. I know exactly what I want to do for them, but then I have to figure out how to get it and of course the species I want. (will be researching the best species)

I will also be shipping to Alaska, because I think I can do that without having any permits in the beginning (though I will research this in the beginning) I want to be able to ship to Hawaii too, because I know for them getting certain feeders is a pain in the butt... but once again that requires research and I am pretty sure that will require permits and even then I may not be able to ship to Hawaii certain really wanted species because Hawaii is so... firm about their laws >.<

Thought I'd share some pictures of my stick insects today, you have to look close for the babies, they are all over the screen and plant but they are almost invisible XD

stick insects 1.jpg stick insects 2.jpg stick insects 3.jpg

So I will put up some test prices for regular costs (this is not when I have an overabundance of certain feeder insects mentioned then it will be on sale)

50 Mixed Dubia nymphs (I can also focus on certain size ranges you want) - $18.00

100 mixed Dubia nymphs- $25.00

Breeder Colony (when available)-
25 female/10 male ratio- $35.00

50 female/25 male ratio- $55.00

(breeder colonies include when asked for, personalized caresheets, 1/2 a pound of my personal gutload (free which I make myself, and a random amount of cleaner crew that I personally use (it will be enough to start your own colony))

Superworms

100- $7.00
300- $9.00

(Superworms come with enough gutload in their larger deli cups, I ship them in larger and deeper deli cups than you can buy in the store) to keep them going easily. I also send an extra 1/4 of a pound automatically of my personal gutload (unless you ask for me not to) to use with them that you should bulk up with regular bedding. I have no issue with molding with either of these feeds. Though I do recommend switching them to a different container with good ventilation, not only for mite control but also for the worms health. A ten gallon tank works fine. I can send caresheets with my worms and also breeding sheets if really interested. Once I start getting more superworms consistently the price will likely go down)

I haven't looked at the other species I will be raising (due to how they will breed for me because I don't have them yet) and my GBR's aren't even on the table yet because my colony is not yet stable.

Silkworms are iffy... I know I will be sending out smaller test batches to those who are interested, who have issues (or more issues) keeping them alive. I would like to see if everyone else has success with the line bred ones I have created. I know if it works out they may be slightly more expensive but everyone should have either no die off, or significantly less. I usually only have 10 worms die out of 100 or so, and only when super small.

They will likely hover around

50 for like 20-25? Not sure yet. It depends on what the people I talk to about have thoughts on and what success they have.

(I will include chow likely for the silkworms (smaller amount) for anyone who needs it. Since I usually can buy it in bulk)

Giant Canyon Isopods when available will sell for this amount-

25 mixed sizes- $18.00
40 mixed sizes- $30.00

Breeder Colonies (when available)-

Breeding size Isopods-

50 Isopods- $45.00

Stick insects-

50 nymphs- $15.00

Shipping- I will do no less than 3 day priority USPS on all my insects so the shipping would be around 13-15 dollars usually.

These current prices do not mean any of my insects are for sale yet. All of my personal gutload can be fed to grain eaters of any type. My personal gutload will be able to be ordered soon if people want it too. If these were all for sale and decided upon prices I of course would have put this in the... o_O what is it... classifieds section. XD Not yet, do you guys think these are fair prices?

Remember I will be offering the BSFL soon as I have the money to get the set up, and also two other species of roaches, as soon as possible. Then it depends on what else I can get when I have space etc. So much love to ya'll <3

Giant canyons are like any other isopod, except the size of a... I'd say medium cricket when they reach breeding size (though they start breeding several almost a year before reaching full size. They can't be crowded if you want a good rate of breeding and good size ratio. So I keep them in a very deep soil enclosure that is around 25 quarts I think? Otherwise I just feed them veggie scraps (they prefer root vegetables) and dried oak leaves. The giant canyons seem to do well with a low level heat pad on their side as long as you don't have extremely high heat waves going on. And they need to have the soil regularly misted (once a day will do). I can give you a more detailed explanation of care if you want.

As far as feeder nutrition, they are easily gutloadable and yet not as good as dubias in that respect, but have a higher calcium ratio naturally compared to other insects, because their "shell" is mostly made of calcium. So I don't dust them at all. Both my chameleons love them (well Ryker did when he could see), you have to cup feed them, they are relatively fast in the beginning and so attract attention quickly.

They don't sound bad, haven't seen much on them. I'd like to get some of those going in the future. If you feel like giving me some detailed info on them i'd most definitely appreciate it! No rush though. Would they do fine in temps of 80-90?

Yeah, if you regularly have temps like that you don't need to put a heat pad on them, I don't adjust their heat pad to mid 80's and usually turn it off if I have a heatwave (though I do have them on a thermostat so it doesn't go passed the highest temp) I find most insects even on a thermostat that need certain high temps, when you have a heat wave do better when you turn off the heatpad (if you temps are easily going above what is recommended as a regular and then only dropping about 10-15 degrees at night) because they need a cool down during those periods and do best with a break from the heat.I have lost some during heatwaves without turning off my heatpads even though the thermostats are working just fine.

So the silkworms have been changed as far as prices a bit, now these are not the end prices for silkworms or possibly any of the insects because once I get a good colony going for any of these I may bump them lower, depends. As far as the silkworms the current price will not be decided upon until I send out my current line of new hatches to people who have higher death rates (and people who I absolutely trust as far as their opinion as well) and see how they do with them. I have no desire to say these guys have a high immune system and then have them not do well. So they will not likely be available to the general populace for a very long time. I am currently waiting for a large amount of my silks to hatch well.

If anyone who has a high death rate/loss rate with silks is paying attention and can either respond to the thread if they have interest in them or message me I would appreciate it ^^ then we could possibly work out something 8D, the first group I send out (the test group) will be severely lower cost.

Ok I will have around 700 silkworms to sell in the next couple weeks (if I am correct with timing, could be three weeks), I have already subtracted the small amount I will be keeping and a small amount of possible dud eggs (though almost all the ones I have are fertilized). I have also removed 150 for people who have already emailed me showing interest in my silkworms just in case they still want them. That means I need several orders to sell off these guys. These are my hybrids, that have shown to have a higher immune system with myself, I am hoping they will with you because I have worked my butt off to get them this way. Check out my prices on my thread posted above. I will be doing a slightly lowered price by 2 dollars for all orders of 25+. Since I am trying to test these guys immune systems. I would like to have at least 8 people to test these guys with as far as raising, if not more. (I know these are listed as still not available and it's because they will not be sent right away) this is technically a waiting list. If I sell the entire amount on the waiting list, don't worry I already have some of my hybrids cocooning and getting ready to breed, and will be raising another at least 75 from this batch to breed. So it's just getting it going.

I am trying to sell them off as soon as they are of a good size at the moment because I want to know how much interest will be in them. At the moment they are being raised on leaves, but don't worry I will be switching them over to chow.

Back
Top Bottom