Safe around chams

Malepanther123

Hi,
Had a question with a product called flex seal. Is this safe to use around chams. Have a few leaks with drainage.
Just didn't want to end up making them sick or even death if it's toxic. Heard it really works well.

Hi,
Had a question with a product called flex seal. Is this safe to use around chams. Have a few leaks with drainage.
Just didn't want to end up making them sick or even death if it's toxic. Heard it really works well.
Hi. I use Flex Seal and have used it’s cheaper cousin, Plasti Dip and both are safe. You do need to provide a gassing off time though. I’m not entirely sure of how long is required as I just have let my enclosures sit for at least a couple of weeks before using.

Hi,
Flex Seal is safe when fully cured. IME (used it to seal & waterproof a tortoise table), for reptile purposes, this will take longer than the times indicated on the label.

If you can smell it, it's not fully cured. IIRC, FS can be painted over, but still has to cure fully before painting or it will just seal in the VOCs, which may cause problems later, both with VOC fumes and pealing.

An alternative is clear silicone caulk (GE #1), which also needs to fully cure before exposing to reptiles, but when fully cured it's safe as well.

Where are the leaks?

Flex Seal is safe when fully cured. IME (used it to seal & waterproof a tortoise table), for reptile purposes, this will take longer than the times indicated on the label.

If you can smell it, it's not fully cured. IIRC, FS can be painted over, but still has to cure fully before painting or it will just seal in the VOCs, which may cause problems later, both with VOC fumes and pealing.

An alternative is clear silicone caulk (GE #1), which also needs to fully cure before exposing to reptiles, but when fully cured it's safe as well.

Where are the leaks?
I have a drip system one in photo. Base leaks an fills bottom of enclosure. Seems be a crack in bottom base.

Attachments

• 20220226_194857.jpg
    20220226_194857.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 47
I have a drip system one in photo. Base leaks an fills bottom of enclosure. Seems be a crack in bottom base.
For that, I think I would use silicone caulk; it's about half the price of a can of FS spray, and IMO will work better for this application. If you find the crack/leak, you can put a surgical glove or baggie over one hand (not that it's toxic—it's just messy and sticky) and work/smooth it into the cracks.

Back
Top Bottom