Scares or Bacteria Infection

Ninjazrain

Hello, so I have 7 baby chameleons left from a clutch of 32. I've started separating them at 3 months and its still a process but the separating began after an incidence where I found baby boy (The runt of the clutch) at the bottom of there 4ft enclosure all black.
Obviously he was bullied and was given his own enclosure and made a good recovery from the fight. He still has the bite marks on his little head, black scratch like markings.
I'm not sure if I should take him to the vet for bacterial/fungus infection. It's been a month since the fight and he didn't shed at all until now. I was hoping his shed would have his head looking all better but now its white like scaring but it almost looks infected. Also he's only 1.5 inches but his siblings average 5 inches rn. Please let me know your thoughts.

Temp is 76 low 72
Humidity pretty on consistent 44

Hydro system installed for hourly, kinda make shift drainage system with this enclosure

Crickets strictly for now, 1 dozen a day, weekly calcium d3 and vitamin rep-cal combo
Only chicken feed gutload

Live plants Petra Croton, Creeping Jenny, Mum, and a Calibrachoa I’m trying to revive

Little to no handling
Sorry if I missed anything

Attachments

• babyboyleft.jpg
    babyboyleft.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 61
  • babyboyright.jpg
    babyboyright.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 59
  • pair.jpg
    pair.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 60
  • babybcagefront.jpg
    babybcagefront.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3207.jpg
    IMG_3207.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 63
Watch for: Closed eyes in the day, lethargy, and no eating and drinking...is usually a tell tale sign something is wrong/bugging him...chameleon academy has some GREAT info on what to look for when your worried. I'd suggest reading the whole site, it's packed full of resources.

Wounds take A LONG time to heal...especially in reptiles.

If your worried, I'd make a vet appointment asap. Better safe then sorry. Make sure to fill out the husbandry form, it will help out the pros on here to figure our what's wrong....

He looks healthy and plump from the pictures, BUT chams are known to pretend to be 100% good health so they don't lose their territory, potential mates, or die to a larger predator.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male , 4 Months old. Hatched from clutch July 11th
Handling - Almost never
Feeding - Feeding crickets, 2 dose every other day? Day time or morning is when I feed them. Gut load is chicken feed, organic oatmeal, spinach, apples, tangerines, cucumbers
Supplements - Rep-cal calcium with d3 and multi vitamin combo once a week
Watering - Hydro system, sprays for 1 minute every 3 hours. They drink nearly every time the mister comes on but if I notice them looking suspiciously dry I shower them directly with a spay bottle until they drink from there lips
Fecal Description - All 7 seem to have consistently dark poop, solid with a mucus membrane and white tip. I haven't tested for parasites but I'm gonna look into that, I keep there enclosures fairly clean but I never know where my cricket supplier get his crickets
History - There mother passed due to eggbound. Father passed after an unfortunate event where I had to relocate him but in the moving process he attacked his climbing stick and got a severe gum infection

Cage Info:
Cage Type - I usually build my cages with oak frame, plywood and aluminum mesh considering most commercial cages rust out, but Babyboy is actually in a commercial. Small but roughly 2x1x2. He's only 2in tail and all so he has plenty of room
Lighting - Zilla Slimeline, Tropical 25 T8. Not a fan though, I've been upgrading them all with Arcadia's. Huge difference. Also a very low full spectrum heat bulb, I think 25 watt
Temperature - 76 and 72 low, Night is 70-72. Its consistent unless someone messes with the A/C
Humidity - Its about 50%, I've seen it at 45% and at 60%. I have 3 cages right now so the humidity is consistent through the entire room, like jungle atmosphere
Plants - Petra Croton, Creeping Jenny, Mum, and a Calibrachoa in Babyboy's enclosure
Placement - They are actually in my work office, gives me a reason to actually come to work on time. Low traffic, just me walking in and out, all the cages are off the ground do to the drainage systems under them but Babyboy's cage is about at waist height
Location - East Coast, Maryland

Current Problem - Bite on head, Scaring

Hello, so I have 7 baby chameleons left from a clutch of 32. I've started separating them at 3 months and its still a process but the separating began after an incidence where I found baby boy (The runt of the clutch) at the bottom of there 4ft enclosure all black.
Obviously he was bullied and was given his own enclosure and made a good recovery from the fight. He still has the bite marks on his little head, black scratch like markings.
I'm not sure if I should take him to the vet for bacterial/fungus infection. It's been a month since the fight and he didn't shed at all until now. I was hoping his shed would have his head looking all better but now its white like scaring but it almost looks infected. Also he's only 1.5 inches but his siblings average 5 inches rn. Please let me know your thoughts.

Temp is 76 low 72
Humidity pretty on consistent 44

Hydro system installed for hourly, kinda make shift drainage system with this enclosure

Crickets strictly for now, 1 dozen a day, weekly calcium d3 and vitamin rep-cal combo
Only chicken feed gutload

Live plants Petra Croton, Creeping Jenny, Mum, and a Calibrachoa I’m trying to revive

Little to no handling
Sorry if I missed anything
White means dead skin (black) has slaughed off and color will slowly grow back. I experienced this with a major burn. It just takes a long time. As long as no exposed meat is visable (no pink) no risk of infection. If there is, neosporin or silver cream which both have antibiotic properties.

Back
Top Bottom