Safe wood sealant and paint

Owlco

Hi everyone,

I am almost finished building my chameleons cage and will need to seal the wood or paint it with a product that is safe for my chameleon.
I have tried to do some research but am finding it difficult to gather some information on the right products. I have heard that the Winmax polycrylic sealant has been used, though at the hardware store the Windmax has the toxic symbol on it and I am hesitant to use it.

If someone could give me some recommendations that would be awesome.

Thank you !

Hi everyone,

I am almost finished building my chameleons cage and will need to seal the wood or paint it with a product that is safe for my chameleon.
I have tried to do some research but am finding it difficult to gather some information on the right products. I have heard that the Winmax polycrylic sealant has been used, though at the hardware store the Windmax has the toxic symbol on it and I am hesitant to use it.

If someone could give me some recommendations that would be awesome.

Thank you !
@Brodybreaux25 has just done a stunner, so I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

FlexSeal or drylok. FlexSeal is expensive but it creates a surface your Cham can grip without hurting his nails.

My most recent build:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/bioactive-mentor.167174/

4F9F4F5E-CFF4-4324-B65E-B56B5634587B.png
2DEB3684-D63E-4549-B7D2-0D08C8F22323.png

I’m not 100% sure how well it would stick to the smooth outer surface of spray foam but I would put my money on it working. 80% sure. Now if you sand and shape your foam after it cures I know for sure it would grab onto that.

If someone orders a viv or background from me using foam my go to topcoat is definitely the spray stone texture. Looks great, lasts a long time, and can’t be bought off a shelf somewhere.
B6F92951-A08C-49D4-AF42-684538CDEFC1.png

Wow thanks so much for the recommendations, I'll check to see if these products are sold near me or if I can get them off amazon.ca. Do yo find that the flex seal scratches off or?
I’ve used it in several builds over the last few builds, can’t think of a time it’s ever been scratched off. Surface prep is key.

I have also heard of people using Grout for rock walls, @Brodybreaux25 have you tried this method?
I’ve never done it in a viv but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Just make sure aren’t any sharp edges. I think the biggest thing to watch out for would be the grout being a little rough on his feet, belly, and tail since they are not really designed to be walking around on those. I’d also recommend potting in a lot of branches around the grout so he can easily navigate around it if need be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom