screen climbing prevention ?

jalli

getting a reptibreeze xl and I hate how she climbs the screen as is. worried she's gonna pull her nails out :( was curious what have you done to try and stop this ?

my current idea is to basically do a lattice work of smaller branches up n down the sides n back of the cage. benefit of being able to support branches, plants all around.

also kicking around the spray foam/cork tiles idea, for the background. mainly for moisure retention.

Or you could just put 4 thin pieces of plexiglass(not Lexan, it yellows) on the inside that are about 24x24 on the upper half of the cage.

Or if you are really diy, just replace the steel (it will rust out in a few years anyway) hardware cloth with 1/4" hardware cloth that is toe friendly. The hard part is finding the right gauge that fits in the screen gap.

I attached branches and long thin pieces of wood to the inside of the cage so he has something to grab onto other than the mesh. Hot glue was a lifesaver when putting together my cage.

Or you could just put 4 thin pieces of plexiglass(not Lexan, it yellows) on the inside that are about 24x24 on the upper half of the cage.

Or if you are really diy, just replace the steel (it will rust out in a few years anyway) hardware cloth with 1/4" hardware cloth that is toe friendly. The hard part is finding the right gauge that fits in the screen gap.

that was my first thought finding sum 1/4 coated hardware cloth but I haven't found it smaller then 1/2, which I mite just go with since the cup/hand feeding training is going ok. yeah I'm pretty diy got a stand with removable lay bin project lined up for the next couple weekends still deciding if I wanna drop the $$ on cedar or go with sumthing else and line it...
also now have learned my lesson that the green mat is as bad as the screen lol hello Sunday newspaper

Jalli, do you have many walkways consisting of vines and branches throughout various levels of the cage and especially towards the top? Sometimes, if there is not enough places for them to climb they will use the sides of the cage.

Is she fairly new to her enclosure? When I first got my cham, she climbed on the screen. She was merely exploring her new habitat, which took a week. Did you make any recent changes in there? That could be causing her a little bit of distress. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom