screen question

wire screen is the most logical. it keeps feeders in and they cant chew through it, but can cause your cham to lose nails.
mesh is harder to find a good one, feeders can escape but its easier on your chams nails if your boy eats good out a cup and you dont mind the random escapee cricket then this may work but screens are easier i think.

ya, give him enough other stuff to climb on and as long as they can get around without touching the sides you should be fine. But you cant stop them completely, he will still climb the side some.

this was a cham i rescued and adopted out. now that the fun is over they are selling her!!!!! anyways take a look at the plastic chicken wire i added to the interior of the cage. IMO it works, i had two females pull nails and i put this in right away, had them for a few months after and never happened again

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pet/751741637.html

its plastic chicken wire - homedepot 7 bucks for more than you'll need

The plastic mesh is a good way to reduce the frequency of aluminum screen injuries, as noted by Joshua. As many solutions often create problems of their own, hopefully lesser problems, one thing to keep in mind when going to a plastic mesh, such as in the above solution, is the size of the mesh holes relative to the chameleon's head, neck, etc. If the holes are close enough for the chameleon to try to push through them, it will try. Most chameleon heads are streamlined so that it is easier to push through than it is to reverse back out, especially if a tight fit. When the hole size is just right, chameleons will get stuck. In the short run it will rub a raw spot on the top of the neck, as the chameleon will struggle. If not noticed soon enough, the chameleon can die there. While we often attribute above average reptile intelligence to chameleons, squeezing through holes "because they are there" is not an area where they excel intellectually. If it happens, the easiest and safest way to extricate the animal is usually to cut the mesh carefully with scissors, sliding them between the mesh and the chameleon, keeping the cutting edge and tip off the chameleon's skin. It can be done relatively easily.

In the photos provided, the mesh holes are plenty small enough to not be a problem with the chameleon pictured. For others considering such, try to be sure the holes are either safely too small, or safely too large, for there to be any risk.

Yea i understand that but i was thinking of purchasing a reptarium or the hard screen cages they sell at lllreptiles.. Whch one would be better for an adult panther chameleon

Just IMMHO, but the Reptarium is better for the chameleon While it will wear out before the metal screen cage, and over time crickets can successfully bore through it, although it usually takes a long time, it is also available in large sizes, and will not damage the chameleon.

Ok thanks and i also was wondering if you know at what age does panther chameleons start showing there color

I have tried reptariums, and have not had very much success with them; due to drainage problems, stuck zippers, and instability issues. Also the UV light penetrates through the standard screen cage more easily than reptariums. I continue to have much success with several of the screen cages. What size were you considering? Since your chameleon is still fairly small, you could consider trying a smaller reptarium, to see how you like it, and then go from their..... As he will probably need an even larger cage during adulthood.
You are silly, your question about coloring up was addressed by several people in the previous thread :0 It's confusing when topics jump all around, b/c you have this thread on the coloration subject, and have also mentioned the same topic in other threads of yours....
https://www.chameleonforums.com/panther-color-14200/

Last edited:
good save jim

sorry guys, i didnt even take a look at what cham this would be for, hopefully you can find an alternative plastic mesh that has smaller openings and bigger gauge plastic

for my smallest chams i double layered or triple layered the mesh over its self to have it cross over itself and reduce the size of the opening space between items

another thing to mention is that chams need the right size things to climb on.

IE: you wouldnt want a full grown cham to be crawling across a wire hanger. so keep that in mind, round things to grasp are best, and one that is the right size for the size of the chams hand

I make my own vivs and use graphite screen grey colored, never had a problem, I feed out of a cup only though, except an occasional moth, grasshopper, katydid, mantis, stick bug, those go in 1 at a time

Back
Top Bottom