San diego Reptile Super Show !!

Maganda

WOHOOOOO !!!!! 2 more weeks and its off to san diego for reptile super show. I'm really hoping to walk out of there with another male panther cham. I just dont have enough experience to be owning a female yet but one day I will :D . I guess it's true what they say .... You can't have just one .... :D

Anyone else going?

I will have a massive booth there with lots of stuff available. It'll be nice to meet you, as I keep seeing "Las Vegas" in your signature. I'm heading down there Friday morning through Sunday night or Monday morning. I believe Chad is also going down from Vegas (Vega$Chad). Make sure you introduce yourself when you get there, I'll have some cool stuff there to see.

Last edited:
I work a couple blocks from the venue on Saturday, so I'll be there :) Hopefully this will be a good show with lots of cool critters. Tyler, was it you that said you wouldn't do the IRBA shows anymore? Just wondering why...

Last edited:
well, i may be totally off about why he probably doesnt go. I assume that it would be because the shows are small, and dont bring in much biusness, and to take the time, and money to set up a booth and bring all your equipment, ECT. is not worth the rewards or reapings.

but like i said, i could be totally wrong!
im sure he will tell you though =)

-Jake

Hey Jake, that's what I was guessing too but the guy who started IRBA told me he would never have one of their events at the Scottish Rite Center because of how small that venue is compared to the Fair Grounds or the old Community Concourse downtown, hence no July shows here anymore.

well, i may be totally off about why he probably doesnt go. I assume that it would be because the shows are small, and dont bring in much biusness, and to take the time, and money to set up a booth and bring all your equipment, ECT. is not worth the rewards or reapings.
but like i said, i could be totally wrong!
im sure he will tell you though =)
-Jake

That's pretty close. Mainly, I got tired of paying their high entry fees only to be stuck in a corner against a wall that nobody passed by. I would sign up early, which with most promoters gets you a better booth spot, but with IRBA, you apparently need to do every one of their shows, good day or bad, rain or shine, reguardless of what city it was in with a smile on your face (like Amazing Blue Reptiles does). Once you miss one, you become a low priority, and that's exactly how I felt. Besides that, if any of you went to their shows back in '02-03, they were so much better as far as traffic in the door and advertising goes. Last time I did Pomona (sometime in '05) I swore to myself I would never go back. It's just not worth my time to prep for a week beforehand, pack everything, drive there, hotel costs, diesel costs, entry fees etc to barely break even because there was only 1500 people there. I would suck it up and call it good advertising, but I think I could spend the same hours doing anything else and be much more productive.

I'd rather throw my time and efforts into an NARBC show (for their good advertising and numbers in the door), Upscale show (because the promoter treats me good, lower booth costs, good numbers in the door, and he bought all the vendors a nice dinner), or hopefully a new show like this. I drove all the way to Chicago last fall for the NARBC show, and it was worth my time more than the 3 hour drive to Pomona is. It's not easy or cheap to do a show, especially when you need 2-3 booths... Setting up 12-15 cages with lights, plants, animals etc in a few hours Friday afternoon (sometimes by myself) to have to tear it all down again on Sunday is alot of work. I've gotta step back and think realistically about which ones I choose to do, and I'm probably only doing 4-5 shows this year, 3 of which are in September.

The Scottish Rite Center is comparitively small, but I guarantee there will be more people in there than the IRBA has in Pomona. It's all about the advertising, which IRBA simply doesn't do (besides mailing you a list of the shows if you've been to a previous show). This show in 2 weeks has some big name people signed up.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Tyler. It is sad how much the IRBA shows have changed since the old days. I've known those guys 16 years (half my life) and what can I say? Priorities change. I went to the show here in May and it wasn't bad, but if I hadn't walked a couple blocks to avoid the fair's parking fee it would've been a loss for me. There was some cool stuff, but it's getting smaller and smaller :( I was surprised to see the Kammers there since they've been absent at some of the last few. Long story short, I do hope they take the input of some of the vendors no longer doing their shows but I'm not sure that's in the cards.

Anyway, if you need a hand on Friday it would be nice to meet you and get a preview of the event since I can't make it until Saturday afternoon. I live about 2 miles from the Scottish Rite so feel free to pm me.

Lord willing I should be at the show most of the day Sunday. Work is killing me! AWWWW I dont even have much time to read the forum everyday... Still looking foward to it tho! I ~should~ have the days off tho! Time will tell. Ill have my eye out for a set of bevs.

Got the rooms tonight... Going to be at the show just about all day Sun then Sea World after for a lil fun!

Tyler, going to have some of them cages you were telling be about? I need to snag a few while I am at the show...

Anyone get anything good or wanna talk about the half-dead chams my "favorite" reptile vender had for sale?

Well, maybe I shouldn't have started this but here goes. I prefer not to state names but it was one of the big vendors that I'm sure everyone here is familiar with. My first thought was how much I wished I had brought my camera along so I could post a pic here....just like I did when they had 10+ huge gravid dilepis piled on top of each other on the floor of a little cage at the show in Del Mar....

I've had some requests for pictures of the show, but I didn't take many pictures around the show.... Anyone recognize that handsome guy behind the booth?

SanDiegoBooth6-07.JPG

It was a great weekend, crazy busy there. They eventually had to stop letting people in the door because you couldn't get through the aisles. As people left, they'd let a few more get in. There was a line out the door into the parking lot until about 3PM on Saturday, and they were handing out bottled water to people in line to keep them happy! Great show, I had a blast.

Well Julie,

Tyler was in front of the man. He was taking the pic. He's recently had a touch of gas. EASY!

Back
Top Bottom