Sailfin eggs...very excited...

The Sailfins (C. cristatus) have captivated me since I first laid eyes on them back on May 9th of this year, when I was able to procure 2.2 adults.

Fast forward to today, August 20th (around 100 days later), and I noticed one of the females was on the floor of the enclosure (something I have never seen them do, ever). I placed the female into a laying bin, and she began digging within an hour or so.

After around 3-4 hours, I peaked into the bin and she had just finished laying 17 beautiful eggs, which she was about to start burying. I let her partially bury them and then I removed her.

So, unless they have a 3+ month gestation, they bred under my care. I tried a few strategies and perhaps they worked? Never did witness them locking though. But, either way, I'm really thrilled. Just thrilled. I'm of course assuming the eggs are fertile, but we'll see. They look great.

Here she is covering/burying her eggs...
photo_1.jpg

Here she is afterwards, still looking robust...
photo_5.jpg

A beautiful sight...
photo_2.jpg

Just really, really pleased...very excited...
photo_3.jpg

Great Job!!!! I've always liked Cristatus too. Wonder what the incubation period is? Somebody on here probably knows. Good Luck

bobcochran/Mike Fisher/shaneofall: Thank you very much for the kind words, I appreciate it :)

As I'm sure all three of you have experienced, once in a while a little cham serendipity really makes the month special.

Great!

Incubation is around 9 month's with temps of 70f-75f. Babies are pretty big when born and they come out with some nasty attitudes! Babies are prone to dehydration so lots of misting.

Carl

AACblackout - I agree, they're a very interesting species--I'll keep you posted.

Action Jackson - Thank you!

parpan5 - Thanks James--if they hatch I'll definitely let you know :)

Dez - Thanks for the reading--I had never seen that article. I have had a very different experience with them than Trace has had--I'd love to swap information with him/her. I'm trying to document as much as possible, including pre-gravid coloration vs. gravid, etc. Every little bit helps.

reptoman - Yes, I completely agree, it'd be great to see more cristatus in the hands of hobbyists.

The Sailfins (C. cristatus) have captivated me since I first laid eyes on them back on May 9th of this year, when I was able to procure 2.2 adults.

Fast forward to today, August 20th (around 100 days later), and I noticed one of the females was on the floor of the enclosure (something I have never seen them do, ever). I placed the female into a laying bin, and she began digging within an hour or so.

After around 3-4 hours, I peaked into the bin and she had just finished laying 17 beautiful eggs, which she was about to start burying. I let her partially bury them and then I removed her.

So, unless they have a 3+ month gestation, they bred under my care. I tried a few strategies and perhaps they worked? Never did witness them locking though. But, either way, I'm really thrilled. Just thrilled. I'm of course assuming the eggs are fertile, but we'll see. They look great.

Here she is covering/burying her eggs...
photo_1.jpg

Here she is afterwards, still looking robust...
photo_5.jpg

A beautiful sight...
photo_2.jpg

Just really, really pleased...very excited...
photo_3.jpg

very cool,congrats.

Back
Top Bottom