Screen climbing

Any ideas on how to get my chameleon to stop climbing on the side of his cage. He has plenty of stuff in his cage so I wonder why he does it.

Here’s a picture of his cage

Attachments

• AD0E4B36-BBFF-46B6-9348-EEBE40EB935F.jpeg
    AD0E4B36-BBFF-46B6-9348-EEBE40EB935F.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 103
Could also be that one of your parameters is off. Filling out this form would give us a lot better idea of what the problem may be.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------
Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful.

All young chams do this, it’s normal. But I think yours is also doing it because the interior of your viv is lacking. Any empty space(within reason) in a viv is wasted space. Fill it up
Thank you. I will work on getting more stuff. He doesn’t do it often at all. This is only like the second time since we had him

Most of mine are native to Louisiana, so not going to help you much. All previous suggestions work well.

This is only like the second time since we had him
Good it’s only the second time, but what I’m concerned about only takes one time to kill him. I asked for the form and pics is because I’m concerned she will climb on the roof right below your basking spot causing severe burns. If your light is close to the screen it should be raised immediately.

Attachments

• C645BB05-143E-4499-A241-1755CF3472C8.png
    C645BB05-143E-4499-A241-1755CF3472C8.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
Most of mine are native to Louisiana, so not going to help you much. All previous suggestions work well.

Good it’s only the second time, but what I’m concerned about only takes one time to kill him. I asked for the form and pics is because I’m concerned she will climb on the roof right below your basking spot causing severe burns. If your light is close to the screen it should be raised immediately.
We made sure that the light is not to close to him. The bulb is in a very deep dome.

We made sure that the light is not to close to him. The bulb is in a very deep dome.
I also have kept in contact with the breeder making sure the lights are perfect for him:)

I had the same problem, not so much with him preferring the screen, because he didn't, but it made me nervous any time he climbed on it. He decided to sleep on it one night (see below) which made me really nervous. I decided to go with expandable lattice, bought from Amazon for $15-$20. He climbs and even sleeps on it occasionally and no worry about broken nails and possibly falling as a result.
IMG_20191222_125304.jpg IMG_20190505_020434.jpg IMG_20191220_233542.jpg

Last edited:
I have an 8 month Veiled and when I see him on the screen I know its hunting time. He's in a 7×3 foot enclosure and likes to go to the bottom to hunt, then follow the little buggers all the way up the screen. It took some getting used to for me to get over my own anxiety about him falling, but I have gotten past that stage and he is one happy guy! Like other have stated, you can definitely use some more foilage/skinny vines throughout the cage. Chameleons feel safe when they have lots of "hides" even if it's very obvious for us on where they're hiding lol. I would say dont sweat it otherwise, best of luck to ya!
20191220_105927.jpg

I would never set the heat lamp directly on the screen, elevate it with blocks, or make a PVC stand or home depot sells light clips

Back
Top Bottom