S.373 here we go again

naich

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-373

so its back...its not the same as H.R. 669 but its close...heres a very quick summery...take a look at the link.

Amends the federal criminal code to add the constrictor snake of the species Python genera to the list of injurious species that are prohibited from being shipped or imported into the United States.

my opinion... if you breed them... then you should have to buy a permit and renew it yearly. Also you should need to be 18 or older to buy one... and have a parent their with you and sign off on buying the snake.

maybe... its time that we learn... im leaning towards this one.

Wouldn't that include Python regius? Not all pythons get huge..

I'm not sure I can agree with all of it, however I do like your idea about the permits.

The problem with picking only certain genus to be banned is that most US fish and wildlife officers wouldn't have a clue as to what each genus looks like. The department of fish and game know this. So it make more sense to them to just bann them all vs trying to train each officer in snake identification.

As a side note, this current bill also brings an issue that they will no doubtfully block allowed species like boas simply because the inspecting officer just doesn't know any better.

It'd be pretty difficult to prevent people from breeding them without a permit. There's always going to be 16 year olds that somehow end up with them, and breed them. There would surely be babies out there, whether they could be sold legally or not, they'd get sold. Boas and pythons are essentially the same thing as far as a threat. If they ban one, the other will be a piece of cake.

The problem I have with any of it is if you give an inch, they'll surely take a foot. They'll widdle away at the big snakes, then they'll be after what's left of the venomous snakes, then they'll go after the next big threat, in their eyes... At some point, a 4 year old will get salmonilla from putting a baby bearded dragon in his mouth (which is possible), and all the lizards will be threatening to them. I think all regulation should be stood up against. Some of it is going to get passed either way, and this kid getting strangled by the snake a week or two ago was just ammo for them to use. Many many more dogs kill people and infants than snakes obviously, but the dog is too hard of a target for them to get banned. I would bet that more people or kids drown in fishtanks than are killed by captive reptiles each year.

Edit: Not that they think about these things, but every time they ban or block anything like this, it takes jobs out of the economy, and tax revenue out of their hands. All with the hope that it might (just might) save a life at some point (yet the same lefty politicians are all for abortion LOL).

Last edited:
You know the old saying "Laws are meant to be broken". So good luck feds. The permit idea is good considering you hear stories of owners who let their snakes get big and then just release them into the wild to cause problems around the neighborhoods. I just think the feds will never have a chance enforcing it.

All a permit is going to do is give them your address when they decide to go collect all the oversized snakes. They won't collect from the people without a permit, because the snakes aren't registered with a permit. So at the end of the day, the responsible, law abiding people that get permits are the ones that get hosed first. It's like registering a gun. Really the only reason the govt requires a pistol to be registered is so that they know where they are. Why would they ever need to know where they are? The law abiding citizens with registered guns will be the first ones to lose them if they become banned. The gangsters with stolen or illegal guns won't be checked because none of theirs are registered. I'm about to start burying mine in the backyard.

Back
Top Bottom