Sanatizing Enclosures

glOckcOma

I heard from a friend that he sanitizes his enclosure every two weeks. He said he takes vinegar or bleach to the cage and hoses off plants and vines in the backyard.

Is this really necessary? I have gone through a lot of threads on this site and have never came across this.

I think it depends.... if you are fighting off parasites... it's a good idea. If the cham is healthy, it might not be needed as frequently. But clean cages keep chams happy and healthy. I think a good cleaning of the cage is good every couple of months if you aren't having parasite issues.

I wouldnt say its necessary, unless theres a parasite problem like prev stated. :cool:
I heard from a friend that he sanitizes his enclosure every two weeks. He said he takes vinegar or bleach to the cage and hoses off plants and vines in the backyard.

Is this really necessary? I have gone through a lot of threads on this site and have never came across this.

I spot clean poo when I see it, take everything out and clean it once a week (just chuck it all in the shower and rinse it all with really hot water) and clean his food bowl at every feeding, with a veterinary reptile disinfectant. Also clean the inside of the tank with this once a month or so because my tank is glass and gets crap on the inside from water spraying and such

Besides what's already been mentioned, I'll occasionally use a portable steam cleaner on the cage. It's especially useful on things like jungle vines. It's just an extra thing to keep in the cleaning/sanitizing arsenal.

I take the cage out probably once ever 3 or 4 months and really hose it off well. In fact, I just did that today ;)
I use a 2:1 vinegar to water solution to sanitize anything. Bleach would be fine as long as your rinse it of very well.

Back
Top Bottom