Scared Chameleon

Rocco13

About a week or so ago I rehoused my chameleon to a bigger cage (24x24x48) and i’ve noticed that she’s been very sacred of me, i have a potted plant in the corner that she hangs around it for most of the day but at times she’ll go to her basking branch to warm up. Whenever I get near the cage or whenever i’m opening it she gets skiddish and tends to run away real fast back to the plant.

About a week or so ago I rehoused my chameleon to a bigger cage (24x24x48) and i’ve noticed that she’s been very sacred of me, i have a potted plant in the corner that she hangs around it for most of the day but at times she’ll go to her basking branch to warm up. Whenever I get near the cage or whenever i’m opening it she gets skiddish and tends to run away real fast back to the plant.
another thing i’ve noticed is that whenever i get close to the cage with her on my arm about to put her back in, she gets all scared too and like hides behind my arm so i can’t see her, it’s just very confusing behavior to me.

Hi. :) Sounds relatively ‘normal’ to me. When we keep chams in smaller enclosures, they aren’t very happy and want out, even if it means they have to be friendly to a human (ugh!). Once they have all that wonderful space, they are more comfortable and have no need of us humans (except for food). No idea why she would appear scared when she is on your arm other than perhaps she doesn’t yet recognize her enclosure as her safe home when she’s outside of it. I’d say give her some time to better adjust. Make sure she has plenty of live plants to hide in and have some privacy. This blog on building trust is great and also may help. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

44B04A58-8DE8-48B0-9DEF-7C73F326A232.jpeg

Yes more plants will help your chameleon feel safe. This site has the plants from the Chameleon Academy and Chameleon.info with specific plant care and placement: https://caskabove.com/chameleon-safe-plants

Also, check your temps and UV to make sure your little one isn’t uncomfortable. It takes them a few days to get used to enclosure changes but odd behavior for over a few weeks will be concerning.☺️

Back
Top Bottom