self depreciating phrases commonly used on forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojackson

One of the most self depreciating phrases commonly used on forums!

"Maybe someone with more experience will chime in though."

Why do you write this drivel? Do you doubt the validity of your own information?
If you have little confidence in what you are saying, you can't seriously expect anyone else to!
Here's a helpful tip for you, Gain more experience yourself. If you dont know, endeavour to find out, if only to expand your own horizons, how else will you ever learn anything in life.
When will YOU become "someone with more experience" ?
Seize the day! ;)

I just hate reading that phrase (and some others), IT"S A COPOUT! :rolleyes:

You know I really do think alot of this forum, the sheer passion of its members for the advancement of chameleon keeping is astounding and stands out above the rest, and as such has enormous potential to rise well above the rest.
Unfortunately there seems to be a pervasive apathy regards forums in general.
An unspoken belief that no online forum can improve or advance its quality, just because
"its just the internet", or people will be people (or sheeple), one I dont share.

I believe that forums quality reflects its members, that it's members can make an effort
and lead by example as a whole. I try to encourage that here, with little success so far.
folk exclaim "great post jo", and then ignore it. :D
What is this but collective Apathy born of frustration and belief that an individual cant make a difference, so nobody tries!

Last edited:
It seems like most of it comes from people who only read posts from people who actually know what they are talking about.

Hell, I don’t know… Maybe someone with more experience will chime in though?

I've done it. Usually when someone is in a panic and no one has responded I will say, "Answer the How to Ask for Help questions so the more experienced keepers can help you out". I didn't think I was annoying anyone by doing that, but maybe some of the people I've annoyed will chime in.:D

I've done it. Usually when someone is in a panic and no one has responded I will say, "Answer the How to Ask for Help questions so the more experienced keepers can help you out". I didn't think I was annoying anyone by doing that, but maybe some of the people I've annoyed will chime in.:D

If i dont know what im talking about i just wont post. But i dont know maybe a more experienced poster will chime in....:D

I say it when I'm not very experienced in the issue at hand. I'll offer advice, but I don't want it to be mistaken for a thorough understanding if I can't offer them expert advice because it's not something I'm very familiar with. So saying that is like my disclaimer so people know I'm not an expert on it. I know there are plenty of people who are much more experienced at many aspects of husbandry and health (it's true, not just a low self esteem issue :) ) than I am so I'd rather they offer their expertise.

I like this thread, but maybe someone with more rep and therefore more experience will chime in about how this thread is cute and will give green blocks for it.

I like this thread, but maybe someone with more rep and therefore more experience will chime in about how this thread is cute and will give green blocks for it.

I want green blocks,:D This is a cute thread

Are you just trying to show your feather.:rolleyes:

But I literally don't know, I am new and looking for advice. However, I am an expert when it comes to most aspects of equines, so if you have a question, bring it on and I will show you my bad self :)!

I say it when I'm not very experienced in the issue at hand. I'll offer advice, but I don't want it to be mistaken for a thorough understanding if I can't offer them expert advice because it's not something I'm very familiar with. So saying that is like my disclaimer so people know I'm not an expert on it. I know there are plenty of people who are much more experienced at many aspects of husbandry and health (it's true, not just a low self esteem issue :) ) than I am so I'd rather they offer their expertise.

Exactly. Sometimes it seems like a thread is falling off the page without a response and needs a "bump".

Also, while I'm happy to provide suggestions, I know for a fact that I am not an expert and I do want to distinguish myself from the "non-experts" who pretend to be all knowledgeable and give out bad or even dangerous information.

I try to give the best advice I can if there seems to be a need for someone to offer advice but I'm always hoping that someone with true experience (like you, Jo) will step into the thread and provide good information.

Would you prefer that everyone present their "ideas" as "absolutely the best idea out there! Do it my way! I'm a WINNER!!!!" or that they say "here's what I've read is the best, but hopefully someone who's had the experience will chime in"?

I suppose all of us who read along and have a good idea about care for animals we don't ourselves own could simply let the pleas for help fall off the front page into oblivion...I'm not entirely sure who would be helped by that.

Let's see...on the one hand I have "possibly helping a chameleon and its upset owner" on the other hand I have "annoying Jo no end"....

I don't know...it sort of seems like a win, win situation to just do it, doesn't it?

12804d1284005372-do-you-prefer-pepsi-coke-mad-man-pulling-hair-out.jpg
:D :D :D

I love you people! Thanks for a laugh! :)

I don't know...it sort of seems like a win, win situation to just do it, doesn't it?

"I dunno, but maybe someone with more experience.........." (Im nearly bald now guys!) :)

Someone gave me a red block, darn it! EDIT: And removed 100 reputation points of mine! Oh no! And the post!

Last edited:
I think I say because I don't want to give misinformation. I probably think that I'm not the best? I don't know lol. Ask me a question about turtles! and I will know what I am talking about ;):rolleyes:

I do have confidence in what I say but I just think that sometimes there are more experience keepers that have went through problems that they original poster has. So I tend to say Hopefully someone else with more experience or someone else can chime in lol. From now on. I will quit saying that! :eek:

Would you prefer that everyone present their "ideas" as "absolutely the best idea out there! Do it my way! I'm a WINNER!!!!" or that they say "here's what I've read is the best, but hopefully someone who's had the experience will chime in"?

A confident response does not equate to your being a 'know-it-all', or considering yourself to be the last word on a given subject, but confidence inspires confidence.
If im confident of my advice, I dont need an exclaimer. There is no 'one right way' to do things, but there certainly is lots of wrong ways! :)
Saying 'here's what I read is best', is saying, 'I have no idea if its valid info, I only read it'.
How does that help me at all, if I dont know either? Afterall, Im the one asking! This is what confuses
new folk, everybody read something different, the op has a computer, they can read a huge variety
of conflicting info online themselves.

Actually no it doesn't, it seems pointless to me!

Why does the OP need to be advised that 'somebody may chime in'? Surely if they are reading the thread they will see that for themselves.

Why does 'someone with more experience' need to be announced or invited to 'chime in'?
If they are going to, they will.

Why do you need to write a disclaimer that you dont consider yourself 'someone with more experience', anyway?
Why not give the reader/OP the benefit of doubt, that they can manage to judge for themselves the value, or lack, of what you are saying?
To me, such disclaimer, says that if you say something blatantly stupid, bad or even dangerous, You want to able to come back and say *whiny voice* "I said I wasn't an expert!". What's the point? It's still stupid, bad or even dangerous, even if you advised it might be!
Your disclaimer doesn't somehow, exonerate such remarks and if you have no idea, why do you need to announce it?
Is that winning? :)

For that matter, why tell the OP, 'I think I read something about it somewhere, but I dunno'?
Why on earth should the OP care, especially when you 'dunno' and you dont provide a source for them to read for themselves?
They dont want to hear what you might've read, unless they can read it themselves and its relevant, they want to hear what you know!

Re posting the questionnaire, nothing wrong with that, unless 3 people have already done so! :D

LOl, Thanks Zac! :)

Last edited:
What about pointing someone to something another has written, which often accompanies statements like "I don't own that kind of chameleon"? Isn't that essentially the same as "I read this"?

I've seen numerous people post incorrect responses in tones which probably would inspire confidence in the person asking the question. Sadly, following that advice could be harmful to their chameleon...but, hey, at least the responder was confident.

Confident is better than accurate, I suppose.

As has been noted numerous times, posts like "I'm not an expert, here's what I read, I hope someone with more experience will chime in" happen most often because a thread has lain dormant and the longer it lies dormant, the less chance there is that it will get that experienced response.

If what you are suggesting is that only those who have experience should be allowed to provide answers to questions, that would seem to be a radical change from the current board set up. Not that I think it would be a bad thing, but it's not how the board is set up.

I fail to see how you can be offended by a humble, hopefully helpful, friendly response to someone with a question. However, my usual advice to people who are offended by things they read on the internet is: don't read them. Three of us, at least, have indicated we are likely to make such responses and why. Put us on ignore. Problem solved.

What about pointing someone to something another has written, which often accompanies statements like "I don't own that kind of chameleon"? Isn't that essentially the same as "I read this"?

Yes absolutely

I've seen numerous people post incorrect responses in tones which probably would inspire confidence in the person asking the question. Sadly, following that advice could be harmful to their chameleon...but, hey, at least the responder was confident.

or sarcastic? I thought you were 52 years of age Ellen?

see above

As has been noted numerous times, posts like "I'm not an expert, here's what I read, I hope someone with more experience will chime in" happen most often because a thread has lain dormant and the longer it lies dormant, the less chance there is that it will get that experienced response.

If the OP wanted more responses they would bump it themselves, no?

If what you are suggesting is that only those who have experience should be allowed to provide answers to questions, that would seem to be a radical change from the current board set up. Not that I think it would be a bad thing, but it's not how the board is set up.

No, not all. Just that if folk took more care with responses, it would be alot more helpful. See Lauries thread, "6 month expert badge"

I fail to see how you can be offended by a humble, hopefully helpful, friendly response to someone with a question. However, my usual advice to people who are offended by things they read on the internet is: don't read them. Three of us, at least, have indicated we are likely to make such responses and why. Put us on ignore. Problem solved.

Who said I was offended? Annoyed yes, offended, no. :)

Last edited:

agreed.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom