Screen cages

Dbernardo

I'm just curious, if the screen cages harm adult chameleons nails why is that all that is sold? I am looking around at different ideas so when my baby veiled chameleons get bigger I can upgrade the cage, but everything is a screen or glass which isn't good. I can't free range because we have 3 dogs and I just don't want to risk an incident. What are some things that you all have done? Do you build your own cages? Just trying to plan ahead. Thank you!

chameleons are very prone to respiratory issues and do require better air movement than most reptiles, hence the screen enclosure being mostly what you find.. most of the nail issues I have encountered only seem to be when they are young and the nails are still small and softer than the screen itself.. not always but mostly..
I built my own mainly for size, shape and quality that I wanted which was not available for sale anywhere..
also...glass can be a source of stress for them.. glass refracts their own appearance back at them and they see it as another cham which they don't like... they are exclusively solitary animals so constantly seeing another near them stresses them out...
I do have a glass enclosure used for another type of lizard and it took him quite a long time to get used to seeing his own reflection, so I can imagine how discomforting it can be for these guys...

Thank you! Did you use screen or did you use a larger fencing material for your cage. We are thinking we will build two cages, we have two veiled babies right now. They are in the same cage but we built a separation barrier. They can not see each other but share the lights. I know this is temporary because the cage will be too small once they grow. Trying to get ideas now so we can plan. Thank you!!

Thank you! Did you use screen or did you use a larger fencing material for your cage. We are thinking we will build two cages, we have two veiled babies right now. They are in the same cage but we built a separation barrier. They can not see each other but share the lights. I know this is temporary because the cage will be too small once they grow. Trying to get ideas now so we can plan. Thank you!!

Not all chams climb their cage screens. The more often they do the more likely for a claw to get caught and pulled out. If the cage is roomy with a lot of foliage and branches that reach all areas around the cage that can help. With really devoted screen climbers you can create routes on the inside of the screen with dowels, twigs, flexible netting, pieces of fishnet, etc. so the cham doesn't actually need to touch the screen itself.

used screen all around except for the top... I used 1/4 weld wire for the top to hopefully not block as much light and UVB but turned out to be kind of a mistake... even with the small 1/4" holes the crickets can get through it... so I would recommend screen if you don't want your crickets to be running loose around the house...
I've built several so if you need any advise just let me know... be glad to help..

Back
Top Bottom