Safe plants

kim

Hi everyone,

Im new to this so if I'm in the wrong place forgive me.

Trying to find safe plants to go in my sons chameleon home. Have read that the ficus type can irritate their eyes and skin but apparently Hibiscus are good for them.

Any other suggestions.:confused:

Hibiscus are good but are hard to keep indoors. I personally like the dwarf umbrella plant/schefflerra. They seem to do well inside and no worries about the eye irritants that ficus sometimes excrete. I personally never had a problem using ficus. But good luck finding one this year i havent seen any large ones at all. Other good safe plants are: star of jasmine, corn plants, pothos ivy.

I'm not sure if Jasmine is a safe plant or not. I like the pothos. It holds the water for a long time and helps to keep up the humidity.

I'm not sure if Jasmine is a safe plant or not. I like the pothos. It holds the water for a long time and helps to keep up the humidity.

I had Jasmin in Jaspers for a long time until the plant died because I could not keep the humidity up for the plant. It is safe its on the FLCHAMS list. Its just super super hard plant to keep...

Fake Option

We use fake ficus and fake vines in our enclosures. Easier to clean we found. And also no worries about what may or may not be safe. You can buy these potted or just the branches. Pretty inexpensive at your local craft store. We paid about 15.00 for a four foot ficus. Also you don't have to worry about the chameleon eating dirt when eating crickets. LOL

We use fake ficus and fake vines in our enclosures. Easier to clean we found. And also no worries about what may or may not be safe. You can buy these potted or just the branches. Pretty inexpensive at your local craft store. We paid about 15.00 for a four foot ficus. Also you don't have to worry about the chameleon eating dirt when eating crickets. LOL

Do you worry about what is best for your chameleon? In Texas there the safe plants are readily available and much better for your animals.

I am a firm beleiver in Schefflera-it is sturdy, and grows well in most light conditions. The leaves are also cupped and hold water.

Last edited:
Response

Do you worry about what is best for your chameleon? In Texas there the safe plants are readily available and much better for your animals.

I am a firm beleiver in Schefflera-it is sturdy, and grows well in most light conditions. The leaves are also cupped and hold water.

We have been breeding for several years and this works best for our beautiful chameleons. Never had any complaints. Take a look at our avatar for how good they look. We currently have over 50 and have sold over 50 in the last 3 months to major pet corporations. Their are many mixed reviews, even on the safe plant list so we use what we feel is the safest. And our chameleons get their nutritional requirements from our properly gut loaded crickets. By all means use what you feel best, but I feel that our chameleons look much better than yours. After all this is a sight for informative purposes only. Use the info you like and throw out what you decide not to use.
Thanks

We have been breeding for several years and this works best for our beautiful chameleons. Never had any complaints. Take a look at our avatar for how good they look. We currently have over 50 and have sold over 50 in the last 3 months to major pet corporations. Their are many mixed reviews, even on the safe plant list so we use what we feel is the safest. And our chameleons get their nutritional requirements from our properly gut loaded crickets. By all means use what you feel best, but I feel that our chameleons look much better than yours. After all this is a sight for informative purposes only. Use the info you like and throw out what you decide not to use.
Thanks

A little rude dont you think?:rolleyes:

Quite the attitude for somone that is "new". Sounds like you are in it for the money-and not for the health and safety of the animals. How sad.

hahahaha

you are funny. Just because we have fake plants in our enclosure we don't care about the well-being of our chameleons!!!haha That is a joke. All those plants are considered safe but they do not have nutritional value and is just a filler. Obviously you don't know all that much about chameleons. I have veggie clips and I give them kale, mustard greaans collard greens, etc.. They are much better for your chameleon. maybe you can read and comprehend. All the rudeness was started before i ever posted anything in return. i am sory if you don't agree with my opinion but that is exactly what it is.. AN OPINION! Same as yours.. Thanks for the info..

All those fake plants in the wild...ahhhh yes. Chameleons are not known to eat lots of plant life in the wild-some will-and it is speculated/studied that they do this when there is a lack of water. Some people feed greens, fruits, I don't have a single cham that will touch them. The plants are for humidity, a more natural look and feel, generally not food.

It is odd to see someone dissing Julirs considering she is a huge contributer to this forum. She has helped many of the members of this site with problems, big and small. You do not have to agree with her, but the care and quality of her chameleons is obvious. Also, just putting it out there, if you claim to have better looking chameleons then her, you have some pretty big shoes to fill. :rolleyes:

Well note the ?new? member status for the rude poster...it now says *banned* as it should, there's no room here or anywhere else for people that just want to attack others, especially new people that decide they know everything...breeders or otherwise. Cheers to the moderators for taking out the trash.

We use Ficus, Pothos, and Schefflera plus I have baby collard greens is some of the Veiled cages they love to eat them and it is their favorite vegetable so I just planted small plants for them to eat and it holds water, I change them when necessary.

Back
Top Bottom