Salt?

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
Lately I have noticed a white residue built up around the nostrils of my veiled. I remember hearing this is excess salt. Would this be caused by water or by something going on with feeders or environment? Is it something to be overly concerned with.
Thanks for your response

I know you are thinking table salt like sodium chloride but chemically the term salt applies to a long list of chemical compounds. I won't bore you with the chemistry but they are generally a metal and another compound ie. potassium chloride.
There are even salts with a calcium component.
It might be a good idea to make sure you are not getting carried away with your supplements but as mentioned above it may not be a sign of a serious problem.

I have recently changed to Repashy calcium plus Lod which he gets daily but I think it is more likely the water.
He loves dandelions and eats them 4-5 days a week. Thought that may be the cause. Going to try switching things up a bit and see.

I have recently changed to Repashy calcium plus Lod which he gets daily but I think it is more likely the water.
He loves dandelions and eats them 4-5 days a week. Thought that may be the cause. Going to try switching things up a bit and see.
Yeah if you are doing tap water then try RO or distilled. I bet you see this go away. As long as your not making the feeders look like powdered donuts and they are just lightly dusted then your good.

Thanks for the advise. I have had him for about 6 mo now and never seen this until last week.
I did a search on Snalt and that eased my mind a bit. Thanks AmandaS

I use distilled water only and do not coat my feeders and my veiled still has the occassional snalt. Guess its ok.

Back
Top Bottom