Selling eggs

salty dog

Chameleon Enthusiast
How does a chameleon hatched and stay in the same home it’s whole life worse than shipping an adult or juvenile??? That is a traumatizing experience!! Please enlighten me

View attachment 338544bad egg?
It's been 10 isg months since layed(I'd have to double check pkg). But it was looking great, started to sweat and went to check on it today after 5 days of only looking through container(No touching) and I see total shrinkage, and fuzzy mold, top also looks gelatinous, didn't touch it but it looks thick. I'm going to keep waiting it out but idk, it's not looking good.
Check this thread out aswell

I’ll post a sequence of hatching an egg and keeping it, to prove that it is not a bad thing to do

How does a chameleon hatched and stay in the same home it’s whole life worse than shipping an adult or juvenile??? That is a traumatizing experience!! Please enlighten me
How does somebody sell an egg guaranteeing its hatch and gender and quality nutrition. to someone who is inexperienced in the first place . At least juvenile has a chance. even experience breeders have issues with juveniles .. sounds like someone’s cutting a corner and making a quick buck . I think it does nothing but hurt the community. And puts a bad light on raising them.

raising a baby is easy, besides there is no 100% guarntee of definite sex of an egg, he doesn’t advertise that

I’ll post a sequence of hatching an egg and keeping it, to prove that it is not a bad thing to do
That’s not the problem you’ve had experience put yourself in the mind you had getting your first chameleon. Now imagine dealing with incubation which can be stressful for the first time as it’s something new. Now that your in the clear of a chameleon egg hatching then you have to deal with caring for a animal that people already struggle to care for as a well started juvenile except now their dealing with a hatchling whose even more Delicate and fragile then the well started juvenile. which first timers like I said struggle with so it doesn’t make sense to make their experience completely un enjoyable by dealing with a hatchling.As most people would not know the care for a hatchling chameleon or be able to provide adequate care that hatchling would probably die making someone whose excited to have a new pet and have a enjoyable experience never want to do it again because they just worked for a year to have this animal and then in it dies

It was easy for me, I gave them bean beetles and fruit flys used a 2 foot linear fixture on top of a 16 x 16 x 20 one plant one uv bulb, put some branches with a plant and sprayed water every other day in my bedroom, thats all it takes

It was easy for me, I gave them bean beetles and fruit flys used a 2 foot linear fixture on top of a 16 x 16 x 20 one plant one uv bulb, put some branches with a plant and sprayed water every other day in my bedroom, thats all it takes
Yet again for YOU ,while having experience 🤦‍♀️ we are talking about general public people who have had zero chameleon experience

With instruction it’s easy, most people aren’t stupid
Salty, you are a mature adult and obviously know what you’re doing. How many of the people who are buying the eggs are children or young adults whose brains haven’t yet fully developed and grown some common sense? We see it here often enough that people have bought an egg and really have little idea of what is going on with the egg.
Then even if the buyer/hatcher has done their homework and knows precisely what they are doing, what are the chances that the baby could have an issue and die? Isn’t that one of the reasons that responsible breeders will wait at least 3 months before sending their babies off to new homes? All of this can result in some person ending up with a horribly sad experience or a baby chameleon ending up dead from bad care. None of that is cool.
Something that hasn’t been mentioned and something I wonder about is the females producing all of these eggs. Are they just being bred without pause? What is the average life expectancy of these poor girls? What about the quality of the babies they are producing? Doesn’t this pretty much reduce it to being akin to the chameleon equivalent of a puppy mill?
I understand the appeal of hatching your chameleon from and egg and raising it up. I just don’t agree that it’s something that should be done like this.

How many of these eggs die because there is an impatient child or adult opening the lid to check? I feel like it is an easy way for someone to make money. You have a relationship with the person so your going to be partial. But for those of us that see the threads and attempt to help in them. This is not easy for the person buying the egg. A ton of waiting and then a dead egg because it molds over. These people do not have the experience to know what to do or how to do it. And my understanding is that when they try to contact the business they bought the egg from they get very little help if any.

Then for those that do manage to hatch out one they have to attempt to care for a tiny hatchling... Again with very little guidance or help.

My eggs are no different than any other panther eggs, and I hatch them and raise them, same as anybody else can, and that is not inhumane, an egg has no recollection of life before hatching, with guidance anybody can do it

How many of these eggs die because there is an impatient child or adult opening the lid to check? I feel like it is an easy way for someone to make money. You have a relationship with the person so your going to be partial. But for those of us that see the threads and attempt to help in them. This is not easy for the person buying the egg. A ton of waiting and then a dead egg because it molds over. These people do not have the experience to know what to do or how to do it. And my understanding is that when they try to contact the business they bought the egg from they get very little help if any.

Then for those that do manage to hatch out one they have to attempt to care for a tiny hatchling... Again with very little guidance or help.
Exactly, he has a well deserved bad reputation for those in the know but it's the unsuspecting newer ones in the hobby are the victims of him and his so called "guarantees"

with guidance
And this is exactly what is missing with the company that sells them.. You said it "with guidance anybody can do it" Well there is no guidance.
Where are the videos showing them what to expect? Video showing what a normal healthy egg looks like over the months you will have it? Video showing what it looks like when it is about to hatch? You can have 8 million blogs trying to explain something and nothing can make up for a video showing the process.

I stay extremely busy remodeling houses, and maintaing my own chameleons, I don’t have time to spend hours of my day explaining or helping people with their speccific difficulties, eric was or is doing that, he is currently having extreme health problems going through multiple surgeries so that he can use his legs, he’s been in the hospital over a week, I understand about people having difficulties, I think it’s easy, I get it, but not everybody does, people get impatient, and move their eggs around and candle it etc. that disloges and kills the embryo, some of my eggs have hatched at 1.5 years of incubation, and those hatched huge and have been my most successful clutches, a chameleon is a natural animal, there is no 100% prediction of color specific pattern or gender from a gene pool of the parents unless inbred, even then the egg might hatch out male-female there is no way to know or alter an egg to hatch a specific sex, I’ve tried every variation in the book, I guess the luck of the 4 leaf clover would be the only real expectation

Back
Top Bottom