Scared of yocu cham?

Ellron

Established Member
It scares me to get my guy out. I need to clean his cage though.
He hisses and snaps and bites, and crawls away to cover.
Its really hard for me to get him out. I've tried everything...

Wear large gloves. If he bites just let him bite you, don't yanck your finger out his mouth. Plus the bites only pinch a little :) or use a stick to get him out.

Yah, thats all that worked for me.
Don't have any silkies on hand now :(
I'm going to the feeder store tomorrow.

how long have you had him? I used a stick to get mine out at first and then I would use gloves(for precaution) but he never once tried to bite. Then my bare hands. Have you ever tried opening the door and let him come out on his own terms?. It seems that chams are much more friendly once they are out of their cages. Sometimes you just get a mean one though and there is nothing you can do to change them I guess. that is why i was wondering if you just got him or this has been an ongoing problem.

how long have you had him? I used a stick to get mine out at first and then I would use gloves(for precaution) but he never once tried to bite. Then my bare hands. Have you ever tried opening the door and let him come out on his own terms?. It seems that chams are much more friendly once they are out of their cages. Sometimes you just get a mean one though and there is nothing you can do to change them I guess. that is why i was wondering if you just got him or this has been an ongoing problem.

Its been an ongoing problem. I've had him since March of '10

Have you tried to free range? They are usually much friendlier once not in a cage.

No I haven't. I've always wanted to though!
My house is pretty tiny 1,200sq. ft., so I don't have much extra room to set up a free range.

Last edited:
If he doesn't step on your hand easily, touch the underside of his neck gently. Move slowly so you don't startle him. When he grabs your finger, lift up his front feet a bit to get him to grab on with his back feet. You may have to use your other hand to gently get him to let go with his back legs and tail and grab onto your hand.

I just always worked from the assumption that mine wouldn't actually bite. He gaped, at worst, and only tried to bite when I had to grab his head and force feed medicine. Poor guy. I think he's still mad at me for that. :(

Have you tried to free range? They are usually much friendlier once not in a cage.

My boy is SO MUCH friendlier now, being free-range, oh my stars!! My daughter is visiting and could not believe I walked right up to him, quietly, talked softly and moved slowly, he climbed right up on me. I am so happy about this as he wasn't completely aggressive in the cage like some people have talked about, but he spooked easily and puffed up, dark colors, etc. Not that anything is a cure-all but I just wanted to say that it did help with my guy.

Back
Top Bottom