Scratching on glass/Need new terrarium?

GrapeApe

Hello, my 8 month (give or take) old female chameleon has started scratching/trying to climb the glass walls of my terrarium. The terrarium is a tall 10 gallon ZooMed Naturalistic. I use coconut bark shavings as substrate to keep in moisture and allow her to bury eggs. She's grown a little bit but I don't think she's fully grown.
Is it bad that she keeps scratching the glass?
Also do I need to get a bigger terrarium?
Any good, inexpensive ideas for a bigger terrarium?

I want to get a bigger terrarium regardless of whether she needs it or not, but I live on a college campus in a suite on campus so It'd be a bit difficult to do.

What kinda Cham do u have first of all and I'll say this YES u will need a bigger cam and should be screen cage please post pic and read care sheets

Hello, my 8 month (give or take) old female chameleon has started scratching/trying to climb the glass walls of my terrarium. The terrarium is a tall 10 gallon ZooMed Naturalistic. I use coconut bark shavings as substrate to keep in moisture and allow her to bury eggs. She's grown a little bit but I don't think she's fully grown.
Is it bad that she keeps scratching the glass?
Also do I need to get a bigger terrarium?
Any good, inexpensive ideas for a bigger terrarium?

I want to get a bigger terrarium regardless of whether she needs it or not, but I live on a college campus in a suite on campus so It'd be a bit difficult to do.
And there is nothing inexpensive about chams I take it you took the advice of a pet store worker for example my set up to give propped care to my Panther Cham cost over 1000 dollars here's a pic my cage is 2 feet by 2 feet by 4 feet high

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 224
And there is nothing inexpensive about chams I take it you took the advice of a pet store worker for example my set up to give propped care to my Panther Cham cost over 1000 dollars here's a pic my cage is 2 feet by 2 feet by 4 feet high

No need to be condescending, @Mikesyring

There is actually a lot of misinformation all over the internet as well.

I have several chams and haven't spent over a $1000 for their setup. Inexpensive is a relative term, anyway. @GrapeApe , it is generally a bad idea to keep a chameleon in a glass tank whether or not you have a screen top. The lack of airflow is bad for them and can lead to health issues. Let's face it, these guys spend a lot of time in limbs and trees in the wild which equals a fair amount of air flow.

IF she has "grown a bit" she probably isn't about to be popping out eggs anytime soon. Regardless of that, she would need far more than coconut bark to lay eggs in. Search the forum for "egg laying bin" and you will catch my meaning. Various species tend to dig deep to bury eggs.

Unless it is a smaller species by genus, it is going to need a larger enclosure, preferably not made of glass. :) Check out reptariums, zilla, and others. There are a fair amount of inexpensive "knock-down" furniture type setups. I love wire cages and with a fair bit of ingenuity you can add on to a smaller one with another one like legos. I do.

Check these out. They start at $50 and go up. Definitely affordable on a college budget.
http://www.reptilebasics.com/screen-cages/

What species?
Please post a recent photo of her and one of the cage.

I would remove the substrate and put an opaque container of washed playsand in her cage so she has a place to dig in case she has eggs. The container should be at least 12" deep by 12" by 8".

What species?
Please post a recent photo of her and one of the cage.

I would remove the substrate and put an opaque container of washed playsand in her cage so she has a place to dig in case she has eggs. The container should be at least 12" deep by 12" by 8".
The substrate is coconut bark shavings, so she can dig just fine, I've watched her dig a couple times.

@GrapeApe,does this female cham happen to be a veiled or panther,maybe u can reveal her identity since everyone here are asking u the same question,so it will be easier for us to give u our opinion:)

I agree but no way a ten gallon aquarium is sufficient for an 8 month old
@GrapeApe,does this female cham happen to be a veiled or panther,maybe u can reveal her identity since everyone here are asking u the same question,so it will be easier for us to give u our opinion:)

Play sand is less likely to cause impaction than coconut bark shavings and many female chameleons will ingest substrates...especially veileds...If that's what your chameleon is.

I'm sorry if we got started off on the wrong foot could you please help us to understand your situation by showing us a pic of your enclosure, and Chameleon. Glass enclosures can be alright if they are vented properly, However unless you have pygmies I think your enclosure is most likely too small.

Back
Top Bottom