Scared

What was wrong with the 1 youve got here? Why the mist king? Where do you live? Do you manage to maintain himidity with the mesh cage? Does misting make a lot of mess? Ie what running out of the mesh sides? All over the floor? I imagine a shower curtain spoils the look too lol
To increase the humidity, I had to cover the back and one side with plastic. But his urates were not pure white, so I knew he wasn't drinking from the Little Dripper, so I moved the humidifier from the side, to the top. The small amount of water that accumulates on the top screen is where he seems to drink, along with licking some vines below it. There is an umbrella plant just below it that catches the water. My drain pan is dry.
But filling the humidifier AND the [useless] dripper, then draining the container below the dripper is a pain, and his urates are still not completely white, so I'm going to buy the Mist King.
I'm a radiologist so the plastic that I used is actually digital x-ray film [that has no silver, but it's on the outside of the cage any way].

Hmmm i thought of taping the shower curtain to the side an back of the cage tightly an hope it doesnt look so bad. If need be. I know its gonna be a pain mopping up after each misting as the bottom of the cage is glass.

Wambo you are going to love your Mist King.Best product ever. My guy knows the times now and he waits to drink almost right from the nozzle

Hmmm i thought of taping the shower curtain to the side an back of the cage tightly an hope it doesnt look so bad. If need be. I know its gonna be a pain mopping up after each misting as the bottom of the cage is glass.

Zip ties or hot glue works well to hold shower curtain to a screen cage, slightly more work but far better looking is to use expanding foam and cork panels on the inside to create a solid corner or 2. I like the dragonstrand breeder cages because of the solid walls but have converted a few screen cages using both the curtain method and cork panels, the panels are not only better looking but hold humidity better and allow the chameleon to climb the walls without hurting any nails.

Is the cork ok with getting wet? Doesnt encourage mould? I saw a cage with like trellis inside. That looked nice. Can they climb cork?

Sorry one more question do you think a 60 watt bulb for basking would be ok and they should be 6 inches away from it? Is that right? Can someone recommend a perfect uvb? Im in the uk.
Im asking you lot as i dont want to just take the per shops word for it x

I did as her about misting today an she said its no biggie she mists in the morning then drops some ice cubes in a dripper b4 she goes to work and theyre fine till she gets home. Hers were in an all glass enclosure an her own pet 1 was there too and hes 8 yrs old!

The 60 watt heat bulb usually does the job. The location should be determined by a thermometer reading at the top of your cage to ensure that it's not too hot or not too cold. You may need to raise it to get the temp right. Temps are posted on the care sheet page.

Hi Karen, I'm in the U.K and I always only ever buy Arcadia T5 UV products, I know one reptile shop who refuses to stock anything else.
I have my panther in a wooden viv- humidity isn't a problem and I added ventilation panels so the air didn't get stagnant, and I have a large watertight tray over the whole base that the plants sit in so misting and big dripper doesnt get viv wet and it hasnt started to rot at all because of the tray- I can't keep humidity up in a mesh cage here so the wooden one works great for me, the house is cold too so for me the wooden one helps temps,
I , too, have willow expanding trellis on the sides so he can climb up where ever he likes,works really well and he loves the added climbing space, the willow is great because it's a perfect size for a chameleon foot to grip onto, Best of luck.(y)

Karen welcome to the forums n it's great to b worried to me it means u care. By setting up the cage early will give u the time needed to dial everything in before n not stress your Cham. Theres a ton of great info and people willing to share there advice I think u will just have to set up n try and I think it all will fall into place 4 u stop worrying so much u r going to b a great mom just from what I've read in the forums.i live in Canada n here's a pic of my setup I do find it tougher to keep humitity up so I wrapped my cage with a shower curtain as others said

How comes so many ppl have problems?

I just wanted to ease your mind on this one a bit. A majority of the HELP threads on here are from people who have jumped into keeping Chams before they have done research or took the advise of a pet store that has incorrect information. By the time they think to come here, they're in deep into an issue. So you are seeing a lot of one time posters who will only jump on for a problem, some will try and learn, others will get defensive and some will just down right not do what needs to be done to fix things. If you take the time to learn, you will be just fine. You are doing it right, learning and asking questions.

I will say that I didn't have a mister for the first 4 years of keeping Chams, while it was possible, let's be honest, there are many days that misting by hand as often as I needed too just wasn't reality. Getting the Mistking was the best decision that I ever made for my Cham.

I was thinking of the cold here and wondering if the glass viv could work?
There are many that make glass work, I believe it is more work but can be done. I myself have not used glass because of the cost and I can maintain humidity and temp with screen.

Twitchet. Its nice to know someone else in the uk. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

How do people attach trellis or vines to glass or wooden vivs?
Thanks in advance x

Twitchet. Its nice to know someone else in the uk. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Thanks in advance x

Thanks in advance x

Hi there, I don't know if anyone's got any clever tricks for glass ( I use ha6 aquarium silicone for adding stuff in my glass vivs) but in my wooden viv it was easy, I got those cable clips that electricians use to fix cable along a wall , removed the nail they come with added a screw in its place and screwed it onto the walls of the viv with the clip sitting comfortably safely and securely around the willow twig, just find the appropriate size clip and it works a treat. Now everywhere here with a chamelon has willow trellis!

Back
Top Bottom