Ruminating on •edible?• local insects

Christel

During my little walkabout, I noticed more butterflies are out, and so are the ticks. Of course, now that I am owned by a Cham (veiled), the first thing I thought when I picked the tick off, was - I wonder if she can eat this?
It gets me to wondering, what other indigenous bugs could be harvested for v. cham feedings? I do already know now of the grasshoppers, not the bad ones, of course... and harlequin beetles, and moths and butterflies, but what else that I might stumble across would be considered edible?
Cuz, who knows, perhaps one day, a few years down the road, I might take her with me, on the walk to the "wild side".. ? IMG_20200202_131654.jpg

As soon as the weather warms up enough in my area, I plan to put out a hormone baited stinkbug trap. I really wish I had a good handle on culturing moths and/or butterflies, but that will have to wait until I have more info.

I tried wax moths, and it just was a "Meh" experience. Not the kind of numbers/success I was looking for, even following the best instructions/suggestions I could find online. And silks? Well that's it's own topic of frustration for me. I know some are very, very successful with them, but I am not.

Stinkbugs ravage my zucchini every year, now that I have chams revenge will be mine!
However, are you sure that they are stink bugs?

"Squash bugs are often mistaken for stink bugs, as they are similar in appearance and both have a foul odor when squashed. However, stink bugs are wider and rounder than squash bugs."
1583813900684.png

Old Farmer's Almanac › pest › s...

I also would be very careful feeding WC stink bugs, at least immediately. As they are known as mostly tomato eaters, which would make them toxic, after eating Tomatos for a time.

I also would be very careful feeding WC stink bugs, at least immediately. As they are known as mostly tomato eaters, which would make them toxic, after eating Tomatos for a time.
I have never seen them on my tomatoes, but I’ll definitely keep that in mind! They literally eat my zucchini plants in half at the base for the past three or four years straight! I usually get one or two decent harvests before the damage is done.

I have never seen them on my tomatoes, but I’ll definitely keep that in mind! They literally eat my zucchini plants in half at the base for the past three or four years straight! I usually get one or two decent harvests before the damage is done.

Those may be the squash ones that Christel was talking about then. They look very very similar, they have the same colorations ect, they are just a tad slimmer, in their shape than the stinks.

The stinks will eat zucchini, but they prefer tomatos. The stinks won't touch most squash family though, and the Squash Bugs won't eat Tomatos.

Hard to tell in that case, as they also look very very similar. Here is a squash bug.

Squashbug-70157.jpg

I would really like some true bugs. As feeders, Chameleons eat lots of true bugs as we seen in the nature diet thread.

These guys are good flyers, and not possible to buy though huh? So breeding is out of the question :(.

not possible to buy though huh? So breeding is out of the question :(.

Since they are a crop pest, all information is geared towards trapping and/or killing them. I honestly don't see why we couldn't breed them in captivity, provided we don't ever release any. I will have to look into the local DNR regulations though to be sure it's not illegal.

Pretty much just have to find out:
1. Do they reproduce quickly enough for the life cycle and in enough quantity to be worth the effort and expense.
2. Is creating a setup for breeding/raising them up to size feasible for a small, indoor setup. <Thinking a screen enclosure DIY>
3. Will they smell indoors either in the raising, breeding process, or when the chams munch on them with more volume and frequency?
4. Would their developmental stages be suitable for and successfully taken by hatchlings?
5. Would there be any danger of toxicity with feeding them in larger numbers, even with a controlled diet?

I mean, not to open a proverbial can of non-chameleon-standard worms here, we know that these aren't from Madagascar, right? So, the natural diet purists out there are going to say that it's just not natural!

It's all part of that same discussion on "How can we provide our captive population with the best dietary options within our means?".

Since they are a crop pest, all information is geared towards trapping and/or killing them. I honestly don't see why we couldn't breed them in captivity, provided we don't ever release any. I will have to look into the local DNR regulations though to be sure it's not illegal.

Pretty much just have to find out:
1. Do they reproduce quickly enough for the life cycle and in enough quantity to be worth the effort and expense.
2. Is creating a setup for breeding/raising them up to size feasible for a small, indoor setup. <Thinking a screen enclosure DIY>
3. Will they smell indoors either in the raising, breeding process, or when the chams munch on them with more volume and frequency?
4. Would their developmental stages be suitable for and successfully taken by hatchlings?
5. Would there be any danger of toxicity with feeding them in larger numbers, even with a controlled diet?

I mean, not to open a proverbial can of non-chameleon-standard worms here, we know that these aren't from Madagascar, right? So, the natural diet purists out there are going to say that it's just not natural!

It's all part of that same discussion on "How can we provide our captive population with the best dietary options within our means?".

Right, they are not specifically, from Madgascar, however many other true bugs are.

We can not really get, any or many of the insects from Madgascar here in the states. Closest we can get is Pinkwings, Ghost Mantids, and Hissers. Beyond that, we are forced to accept related species.

Looks like my local DNR list some information about them, but they are not included in the "Pests of concern" list, so not illegal for me to have.

Back
Top Bottom