Screen climbing and trying to get out

Jocccellynnn

Established Member
My t5 linear uvb came in the mail about 2 days ago and ever since I put it up she’s been trying to get out and climbs to the highest beach or screen climbs and when I come to her cage she comes to the front to get out. Im not sure what it could be besides the uvb light because she didn’t do this before. She’s eating fine still and I see her drink multiple times a day but I’m not sure why she’s unhappy with her cage. Any criticism or help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 105
What is the temperature inside the cage (both at basking and the bottom), and how far is the UVB light from the basking area?

What is the temperature inside the cage (both at basking and the bottom), and how far is the UVB light from the basking area?
The uvb is 7 inches from her basking area, her basking area temp is 75 and the mid of her cage to the bottom is 67.

I know you recently had your husbandry reviewed and (I think) the cage size was discussed (correct me if I'm wrong)?
Can you also remind me how old your girl is?

I know you recently had your husbandry reviewed and (I think) the cage size was discussed (correct me if I'm wrong)?
She’s 5-6 months I believe. And yes I’m hoping to get her a bigger cage soon but I was focused on getting the uvb first. That could be it though

She’s 5-6 months I believe. And yes I’m hoping to get her a bigger cage soon but I was focused on getting the uvb first. That could be it though
I was hoping to build her next cage so I can get a bigger Size for the price but that would take some time.

My t5 linear uvb came in the mail about 2 days ago and ever since I put it up she’s been trying to get out and climbs to the highest beach or screen climbs and when I come to her cage she comes to the front to get out. Im not sure what it could be besides the uvb light because she didn’t do this before. She’s eating fine still and I see her drink multiple times a day but I’m not sure why she’s unhappy with her cage. Any criticism or help would be appreciated.
Time for a larger enclosure hun. You need a 2x2x4 size. She is getting too large for the baby cage.

The t5 should be placed over a basking branch 9 inches down if you have a T5HO with a 5.0 or 6% bulb.

Make sure your pulling temps with a probed digital gauge that is attached at the basking branch below the heat fixture to get accurate basking temps. No hotter then 78-80 for her.

So @Beman do you think the cause for her behavior is driven by the enclosure size?
I see a few things from the image. Enclosure size being the main issue. This looks like the small reptibreeze which is 16x16x20 tall.
A 16x16X30 is too small for a chameleon of this age. So being as how it is in an even smaller environment that is very short this leaves no places to move up really and no real gradients for temps in the enclosure.

Other is uvb lighting. It is too close. She would sense the higher uvb output so this may be causing her to try to go down and regulate her uvb more. Or it may very well be the temps are hotter then the OP believes them to be...

But honestly I come back to the cage size and the age/size of the cham. This cage would be suitable for a newly hatched to 3 month old at best.

I see a few things from the image. Enclosure size being the main issue. This looks like the small reptibreeze which is 16x16x20 tall.
A 16x16X30 is too small for a chameleon of this age. So being as how it is in an even smaller environment that is very short this leaves no places to move up really and no real gradients for temps in the enclosure.

Other is uvb lighting. It is too close. She would sense the higher uvb output so this may be causing her to try to go down and regulate her uvb more. Or it may very well be the temps are hotter then the OP believes them to be...

But honestly I come back to the cage size and the age/size of the cham. This cage would be suitable for a newly hatched to 3 month old at best.
I know I need to get her a bigger one. I’ve been looking online but I know that id be able to build a bigger one for cheaper. But I will get into that as soon as I have time.

You have to start building now hun or just buy one. She is much too large for this one. Her behavior is going to stay the same with the screen climbing and being more anxious. https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage
Okay thanks for that link I’ll get one on my next paycheck. Her behavior did change after I moved the uvb to a higher distance. I lifted it up on planks so it wouldn’t be so close to her basking branch and she seems like she’s back to normal. She seemed really scared of the light. I’m pretty sure that was the problem because she seems ok now that it is further from her. But I’ll definitely get another enclosure ASAP. Thanks

Okay thanks for that link I’ll get one on my next paycheck. Her behavior did change after I moved the uvb to a higher distance. I lifted it up on planks so it wouldn’t be so close to her basking branch and she seems like she’s back to normal. She seemed really scared of the light. I’m pretty sure that was the problem because she seems ok now that it is further from her. But I’ll definitely get another enclosure ASAP. Thanks
You want a 9 inch total distance to the top of her back, no more then that. :)

Will this one be big enough or should I get a bigger one?
You need the bigger one that I gave you the link for or a second one the same size as you got and put them side by side removing the screen in between so that it is one wide enclosure 36 wide by 36 tall rather then 18 square by 36 tall. They need to be able to move around.

Back
Top Bottom