Safe silicone

Mrs.Rocky

I’ve read post before that said GE silicone 2 is safe for their enclosures. Does this still remain true?

Attachments

• E1F95B9C-C397-4679-8F86-5CAAAD10F84C.png
    E1F95B9C-C397-4679-8F86-5CAAAD10F84C.png
    576.9 KB · Views: 551
Any 100% silicone is safe. Its the acrylic or semi acrylic that is iffy. Or the $$$ electrical grade stuff %100 silicone that out gasses alcohol instead of smelling like vinegar.

So, the "aquarium type" silicone that smells like vinegar is not recommended?

Attachments

• 20190922_163033.jpg
    20190922_163033.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 290
GE2 Is not really recommended most the of the time, due to the mold inhibitors, are dangerous chemicals.

However we live in an age where people swear by PVC for making cages even though its poison, so it likely will be okay.

I have seen people use GEII on reptile Vivs, and seemingly had no issues. It will kill a fish tank in a couple of weeks, it is poison the question is if the animal will be exposed enough, if its not soaking on it allowing it to leach its probably maybe sort of fine? If you haven't bought yet, get 1 though.

There is stupid politics and beuracy involved here sadly. 98% pure, means you can advertise 100%, I know its not 100%, and you know that, but the Government allows them to pull that crap anyway. So here is what is in them actually.

GE Silicon 1
2020-01-31 19_48_00-CPID.png

GE silicon 2
2020-01-31 19_48_12-CPID.png

I'm not sure why the 2 is dangerous, or what chemical causes the issue, but it is known to kill fish and coral.

I am assuming its either Hexamethyldisilazane, or Dimethicone that causes the issues with Fish and Corals, and those may not cause issues to Reptiles IDK.

Last edited:
GE2 Is not really recommended most the of the time, due to the mold inhibitors, are dangerous chemicals.

However we live in an age where people swear by PVC for making cages even though its poison, so it likely will be okay.

I have seen people use GEII on reptile Vivs, and seemingly had no issues. It will kill a fish tank in a couple of weeks, it is poison the question is if the animal will be exposed enough, if its not soaking on it allowing it to leach its probably maybe sort of fine? If you haven't bought yet, get 1 though.
I hope it’s fine. I used the GE ll already :confused:

Thank you. I saw a lot of GEll and thought it was fine. I will definitely monitor my Cham ones it’s used. Any concerns I should look for?

Thank you. I saw a lot of GEll and thought it was fine. I will definitely monitor my Cham ones it’s used. Any concerns I should look for?

I'm really not sure.

Maybe drozziness and a lack of appetite. I really don't know what chemical causes the issue, or what issue it causes or how that effect would play off in reptiles.

The fish guys, claim the fish just die. However I don't think fish really show symptoms of much things, they just kind of die lol.

Their exposure rate, is much higher than your Chams will be. Also in a different manner. So again it may not cause any issues, I would have to see if I can find someone having I'll effects of GE II on Herps, to let you know more.

I'm really not sure.

Maybe drozziness and a lack of appetite. I really don't know what chemical causes the issue, or what issue it causes or how that effect would play off in reptiles.

The fish guys, claim the fish just die. However I don't think fish really show symptoms of much things, they just kind of die lol.

Their exposure rate, is much higher than your Chams will be. Also in a different manner. So again it may not cause any issues, I would have to see if I can find someone having I'll effects of GE II on Herps, to let you know more.
Do you think if I create a bio active enclosure it’ll be effected from
Silicon

I used this.
Vinegar smell.
What did you use?
I actually used today the GEl silicone 100% silicone and it was terrible smell. I had to put fan on and all. So I’m glad I didn’t use it for my background. Because GEll is 100% silicone and had no order.

What did you use?
I actually used today the GEl silicone 100% silicone and it was terrible smell. I had to put fan on and all. So I’m glad I didn’t use it for my background. Because GEll is 100% silicone and had no order.
I used the vinegar smelling "aquarium type" clear silicone. The kind that's been around for decades.
The smell disappears once it dries/cures.
It's a fantastic, flexible, waterproof product.
All of my enclosures have the bottom seams sealed up with it. So that they drain through the center (where the drain is) and not around the sides and corners.

There are only 2 100% silicones in the world. The vinegar stuff, and the non caustic stuff. With air cure, it really doesnt matter what you use as long as you have a bit of air flow. You will either have a little vinegar smell if its slow dry, or a lot of vinegar if its fast dry, but in either case the same amount of vinegar will go into the air. Once its cured, its food safe, fish, chams, etc. It doesnt matter which 100% silicone you get from the hardware store, GE I, GE II, Bills fantastic silicone, White or clear.

Now if you get the non caustic stuff, thats the bad stuff. It cures by releasing alcohol instead of the vinegar smell. Its meant for car parts and electronics etc. Just like the above, once its cured its food safe. But as its curing it is toxic to fish/birds/reptiles etc. If you seal your fishtank with it, your fish are now swimming in 3/2 beer and will die.

Once its cured, its food safe, fish, chams, etc. It doesnt matter which 100% silicone you get from the hardware store, GE I, GE II, Bills fantastic silicone, White or clear.

No such thing as 100% silicon in reality. And some of the GEII has mold inhibitors that can kill fish. Nor does GEII have the vinegar smell, it has ammonia smell as it uses different curing agent.

No such thing as 100% silicon in reality. And some of the GEII has mold inhibitors that can kill fish. Nor does GEII have the vinegar smell, it has ammonia smell as it uses different curing agent.

True. I really only classify them into the two types of curing agents, but yea you can sub divide the vinigar/ammonia etc, just like you can sub decide the alcohol stuff.

Do you have any info on GE II +biocide killing fish? I thought that was still a internet legend, and the real reason is they dont let it cure, and it releases the ammonia you describe. GE I and II are not meant for aquariums/potable water, but i think thats just GE covering their butts.

https://discourse.brandywinereef.club/t/fish-safe-silicone/2677/2

Last edited:
True. I really only classify them into the two types of curing agents, but yea you can sub divide the vinigar/ammonia etc, just like you can sub decide the alcohol stuff.

Do you have any info on GE II +biocide killing fish? I thought that was still a internet legend, and the real reason is they dont let it cure, and it releases the ammonia you describe. GE I and II are not meant for aquariums/potable water, but i think thats just GE covering their butts.

https://discourse.brandywinereef.club/t/fish-safe-silicone/2677/2

Just forum posters stating it did, could be legend, could be the specific type of GE II used, they do differ chemically.

Back
Top Bottom