Sailfin chameleon care?

There are a couple of different species with fins. Which one do you mean?

If it’s the Trioceros cristatus then I have written a caresheet that can be found here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/trace/793-trioceros-cristatus.html

Since almost all T. cristatus are wild caught and I certainly don’t recommend then to a beginner, this article might be of some help: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/trace/776-dealing-wild-caught-chameleon.html

Yea that's the one! What should their dusting schedule be? How much and how often should I feed them?

Yea that's the one! What should their dusting schedule be? How much and how often should I feed them?

You should follow a montane supplement schedule for these guys. Trace's care sheet covers the different feeding schedules and is a good read. Are you currently working with these or researching for the future?

You should follow a montane supplement schedule for these guys. Trace's care sheet covers the different feeding schedules and is a good read. Are you currently working with these or researching for the future?

I'm researching for the future. thanks for the response!

I'm researching for the future. thanks for the response!

I’m glad you are doing the research first. The Trioceros cristatus are great chameleons but they have an abysmal survival rate when they are wild caughts, which sadly most are. If you are bound and determined to get an import make sure he or she is hydrated and healthy looking. Here is a list of things to look for in that regard: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/purchasing/

Really though I’d try and steer you away to another species because of their difficulty. If you like the fins, there are many people currently working with Trioceros quadricornis (4 Horned Chameleon) and they are producing lovely captive bred and born specimens that will fair far better than a wild cristatus. I don’t mean to be a spoil sport; I’d rather you have a positive experience with chameleons than an expensive heartbreaking one.

In regards to feeding, as mentioned in my blog they aren’t gluttons like some species. I fed mine usually every day but not always. I’m one of those, 'if there are bugs left over in the cage when it is feeding time then you aren’t getting fed until tomorrow’ kind of keepers. As for supplements, you can use the regular schedule of calcium daily and calcium with D3 and vitamins once monthly. I don’t use the ‘normal’ supplements that most people use.

I also have a rather esoteric blog about seasonal cycling which touches on food and amounts: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/trace/780-random-musings-seasonal-cycling.html

I’m glad you are doing the research first. The Trioceros cristatus are great chameleons but they have an abysmal survival rate when they are wild caughts, which sadly most are. If you are bound and determined to get an import make sure he or she is hydrated and healthy looking. Here is a list of things to look for in that regard: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/purchasing/

Really though I’d try and steer you away to another species because of their difficulty. If you like the fins, there are many people currently working with Trioceros quadricornis (4 Horned Chameleon) and they are producing lovely captive bred and born specimens that will fair far better than a wild cristatus. I don’t mean to be a spoil sport; I’d rather you have a positive experience with chameleons than an expensive heartbreaking one.

In regards to feeding, as mentioned in my blog they aren’t gluttons like some species. I fed mine usually every day but not always. I’m one of those, 'if there are bugs left over in the cage when it is feeding time then you aren’t getting fed until tomorrow’ kind of keepers. As for supplements, you can use the regular schedule of calcium daily and calcium with D3 and vitamins once monthly. I don’t use the ‘normal’ supplements that most people use.

I also have a rather esoteric blog about seasonal cycling which touches on food and amounts: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/trace/780-random-musings-seasonal-cycling.html

Quite true. I've always had an affinity for the cristatus complex and this last shipment decided to try to give the cristatus themselves a go and purchased a pair. They were much worse off than the quads and montium combined. Of the first pair the male died in transit and the girl was on death's doorstep. The male got replaced and I was offered the last female as an add on at a reasonable price which I accepted to hopefully end up with at least a pair in the end, a trio if things went well. They both arrived similar to the first female and with much effort the male only lived a few months. Both females continued to fight and have regained condition and are doing well considering, just in need of a healthy male or two. They are another very underestimated species. Was hoping to hear that someone out there had some success with these (and montiums) from this last import, but reports have been almost nonexistent.:(

After I'm done with my studies where can I go and pick up one of beautiful chameleons?

After I'm done with my studies where can I go and pick up one of beautiful chameleons?

I was wondering why you were asking about the cristatus seemingly out of the blue. Usually when these guys come in (or any other odd species), there is a rash of threads on the forums from people who bought them cheap at a show and now need help about how to care for them and why is it sick etc. I haven’t seen any Trioceros cristatus in a very long time. I’m not up on who is who in the import game, particularly stateside where you are located. Perhaps someone can give a heads up if Cameroon has or is scheduled to arrive this year? Like GCash said, it has been a while since we saw any for sale. There were a handful of eggs and some babies from gravid females in the last shipment but I’m not sure if they survived. Aside from those at the beginning of the year, the last time I saw cristatus in any abundant numbers was 2013.

I can’t remember the details but wasn’t the last shipment of Cameroon animals not actually from Cameroon? I’m also not seeing them on the 2015 CITES export quotas. You might be waiting for a while.

I was wondering why you were asking about the cristatus seemingly out of the blue. Usually when these guys come in (or any other odd species), there is a rash of threads on the forums from people who bought them cheap at a show and now need help about how to care for them and why is it sick etc. I haven’t seen any Trioceros cristatus in a very long time. I’m not up on who is who in the import game, particularly stateside where you are located. Perhaps someone can give a heads up if Cameroon has or is scheduled to arrive this year? Like GCash said, it has been a while since we saw any for sale. There were a handful of eggs and some babies from gravid females in the last shipment but I’m not sure if they survived. Aside from those at the beginning of the year, the last time I saw cristatus in any abundant numbers was 2013.

I can’t remember the details but wasn’t the last shipment of Cameroon animals not actually from Cameroon? I’m also not seeing them on the 2015 CITES export quotas. You might be waiting for a while.

In the mean time I guess I better prepare for the wait haha

Equatorial Guinea. There may be another shipment at the end of this year/first of next, but who knows? Dan, If you do have the chance to acquire these, plan on getting a pair and breeding them to support the captive gene pool. Please don't get a single one and destine it for a genetic dead end. They are precious. Trace, thanks for sharing your experiences in your care sheet. Very well done.

not the same due D:

I think it’s a valid response. Sure it isn’t the same species, but both Laurie and I suggested the quadricornis to DirtyDan because of the current unavailability of cristatus in the US. It may be another 6 months (?) before we see them and maybe they don’t want to wait that long. The quadricornis have the fins and similar care to the cristatus. On top of that the quads will be captive bred and well started. It’s up to the OP what they want to do.

DirtyDan: I also applaud you doing research before getting a new chameleon! It will make your experience so much better. I’ll also echo that if you wait to get the cristatus definitely get a pair and try to breed them. We are here to help you with that.

GCash: Thank you for the complements on my blog(s). I certainly want to make some improvements and write some more caresheets on the odd species I worked with but site business has been eating up my time lately.

I think it’s a valid response. Sure it isn’t the same species, but both Laurie and I suggested the quadricornis to DirtyDan because of the current unavailability of cristatus in the US. It may be another 6 months (?) before we see them and maybe they don’t want to wait that long. The quadricornis have the fins and similar care to the cristatus. On top of that the quads will be captive bred and well started. It’s up to the OP what they want to do.

DirtyDan: I also applaud you doing research before getting a new chameleon! It will make your experience so much better. I’ll also echo that if you wait to get the cristatus definitely get a pair and try to breed them. We are here to help you with that.

GCash: Thank you for the complements on my blog(s). I certainly want to make some improvements and write some more caresheets on the odd species I worked with but site business has been eating up my time lately.

it is but waiting only do you good, make you sure that you really want that species and don´t go "velied" it in 6 months from the purchasing :)

one should go for what one really wants and no be rushing it in to it, meanwhile he is doing the wright thing and read about them :)

it is but waiting only do you good, make you sure that you really want that species and don´t go "velied" it in 6 months from the purchasing :)

one should go for what one really wants and no be rushing it in to it, meanwhile he is doing the wright thing and read about them :)

You may be waiting a long, long time for another import of Cameroon chameleons. I believe the cristatus had a very high mortality rate, higher than the quads.

Back
Top Bottom