Seems thirsty

Stazkilly

Hi all, so we have had our yemen chameleon now for a month, hes 4 months old. Learnt lots of tips and advice from the forums so far, thanks everyone!

I usually mist his cage twice a day, once in the morning before I feed him, and again when I turn his nights off to raise his humidity etc. usually he goes to sleep as soon as the lights go off but tonight he is exploring everywhere and drinking constantly. His stripe on his side was dark brown and the top of his casque and a few brown spots on his body. Usually he is various shades off green with bits of orange.

His droppings have been fine, I check these daily when I clean him out, soft with urates.

Just wondering if this is normal behaviour for them just worried as never seen these colors or behaviour before. Thanks!

Attached pic of him currently licking the misting off the cage 🤣

Attachments

• 20220815_205016.jpg
    20220815_205016.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 58
Hi all, so we have had our yemen chameleon now for a month, hes 4 months old. Learnt lots of tips and advice from the forums so far, thanks everyone!

I usually mist his cage twice a day, once in the morning before I feed him, and again when I turn his nights off to raise his humidity etc. usually he goes to sleep as soon as the lights go off but tonight he is exploring everywhere and drinking constantly. His stripe on his side was dark brown and the top of his casque and a few brown spots on his body. Usually he is various shades off green with bits of orange.

His droppings have been fine, I check these daily when I clean him out, soft with urates.

Just wondering if this is normal behaviour for them just worried as never seen these colors or behaviour before. Thanks!

Attached pic of him currently licking the misting off the cage 🤣
Update: hes now gone asleep and his brown bits are orangey again

So you will want to add a dripper. Baby is thirsty. This can be done pretty easily using a plastic solo cup with tiny pin holes in the bottom of it. Set it on top of the cage over plants. So it drips on the leaves. Add ice cubes and a bit of water to start them melting. This will provide a slower drip rate with the ice.

So you will want to add a dripper. Baby is thirsty. This can be done pretty easily using a plastic solo cup with tiny pin holes in the bottom of it. Set it on top of the cage over plants. So it drips on the leaves. Add ice cubes and a bit of water to start them melting. This will provide a slower drip rate with the ice.
Hi sorry forgot to mention I have a dripper usually put it on around 2 hours before I turn his lights off.

Hi sorry forgot to mention I have a dripper usually put it on around 2 hours before I turn his lights off.
Personally, I'd put it in there right before he wakes up. My cham (though he's a Panther) likes to drink first thing when he wakes up, so I imagine a dripper filling leaves as he's waking up would be a good way to have him with lots of drinking options. Sort of like when I wake up and get a drink of water after sleeping all night (my dogs do it too).

You would want to have this available in the morning and throughout the day if possible. They are normally bedding down 2 hours prior to lights out. So mornings into the afternoon is better for them.

Back
Top Bottom