Screen tear

Hi,
My enclosure has a tear in it. What could be best way fix it. An would figure it's the top so can't patch it. Any ideas be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210707_125104.jpg
    20210707_125104.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 61
Hi,
My enclosure has a tear in it. What could be best way fix it. An would figure it's the top so can't patch it. Any ideas be appreciated.
Oof! That looks like a big tear. I would use some thread (clear if available) and carefully meet the edges together. Then to cover any sharp ends I’d run a thin strip of hot glue along the seam line. Another option is making a faux background with egg crate light diffuser panel and Great Stuff expanding foam to cover the whole back side (which it seems is where the tear is).

I’m currently doing the latter for all of my enclosures. Here’s some pics that may show the process better.
0834E42B-2FCD-473B-95D7-47C07D805D7D.jpeg 784F1CDF-063D-49BC-87B6-9FF97385B9A3.jpeg 8234CEC3-77A3-4045-BEC4-34378BE09C59.jpeg
Many use 100% silicone to adhere coco coir. I’ve used Flex Seal in the past and currently using Plasti Dip, All require a significant gassing off period before use.

Oops! Just realized you said it’s the top. Duh! :rolleyes: My bad.
So try sewing the edges together with clear thread or fishing line. Not sure if hot glue would melt under basking light heat, but wouldn’t risk it.
Good idea with sewing. Wanted to redo the mesh top. Just risky with weight of the uvb an heat lamp. An maybe even a plant light.

Hi,
I don't understand why it can't be patched—size of tear?
I would either patch it or replace the mesh entirely with a screen repair kit.

Good idea with sewing. Wanted to redo the mesh top. Just risky with weight of the uvb an heat lamp. An maybe even a plant light.
Why is the weight of the lights on the mesh?
It can easily be distribute to the frame using 1x2 blocks or slats; or aluminum angle.

You could replace the back mesh with a solid piece of foamex or correx then use the mesh removed to re-screen the top panel IMG_20200622_150110922.jpg

Okay!!! There are many different ways you can fix- I just might be the cheapest person here.
1. silicone does actually work- I have a few fixed with silicone and apply wax paper for it to settle, then peal off wax paper. (easy)
2. I fill with the foam then I am able to put branches into it for climbing purposes.
3. Get a square patch of screen and do as above sew it.
4. Replace the whole piece if you have proper tools.
trial and error will help with future projects..
If you want pics of the above- let me know I will go out and take some. :)

I used duck tape just hoping it a work. Just trying keep uvb an heat lamp from over view of it. Hopefully zoomed will send another top as they said they will. But not holding my breath lol

Attachments

• 20210708_143811.jpg
    20210708_143811.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 55
I dunno. Tape is a bit risky as somehow it always seems to find it’s way stuck to the animal.
It's mostly just temporary. Replace the top or remesh it I think. Was just thinking use this area for fogger hose. Just make a hole an seal it. Just another minor fix. Still having issues with keeping live plants alive in my enclosures. Tried a umbrella plant but died in less then a month. So need to replace it with something easier to grow. Found a snake plant but no clue if there safe for chams. Other then that leaving as is for now. :(

It's mostly just temporary. Replace the top or remesh it I think. Was just thinking use this area for fogger hose. Just make a hole an seal it. Just another minor fix. Still having issues with keeping live plants alive in my enclosures. Tried a umbrella plant but died in less then a month. So need to replace it with something easier to grow. Found a snake plant but no clue if there safe for chams. Other then that leaving as is for now. :(
Do you have a plant light? Aside from pothos and philodendron, most plants need supplemental lighting or they die. I can’t remember if snake plants are safe or not. I do think it would get too much moisture though even if it is safe.

Do you have a plant light? Aside from pothos and philodendron, most plants need supplemental lighting or they die. I can’t remember if snake plants are safe or not. I do think it would get too much moisture though even if it is safe.
Currently no plant light. I tried one an kept Temps inside over 90 degrees. Not sure what route to take with plant lights. Working with 16x16 inch with basking an uvb fixture.

Understand you already solved your issue- just wanted to share some pics with the ideas..

Duct tape always seemed to fall off even when I placed on both sides (probably cheap duck tape).
Here are some quick screen repairs and some are going on 4 years without touch ups.
1. Mesh on mesh- amazon (probably can pick up at hardware store) has pre cut pieces that are super strong and pretty in expensive.

Woven Wire 10 Mesh - 12"X 24" 30X60cm Size - 2mm Hole - Coarse,Gauze Stainless Steel 304L 61% Open Area Rodent Mesh Garden Wire Mesh Replacements Cabinets Wire Mesh​

2. Foam filling with sand
3. Black silicone with branch.
4. Foam with branch
5 clear silicone with coconut bark (just looked better).

The 1st seems to be the best and you don't have to worry about heat lamp issues because it is stronger than regular screen.
Next item for future use and works well-
I put these on top of cages to protect the screen- like bars or what others have suggested.
product from Lowe's
1626012302315.png

"Gibraltar Building Products 8-in x 16-in Silver Galvanized Steel Soffit Vent"​

Just sharing some of my tricks.. I am sure others have better ideas.

Have fun!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20210709_004820035.jpg
    PXL_20210709_004820035.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20210709_004436228.jpg
    PXL_20210709_004436228.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20210709_004540842 (2).jpg
    PXL_20210709_004540842 (2).jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20210709_004526182.jpg
    PXL_20210709_004526182.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20210709_004725285.jpg
    PXL_20210709_004725285.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Still having issues with keeping live plants alive in my enclosures. Tried a umbrella plant but died in less then a month. So need to replace it with something easier to grow. Found a snake plant but no clue if there safe for chams. Other then that leaving as is for now. :(
Currently no plant light. I tried one an kept Temps inside over 90 degrees. Not sure what route to take with plant lights. Working with 16x16 inch with basking an uvb fixture.

16x16 is too small for many/most species of chameleons; I'm sure you've heard that already.

An excellent plant light for up to 24" x 24" x 48" or 36" x 18" x 36" enclosure is
https://www.sansiled.com/70w-led-grow-light-full-spectrum.html
My umbrella plant ( Schefflera arboricola ) is thriving under it.

Snake plant ( Dracaena trifasciata ) is a dracaena, so should be chameleon safe, however they do well with low/subdued light, and don't like a lot of watering (roots will rot if overwatered). I have one, but it's in a back corner where it's shaded by larger plants and from the mister.

Back
Top Bottom