Seeing my cham on the floor alot lately?

Chameleon Loco

This past winter break I have been seeing my veiled hanging out on the floor more than normal. He does not stay there long and after he is done there he returns to his plant I havre noticed no sigh of illness and he is eating and drinking like normal. Could this be caused by an offness in his day and night cycle as it is winter break and I go to alot of parties and get home late and sleep in, so his lightss get turned on later than when school is in session?

I would say

Buy a multiple outlet digital timer from home depot. Cost maybe 5 dollars and I know the regularity does a whole lot of good for the chameleon.

This past winter break I have been seeing my veiled hanging out on the floor more than normal. He does not stay there long and after he is done there he returns to his plant I havre noticed no sigh of illness and he is eating and drinking like normal. Could this be caused by an offness in his day and night cycle as it is winter break and I go to alot of parties and get home late and sleep in, so his lightss get turned on later than when school is in session?

first off id like to lecture about partying.. lol.. if you are one that sleeps in alot, likes to party or just works stupid hours. then you really need to take the responsibility and make sure your animals DONT need to have to depend on you all the time for the daily requirements they need. please get a timer asap. you are messing up the chameleons day and night cycles, he is not getting proper amounts of daily uvb, he isnt getting propper sleep.

my usambara two-horned chameleon chills on the ground at times but he is healthy as an ox. he hangs out on the floor sometimes on the left side of the cage. this is the closest he can get to the humidifer right by his cage. i would understand why he would be there (higher humidity) but 95% of the time he is in his plant and vines.

i dont mean to offend you, but how consistent is the care for this chameleon? i would right off the bat say hes just exploring, that if it persists and last for longer times worry. i would like to see how your husbandry is for this chameleon. please fill this out so we can see if there are any obvious problems.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Winter Break

our Chameleon - Male Veiled Chamleon 2.5 years old bought at around half a year
Handling -Only when cleaning his cage
Feeding - gutloaded with cricket crack Crickets and gutloaded with oatmeal and apples superworms he is feed 10 crickets or 7 superwoms every other day
Supplements - Zoo med reptil calcium without d3, zoo med calcium with d3 and zoo med repti vite, without d3 3x a week , with 2x a month, repti vite 1x a week
Watering - Hand Mister 3x a day one before school, one when I get home, one before bed
Fecal Description - Solid and white urates
History - No problems

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen 24x24x48
Lighting -Zoo med Basking 75 watt Repti sun 5.0 uvb tube
Temperature - Day temp 80 Basking 90 Night temp High 60's
Humidity - 50% misting
Plants - one schefflera and many plastic vines and
Placement - Cage on a stand in reptile room
Location - Los Angeles California
Current Problem - Goes to the floor more often

I'm not going to lecture you. One time I had a veiled who was hanging at the bottom because he broke two of his legs is a fall. i would inspect all of his limbs to look for any kinks. If you're unsure about a break (they can often look subtle) take him to a vet. Unfortunately, many chams don't recover from multiple broken legs, as mine died despite my and my vet's best efforts.

I would second the call for a timer. That's not an expensive thing and could help your chameleon a lot. However, being an hour or two off every so often isn't going to cause a big problem.

I consider the bottom of the cage part of the animal's realm and I expect him to go visit occasionally.

As long as he's not hanging out there preferentially, I don't think "going to the bottom" is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom