Scared Cham

VanessaRose

I just got a new cham about a week ago. He is so skiddish and I don’t know what to do. Every time u go to put more crickets in his cage he gets so worked up he sometimes falls off the branch and I have to catch him. I don’t want him to be this nervous when I’m just putting crickets in the cage and I eventually want him to be comfortable even crawling on to my hand to be hand fed (although I know that won’t happen for quite some time). What do I do for right now so that he is not terrified when I am just trying to put food in his cage?

can you fill out the how to ask for help form in my signature below, a healthy cham doesn't fall usually. I have only heard of chams freezing hissing and lunging but not falling. as for advice on how to get him used to you, sit in front of his cage, let him know that every time he sees u he wont be prodded with your hands. do something in an area where he can see you whether its reading a book, doing work or just texting family and friends spend as much time as possible around him. then he'll start to trust you a little more then work your way up to hand feeding, that's a great way to bond with your chameleon.

I just got a new cham about a week ago. He is so skiddish and I don’t know what to do. Every time u go to put more crickets in his cage he gets so worked up he sometimes falls off the branch and I have to catch him. I don’t want him to be this nervous when I’m just putting crickets in the cage and I eventually want him to be comfortable even crawling on to my hand to be hand fed (although I know that won’t happen for quite some time). What do I do for right now so that he is not terrified when I am just trying to put food in his cage?
What's the setup like? If its sparse with no where for him to feel safe then he'll be stressed whenever you go near.

Assuming you have to look hard to find him (that's how covered in plants and vines it should be), just spending time in the vicinity will help him see you're not a threat. Then do the same with the enclosure open. Then work towards cleaning up but without being near him. Then try to offer food and so on.

It doesn't always work. Some chams are just not going to tolerate you. My female lets me work in the viv, even pretty close to her. She takes food from my fingers but no way is she getting closer than 3 inches from my hand. It's no big deal, it's just how she is and I'm fine with that.

Last edited:
just a qucik comment be slow and methodical in your movement. no quick movements. slow and steady dont lock eyes to much just do your thing and liek the others sais. linger hang around and he will settle. i agrre the falling thing is very unusual. patience is key

If it's a young cham they are very jumpy. You need to be moving slowly and calm. You can try not to make eye contact for now and see if that helps. Ignore him while you go about feeding and cleaning. As he gets older he might not be so jumpy.

My little girl is a bit skiddish, but she is slowly warmig up. Give her a few months to adjust. I compare this to someone who has been kidnapped. It doesnt know where it is or who you are, and everytime you come close it thinks OH GOD WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO TO ME!?! Lol it’s terrible but true!

As others have said, move slowly. I talk to mine and show them that I have food before opening the cage (where possible). Clarice seems to respond to my calmly talking to her and showing her what I have. If I’m too quick I still spook her.

Make sure there is somewhere to retreat to, and if you move slowly enough they should have a chance to do so. Clarice would hide in a corner plant and eat. I’d offer BSFL on my hand and she wouldn’t come out would shoot from the bushes. Eventully (and slowly) we’ve worked our way up to her eagerly coming to the edge of the cage to eat from my hand. Now I’m working on offering my other hand to stand on while she eats... building up to her coming out on my hand freely to play outside.

Just take it slow. It’s been 3 months for me to get to this point, and it will probably take 3 more to get her where I’d like. My male is the total opposite and will literally leap onto me to eat or free range.

Back
Top Bottom