Save a Jackson?

Kristen99

Avid Member
There was a juvenile Jackson chameleon at Petco in my area today I watched him for a while while he crawled along the bottom of the small enclosure it broke my heart I noticed he only had to horn's and was missing his left top horn. I really want to rescue him any advice would be greatly appreciated as this would be a new species for me I have been doing a little research but I'm well aware that I need to do a lot more on this Montane species.

I fully agree with @jamest0o0 , it sucks to leave him in the store but if you buy him you're giving the store what they want and they'll just stock up more.
Besides, odds are you will have to spend a lot of money on vet later in life because of the history of poor husbandry.

You want an end to seeing these animals poorly taking care of in commercial stores? Then don't buy your reptiles in those stores. If you do, you're part of the problem even if you consider it a 'rescue'.

I don't know if this will help you or not. Judging by it's missing horn it is most likely a wild caught Hawaiian Zanth and has the parasites associated with wild caught chams. It has now been thru extended shipping stress and was at some distributers place before the pet store. It has had some horrible treatment and exposure to many parasites and diseases. You have a chameleon at home that might get exposed to who knows what parasites, CANV or other diseases. You would need to have some disposable income to isolate and treat this guy with very little hope of survival.
In a few months there is going to be a flood of healthier captive bred Xanths for sale everywhere from the Kenyan Xanth Project (look it up on FB). They have babies being born like crazy right now. You could be part of the project to establish these more genetically diverse Kenyans rather than support the pet store trade.
They are being super supportive of beginner keepers. Now matter what you will learn a lot from them.

There was a juvenile Jackson chameleon at Petco in my area today I watched him for a while while he crawled along the bottom of the small enclosure it broke my heart I noticed he only had to horn's and was missing his left top horn. I really want to rescue him any advice would be greatly appreciated as this would be a new species for me I have been doing a little research but I'm well aware that I need to do a lot more on this Montane species.

We got ours from a Petco in MI. I can honestly say, we are so attached and it has been a night mare trying to get his health up.... continued respitory issues--he was housed poorly, had no reg dripper and wasn't kept at a recc humidity.

Knowing after all this it may be all for not, plus they filled his cage with new babies the next week...I wouldn't do it again. As hard as it is to pass rescuing them.

Hello @Kristen99 we got Frances from Petsmart . She is our grumpy beauty queen . We are so very attached to her . She as well has had continuous health issues , Constant visits , special diet , and breathing treatments . We constantly worry for her . We are e happy we could help her but will never ever get another from a pet store .

I don't know if this will help you or not. Judging by it's missing horn it is most likely a wild caught Hawaiian Zanth and has the parasites associated with wild caught chams. It has now been thru extended shipping stress and was at some distributers place before the pet store. It has had some horrible treatment and exposure to many parasites and diseases. You have a chameleon at home that might get exposed to who knows what parasites, CANV or other diseases. You would need to have some disposable income to isolate and treat this guy with very little hope of survival.
In a few months there is going to be a flood of healthier captive bred Xanths for sale everywhere from the Kenyan Xanth Project (look it up on FB). They have babies being born like crazy right now. You could be part of the project to establish these more genetically diverse Kenyans rather than support the pet store trade.
They are being super supportive of beginner keepers. Now matter what you will learn a lot from them.
This is great and I really appreciate your response I was curious about the missing horn. Thank you and I would love to be a part of something great like that. The little man just pulled at my heart strings..

Hello @Kristen99 we got Frances from Petsmart . She is our grumpy beauty queen . We are so very attached to her . She as well has had continuous health issues , Constant visits , special diet , and breathing treatments . We constantly worry for her . We are e happy we could help her but will never ever get another from a pet store .
I agree with all of the posted above. I am a vary impulsive person and needed some talking out of this and everyone has been so informative. I just feel for the poor guys. I would have a zoo if I had the space for sure.
Theses are all my loves I have as of now.

Attachments

• IMG_4838.JPG
    IMG_4838.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4840.JPG
    IMG_4840.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5100.JPG
    IMG_5100.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4628.JPG
    IMG_4628.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4982.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5086.JPG
    IMG_5086.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 54
I agree with all of the posted above. I am a vary impulsive person and needed some talking out of this and everyone has been so informative. I just feel for the poor guys. I would have a zoo if I had the space for sure.
Theses are all my loves I have as of now.
I hear you :love: . One day we will build a green house and have all different species . I would do all I have done for Frances a billion times over . I had not been in a Petco or Petsmart for a few years . I had to run into one for an eco rug for one of our beardies . There was a little panther. I wanted to so badly take her . I text @Matt Vanilla Gorilla , Matt completely reasoned with my emotional side LOL . It hurt my heart to leave the baby . Also owning a Petsmart girl I know what I would be into .

Back
Top Bottom