Screen top

Richardslusser111, I agree with you that, "Uvb is most important thing to keep reptiles," and I can appreciate the sticker shock of a Solarmeter (as I went through it myself, but with a difference☝️).

☝️ The difference I referred to is that we investigated on forums like this before getting any of our current reptiles, so we found out/knew ahead of time.

A UVI meter is one such item, but not the only one. Some articles & lists are beginning to include them—the more reptiles one has, the more economic (as well as health) sense they make, but they still make sense with only one. 🤓👨‍🎓

No personal criticism or judgment should be inferred—just explaining how our journey may have differed from others'. Everyone is different.

Thing I wish for is perfect habitat for my 3 panther chameleons. 2 of them are having a rough start. Skinny an won't eat currently. They were eating well. An now have to add a hornworm for interest.

So I tested my fixture on reptibreeze top an got higher reading. This current top that I don't like readings are in attached photo. Can take more reading an photos. This is brand new bulb. But ratings seem low with testing I done. Need opinion if I should be concerned or not. Just don't want my male panther getting MBD because of a screen top. That got me thinking it's blocking uvb rays.

Attachments

• 20210825_212104.jpg
    20210825_212104.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 69
With chameleons veiled/ panther. What would be a good rating inside the enclosure. Not sure if 0.50 is good or want it over 100 for a reading on a solar meter. Readings of course are higher when tested off the mesh. How I know there's a issue with the top. Just not finding anything 16x16 inch to replace it with. Plus safety of the Cham. If Cham gets out would be lunch for my Goldens.

uvb to uvi is around 35-55 depending on the bulb, so i normally use 40-45 as a rule of thumb.. So a 45uvb is around a 1 UVI.

Anything that s 25 and up is considered "useful UVB".

So I tested my fixture on reptibreeze top an got higher reading. This current top that I don't like readings are in attached photo. Can take more reading an photos. This is brand new bulb. But ratings seem low with testing I done. Need opinion if I should be concerned or not. Just don't want my male panther getting MBD because of a screen top. That got me thinking it's blocking uvb rays.
While IDT that's the case, there are different ways of replacing the top.
If window screen parts are a problem, you could build a wooden frame (1/2" x 1/2", 3/4" x 3/4" or whatever works for you) and staple whatever size mesh you would feel comfortable with, from window screen up to 4 mesh.

uvb to uvi is around 35-55 depending on the bulb, so i normally use 40-45 as a rule of thumb.. So a 45uvb is around a 1 UVI.

Anything that s 25 and up is considered "useful UVB".
So that would be a good reading for a basking branch an a chameleon? Just getting higher readings on regular mesh. Noticed my megaray for my iguana. Is getting a 30ish reading at 6 months old. It's similar mesh just alittle bigger holes.

While IDT that's the case, there are different ways of replacing the top.
If window screen parts are a problem, you could build a wooden frame (1/2" x 1/2", 3/4" x 3/4" or whatever works for you) and staple whatever size mesh you would feel comfortable with, from window screen up to 4 mesh.
Actually a good idea an can tie it down with floral wire. Have to remeasure but my first was 15 1/2inches square. Have to take a look at the rolls of mesh at hardware store. I have a staple gun 😅

So that would be a good reading for a basking branch an a chameleon? Just getting higher readings on regular mesh. Noticed my megaray for my iguana. Is getting a 30ish reading at 6 months old. It's similar mesh just alittle bigger holes.

That depends on who you ask and what your d3 supplement is.

I personally go for 1-1.5 uvi, and supplement with sticktongue farms indoor calcium with ultra low dose d3 every feeding. But if you want to go with the new 3.0 recommendation, then you have to adjust your D3 way down. If you have a 3.0 and do the standard d3 twice a month, you end up overdosing.

And how does a metal halide megaray only put out 30???? Is it broke? Those things should be putting out like 150+, they have a uvi of like 5+.

Actually a good idea an can tie it down with floral wire. Have to remeasure but my first was 15 1/2inches square. Have to take a look at the rolls of mesh at hardware store. I have a staple gun 😅
For the small pieces we're talking about, you could probably staple the frame together as well (but test first in the event of splitting near the ends).

Rolls of mesh are HUGE, which is fine if you're planning on building a lot of enclosures (or one really big one 😁 ). If you've got a real hardware store (an asset these days) they may be able to cut you a length rather than buy the whole roll. 🤷‍♂️

Doesn't that depend on distance? :unsure:
Yea, but you buy megarays because you cant get enough with T5HO 12%. I guess you could call them 22% and good for high UVB+basking combo for iggies etc, and have them be 18" away.

http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65&zenid=on75c70u059hp8q2shrmjgd2j4

I have personally ran them in the 90's, and dont really like them...

You notice it says warranty warranty warranty everywhere. Thats because the self balasts kinda suck. You feel "lucky" it lasted a year before you have to "shake start" it every morning...

Last edited:
That depends on who you ask and what your d3 supplement is.

I personally go for 1-1.5 uvi, and supplement with sticktongue farms indoor calcium with ultra low dose d3 every feeding. But if you want to go with the new 3.0 recommendation, then you have to adjust your D3 way down. If you have a 3.0 and do the standard d3 twice a month, you end up overdosing.

And how does a metal halide megaray only put out 30???? Is it broke? Those things should be putting out like 150+, they have a uvi of like 5+.
I use the zoomed calcium with d3 can take a photo of it. But only twice a month as recommended.
I have the megaray100w on top of mesh it is 6 months old. Bulb isn't broke just readings I get. I emailed megaray website an haven't responded yet.

For the small pieces we're talking about, you could probably staple the frame together as well (but test first in the event of splitting near the ends).

Rolls of mesh are HUGE, which is fine if you're planning on building a lot of enclosures (or one really big one 😁 ). If you've got a real hardware store (an asset these days) they may be able to cut you a length rather than buy the whole roll. 🤷‍♂️
I built the frame just need staple mesh. Haven't got the mesh yet all I found was plastic. When I need aluminum.

Attachments

• 20210827_194039.jpg
    20210827_194039.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 63
Yea, but you buy megarays because you cant get enough with T5HO 12%. I guess you could call them 22% and good for high UVB+basking combo for iggies etc, and have them be 18" away.

http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65&zenid=on75c70u059hp8q2shrmjgd2j4

I have personally ran them in the 90's, and dont really like them...

You notice it says warranty warranty warranty everywhere. Thats because the self balasts kinda suck. You feel "lucky" it lasted a year before you have to "shake start" it every morning...
I was recommended to use the megaray for my iguana. But not liking the output of these bulbs. Mostly a beam that goes straight down. For uvb exposure. With the t5 get it all along the enclosure or desired width.

I built the frame just need staple mesh. Haven't got the mesh yet all I found was plastic. When I need aluminum.
Depending on where you're shopping for it.... Big box home improvement stores don't keep all mesh products together. Some is considered (window) screen, and is with the window screen stuff. Larger meshes are considered "hardware cloth" and are (IME) in a different location in the stores.

I don't like plastic, nylon, or fiberglass for this purpose either (Plastic-coated is ok). I'd prefer aluminum too, but depending on mesh, the larger ones may only be available in galvanized unless you've got good local sources or order online.

Back
Top Bottom