Safe silicone

Hi there, i used 100% silicone on my new enclosure...its ready about a 2.5 weaks but it smells like vinegar,so i cant tranfer my veiled to his new home...any idea?silicone is behind the foam...

Attachments

• IMG_20201128_150151.jpg
    IMG_20201128_150151.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20201128_150116.jpg
    IMG_20201128_150116.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20201128_150106.jpg
    IMG_20201128_150106.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 65
What did you use?
I actually used today the GEl silicone 100% silicone and it was terrible smell. I had to put fan on and all. So I’m glad I didn’t use it for my background. Because GEll is 100% silicone and had no order.

This may sound counterintuitive, but the smelly stuff (GE I) is the one to use.

It takes however long it takes to off-gas. If trapped (e.g. between foam and a back wall) it's going to take longer. The more surface area exposed, the sooner it will fully cure and off-gas.

The problem with the non-smelly type is that you can't tell if it's done off-gassing or not because the smell isn't there to tell you, yet it may still be off-gassing.

If its still stinky, its still not cured completely. That also means its not 100% strength, and could peel off or rip if you flex it too much or remove the clamps. Its not an adhesive, its a gap filler.

It appears (from your description above) that you may have applied the foam before the silicone fully cured, and now the silicone is trapped between the wood & foam. The foam is an insulator, so it's designed to prevent air-flow (i.e. curing).

I don't know enough chemistry to know if there could have been a reaction between the uncured silicone and the foam, and part of what you're smelling could be formaldehyde from the foam.

If it were me, I would tear the foam out to allow the silicone to fully cure before re-applying the foam.
If the underlying silicone is still sticky, I would also remove as much of that as possible, allow any residue to cure, and start over.

If anyone has a better solution, or knows the chemistry for sure, please input.

And what should i do? Its 2.5 weaks outside and still smells...i should let it "dry" for 2 months?

Normally its 30 day for "full cure". getting more air, and higher temperature, will increase the curing speed. But its outside so you really dont need more air.

Back
Top Bottom