Rudis chams, male or female?

I'll guess male on this one also but it is kinda hard to tell. They look like they are doing well so maybe just keep posting up pics.

We never get tired of pictures here! :)

Carl

Ok I'll keep posting lol I want to get a pic of the one that's definitely male when he does red spots and orange stripes, it's so pretty

Does anyone know if it's normal for a trioceros sternfeldi male to have red spots? Is it a special morph? Or is it just normal?

2agerypa.jpg

Here's another of the one I hope is female

Now that they're a little older, male or female?

Here are pics of my chams tails, they both have little bumps so I think they're males, just want a second opinion

Hey Cait0420 you are going to have to post some clearer pictures of your supposed pair. It’s difficult for my old eyes to see any the see the things I’m looking for. Also because you are using Tapatalk its hard see which photos you are referencing as a male. It would be easier if you put all the females photos into a post and labelled them as such; the male photos in a different post.

At a young age it is somewhat difficult to sex the Trioceros sternfeldi but the males do have a subtle hemipenal bulge. After about 3 months of age they can be sexes with ease. Males tend to be more rugose (rough looking) and the dorsal crest is somewhat larger and extends further on to the tail than on the females. In some populations of sternfeldi the females have blue eyes but that should not be used a gender indicator in every case. I kept the uncommon Mt. Hanang ‘Red’ Sternfeldi and both sexes had bright blue eyes.

Here are some photos of young male Trioceros sternfeldi. Notice the thicker tail base.

DSC_002120070223_zpsb5d222e3.jpg

DSCF0018-031207_zps4530ac3f.jpg

I don’t think your ‘pair’ is truly captive bred but, and I hate to use captive hatched in the case of live bearers, but nobody in Ontario has worked with this species in a while so I think the mother was a recent wild caught that gave birth in the shop and these are the offspring. Besides a proper breeder would be able to sex these correctly and sell you a pair. I’ve written a bit about why I think this in this post: https://www.chameleonforums.com/can-someone-help-128703/#post1123634 Younger sternfeldi are a bit more challenging to care for than adults so make sure they are getting proper humidity and temperatures.

I'm still leaning toward male on the second on Caitlin. Like Trace mentioned it is tough when they are this young. I do see the dorsal crest extending to almost mid way into the tail which is what I see on my male and not my female.

I'll post some pics of my young male, young female and the gravid female for you to compare between the two sex's.

Carl

Back
Top Bottom