Sad news today...

Shrilly

I will tell you a sad short story about a crappy animal clinic called ALL PETS CLINIC I bought a 100 dollar chameleon she was a lively little creature that was curious about many things mostly about her new cage i built her and her name was esme. She hasnt eaten in a couple days so my girlfriend Victoria takes her to ALL PETS CLINIC to have her checked up she checks out fine and with a clean bill of health before introducing her body to a substance called MINERAL OIL which has had to be what brought esmes little joyous life to an end. Once i confirmed she had passed to a better place i went to ALL PETS CLINIC to try and get some answers what i found was unprofesionalism and confusion. first a lady takes me in the back room against my better judgement of leaving her at peace i wanted to know how she died so after getting lectured that no one should be blamed (yeah right) i gave the go ahead and find that out she leaves 15 minutes pass and i had enough waiting i took my poor esme and left that clinic the most UNSATISFIED I HAVE EVER BEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE 55$ was spent on that checkup and it killed her good job ALL PETS CLINIC!

The finances doesnt even come close to the emotional heartache me and Victoria feel over losing esme... She was such a lovely creature that brought us to this lovely community so in a way she was a bridge to many social enlightenments in my life not only that she taught me i could use my hands and build something that could better another life thank you Esme... we will forever miss you.
:(

Esme1.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

why would they introduce her to mineral oil? likely she injested it into her lungs... id be furious with them

Me too id say, actually i am blaming it on you because your clinic is the one that killed her. Then when they started to fight against what i was saying, i would say im pretty shure that she was fine other than not eating until you gave that stupid oil.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

They probley thought she was impacted (blocked) and thought mineral oil would help her have a bowel movement. When you take a chameleon to a vet make sure you ask if the vet on staff is experienced with chameleons in particular, after a few calls you will realize a lot of exotic vets are not.

Again sorry for your loss :(

I am very very very sorry for your loss :( if it was me and I tooj my cham to the vet and they gave her something that killed her I would be furious, if it were a guy vet that did it id go into his office, beat a lot of sense into him then see how he likes the mineral oil getting shot into his lungs but that's jmo on how to deal with it. What was the reason for the vet using the mineral oil?

You should threaten them with small claims court...see their reactions. Maybe even possibly go through with sueing them.

Thats actually a good idea either make them give your money back for the cham and the vet bills or sue them!!!!! I would be pissed espetially if it is your first. That is horrible sorry for your loss. Some pet stores and vets just dont think or they are wrong.

Thats actually a good idea either make them give your money back for the cham and the vet bills or sue them!!!!! I would be pissed espetially if it is your first. That is horrible sorry for your loss. Some pet stores and vets just dont think or they are wrong.

thank you all for understanding Esme realy was a bridge for new social experiences she was a realy great chameleon with a lovely personality

dood!! im sorry to hear about ez..i hope they will compensate you for there mistake on an exotic animal...

I do not quite understand how or why they administered mineral oil. I have read of mineral oil being used to lubricate intestines (has anyone else heard this before?). I have heard of using mineral oil for helping with shedding as well (has anyone heard of this?) I am sorry for your loss, I would suggest demanding your money for the price of the Chameleon and even that is not enough but at least you can get yourself a new "little girl".

kire

Dude im sorry to hear about that. It really is unfortunate that so called professionals would act like that in my opinion its completely uncalled for and immoral to act like a life no matter how small could possibly be so unimportant. Sorry for the rant but in- considerate people really piss me off.

I do not quite understand how or why they administered mineral oil. I have read of mineral oil being used to lubricate intestines (has anyone else heard this before?). I have heard of using mineral oil for helping with shedding as well (has anyone heard of this?) I am sorry for your loss, I would suggest demanding your money for the price of the Chameleon and even that is not enough but at least you can get yourself a new "little girl".

kire

Forget trying to get the price of the chameleon or the vet visit back. It's a waste of time. The cost of the chameleon or the vet visit doesn't matter! I'd expect a $5 anole to be valued just as much as a $2000 Parson's chameleon.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see anything in the OP's original post describing anything suggesting that the cham needed mineral oil. Why didn't the person who took the cham to the vet question the treatment? I don't permit a vet to do ANYTHING to my animal until I understand what is needed, what the options are, or what could happen afterwards. You've got to be an advocate for your pets even at a vet visit.

We don't even know why the cham went to a vet in the first place. Not eating for a day or so? So what? If a vet tells me my animal is fine then wants to give it treatment I would be all over that asking why.

Next, I would send the vet practice a formal letter requesting a diagnosis of the problem they were attempting to treat, the justification for it, and the basis for the particular vet's opinion and their education or experience treating reptiles. Ask for a necropsy. Send a copy of your letter to whatever agency reviews and licenses vets in your state (and make sure the vet knows you did this).

Forget trying to get the price of the chameleon or the vet visit back. It's a waste of time. The cost of the chameleon or the vet visit doesn't matter! I'd expect a $5 anole to be valued just as much as a $2000 Parson's chameleon.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see anything in the OP's original post describing anything suggesting that the cham needed mineral oil. Why didn't the person who took the cham to the vet question the treatment? I don't permit a vet to do ANYTHING to my animal until I understand what is needed, what the options are, or what could happen afterwards. You've got to be an advocate for your pets even at a vet visit.

We don't even know why the cham went to a vet in the first place. Not eating for a day or so? So what? If a vet tells me my animal is fine then wants to give it treatment I would be all over that asking why.

Next, I would send the vet practice a formal letter requesting a diagnosis of the problem they were attempting to treat, the justification for it, and the basis for the particular vet's opinion and their education or experience treating reptiles. Ask for a necropsy. Send a copy of your letter to whatever agency reviews and licenses vets in your state (and make sure the vet knows you did this).

they said it helps digest

they said it helps digest

Thankyou that is what I was asking? To be honest, I feel more comfortable asking some of these Senior Members and knowledgable members before a vet. The only vet I know of in my area, Is at PetSmart, and they said she has seen a few, which means she wont see mine. I can read what she reads, the only thing is they can write prescriptions. Until then I am still searching for a reputable veteranarian.

kire

Oh no, that is terrible news! I just commented on yr other thread about how awesome yr enclosure is and now I read that poor Esme is dead! That is just heartbreaking. I will def question any treatment the vet wants to give my cham. I will not take their word for it as I hv heard so many stories about inexperienced reptile vets who don't know what to do when it comes to exotic pets. Sorry man, you guys must be broken.

Back
Top Bottom