runny nose?

tv321406

so i have a newly acquired baby veiled, male. i keep seeing him with white stuff in his nostrils, and sometimes under them. it looks kind of hard. he doesnt seem to have a problem getting rid of it or breathing, i was just wondering if this is something to be concerned about?

Tell us about the supplements that you are giving him and how much of each. This sounds as tho it could be from over supplementing. Jann

i use miner-all. i havent really developed a set schedule yet, i only got him on sunday. i have used it on 3/4 of the crickets i feed him at a time on average

minerall by sticky tongue? one with d3 and calcium + vitamins ?

that might be a bit more then he needs.

they have a few differnt kinds. the gutloader is in a *my mistake, blue bottle* tube/bottle

Last edited:
MinerAll 0:

Calcium w/o D3

MinerAll I:
AAAAAlycImMAAAAAACjctQ.jpg

Calcium with D3

VitAll:

Cricket Gutload

In that case, you should ease up on your schedule.
That is a lot of D3 you are giving to your cham.

White stuff over the nostrals

I'm having the same problem! The nostrals are covered in white stuff. I noticed it today when I was feeding him. I feed him using Rep-Cal Calcium with D3 and Rep-Cal Herptivite. I have been altering these supplements every other day, but using a supplement every day. The only difference is that Rodney's mouth is open sometimes, and I know it's not too hot. How can I get him over this?

dalmeltracy...I only dust with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder twice a month lightly. I also only dust with the vitamin powder twice a month. I dust with a phos.-free calcium powder at most feedings. IMHO you are overdoing it with the D3 and the vitamins.

tv321406...having only had the chameleon for a few days, the supplementation you have done shouldn't be the cause of the snalt. However, I do agree with dodolah about cutting back on the minerall I. I use the supplements as described above.

Kinyonga,
So you're saying I should dust the crickets with a phos. calcium supplement without D3 on most feedings, dust with phos. free calcium D3 twice a month and the multi-vitamin twice a month correct?

Also, do you think the "white stuff" in his nostels and him opening his mouth is from an overdose on vitamins or a respiratory infection?

If it's a respiratory infection, what do I need to do?

Dalmeltracy said..."So you're saying I should dust the crickets with a phos. calcium supplement without D3 on most feedings, dust with phos. free calcium D3 twice a month and the multi-vitamin twice a month correct?"....this is what I do for veileds and panthers and quite a few other species.

You said..."Also, do you think the "white stuff" in his nostels and him opening his mouth is from an overdose on vitamins or a respiratory infection?"...I think the white stuff likely is from that. Extra hydration might help the snalt problem too. As for the mouth being open...a respiratory infection would likely make the chameleon keep its mouth open most of the time and there should be mucus involved. I think that oversupplementing for a quite while would damage the organs and make it open its mouth too. Overheating also makes a chameleon open its mouth. If you know its not being caused from overheating then you need to look at what else might cause it. I'm not a vet....so I can only give you ideas of what to check and what it might be...if its not easily/quickly solved then I would take it to a vet.

You said..."If it's a respiratory infection, what do I need to do?"...I would take it to a vet if its a respiratory infection...and keep it at the higher end of the temperture and make sure there are no drafts hitting the cage.

Last edited:
i tried giving him less supplements... about once every three feedings (daily feedings) and its still there every once in a while. he doesnt seem to mind it, nor does it stay there for long(he might lick it off or it might fall off or something). i dont know what the deal is. i hope its nbd

I had this happen today also but I only dust with d3 twice a month. But I dust without d3 everyday because they don’t always want to eat their food should I stop dusting without d3 everyday?

Back
Top Bottom