Safe water

Hi

Long time no post (I'll go over the details in another post) but I use Deionised Water for my green buddies. Big 25ltr "bottles" tied into my mister system. I have never managed to get Distilled Water here in the UK unless it has been in bulk (500ltrs +) and my housing floor wouldn't take the weight of such a huge container and the missus would freak. I hope I have been giving my Chams good water? I was always under the impression that UK tap water with all it's add on.s such as fluoride and so forth was somewhat poisonous to Chameleons and so used to get loads of Reptisafe until I hit on the deionised water but apparently it's OK - so hopefully someone can let me know what the score is regarding water as I am confused.com nowadays.
Deionized water is similar to distilled, it is just even MORE pure(meaning no dissolved minerals/other). With good nutrition and supplements, this should be no issue for chameleons. I'd say you're fine.

There are different types of distilled and deionized water.
Please read the entire article at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purified_water

Distilled water is produced by a process of distillation.[1] Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the vapor into a clean container, leaving solid contaminants behind. Distillation produces very pure water. A white or yellowish mineral scale is left in the distillation apparatus, which requires regular cleaning. Distilled water, like all purified water, must be stored in a sterilized container to guarantee the absence of bacteria. For many procedures, more economical alternatives are available, such as deionized water, and are used in place of distilled water.

However, deionization does not significantly remove uncharged organic molecules, viruses, or bacteria, except by incidental trapping in the resin. Specially made strong base anion resins can remove Gram-negative bacteria.
Three types of deionization exist: co-current, counter-current, and mixed bed.

All three (distilled, RO, deionized) have pluses/minuses/pros/cons—many probably not worth mentioning in the context of misting or chameleon drinking water. Deionized is the only form I've found claiming potential detrimental health issues. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purified_water#Health_effects_of_drinking_purified_water

For most of us, I think it likely will come down to what's readily available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom