Scared chameleon

Anach

It’s been a week since I have brought Mr. Rainbow home. I got him at the reptile show and he was so easy to handle, he seemed very comfortable climbing up and down my arm, he even let my son handle him. Once we got home we placed him in his new home and as I’ve researched before, I gave him time to settle without bothering him. Today I tried handling him for the first time, he claimed on a stick and then on my arm. The little guy was terrified. He started puffing and hissing and even snapped at me once.
My question is- why was he so comfortable and chill at the reptile show? Do they drug them or something so they seem “friendly”? Why is he so stressed now? Maybe he needs more time? I’ve attached some pictures we took, he seems so calm

Attachments

• 6E087A63-C8C5-4128-ABFF-0FE591386578.jpeg
    6E087A63-C8C5-4128-ABFF-0FE591386578.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 87
  • F30EA559-CA56-4335-8783-4F8FB0769CD2.jpeg
    F30EA559-CA56-4335-8783-4F8FB0769CD2.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 83
The only thing I can think of is he was over stimulated at the show.... Chams honestly are not overly friendly. Now that he is finally getting time to calm down and adjust to his environment he is being more of a chameleon. It is not that he is stressed now. He is simply acting like a cham now. They can also become more defensive if they are still within range of their cage. So if you took him out and were standing right next to his space he could have been acting more defensive due to this.

I would hold off on letting your son handle him. If he does decide to strike a child is going to be far more likely to shake their hand to get him off... Until he fully adjusts to the home, cage, and you this is really risky.

The only thing I can think of is he was over stimulated at the show.... Chams honestly are not overly friendly. Now that he is finally getting time to calm down and adjust to his environment he is being more of a chameleon. It is not that he is stressed now. He is simply acting like a cham now. They can also become more defensive if they are still within range of their cage. So if you took him out and were standing right next to his space he could have been acting more defensive due to this.

I would hold off on letting your son handle him. If he does decide to strike a child is going to be far more likely to shake their hand to get him off... Until he fully adjusts to the home, cage, and you this is really risky.
Got it, thank you for your opinion

I picked up or guy a week or two back and initially he was very calm.
He climbed right out of shipping container to my arm and climbed up to my shoulder to chill.
We introduced him to his cage and he was very cool.
We don't handle him, but I could present him with a hornworm in my fingers and he would eat.
Now that he's settled in has established his 'territory', he does the 'puff up and hiss to show what a big killer i am' act.
They're really not a social pet to handle. They're more of an 'I tolerates you as long as you feed me and don't bother me' type of pet.

Just curious about the story: Inland empire craigslist has same picture listed for 400.00 today. Are you selling him or bought him?
1643523041063.png

I picked up or guy a week or two back and initially he was very calm.
He climbed right out of shipping container to my arm and climbed up to my shoulder to chill.
We introduced him to his cage and he was very cool.
We don't handle him, but I could present him with a hornworm in my fingers and he would eat.
Now that he's settled in has established his 'territory', he does the 'puff up and hiss to show what a big killer i am' act.
They're really not a social pet to handle. They're more of an 'I tolerates you as long as you feed me and don't bother me' type of pet.
My early experiences were very similar. IMO, once they get used to the new digs, they get territorial & defensive.

At this point, if he wants out, he'll charge me, stop on my hand and give me a warning hiss (for show) and continue up my arm. If he doesn't want out, he just won't climb onto my hand, so I leave him alone.

Back
Top Bottom